Thread: Found my oldest silver coin in Ohio trip! (202 years old!!!)

Threaded View

Found my oldest silver coin in Ohio trip! (202 years old!!!)

So, as I said in another post the other day, me and my dad went on a little Ohio trip for a day, and I did a bit of research to find some old parks and towns in general. I managed to find a town with a reaaaaallllly old park, the town was founded in the 1820s i beleive, and this town square was the public square since the beginning of the town. On our way to Ohio, I told my dad i had a feeling it was gonna be a good day for at least one of us, and i also said i was hoping to find my new oldest silver coin. We hit a park that i found, and found NOTHING, so we moved on to a town about 2 miles north. I made the decision that at these old parks i was going to dig every signal i got. We pull up to the park, and they're starting to set up for a farmer's market, so we knew we couldn't be there toooooo long. After about 5 or 10 minutes tops, i get a solid 12-18 signal down about 5 inches. I dig the hole, and pull out a small dirty coin, and after a bit of rubbing it looks a little silver, but my dad and I weren't too sure if it was even a coin, but i had a feeling it was something kind of old. After a bit of cleaning and a bit of research, I find out it is an 1815 25 Centime from Haiti! My previous oldest silver was probably 1870s i believe, and I topped that by quite a bit! Here are some pictures of the coin before and after cleaning, and what it looks like undug.
    Name:  coin (1).jpg
Views: 183
Size:  69.0 KBName:  coin (4).jpg
Views: 177
Size:  63.6 KBName:  coin (3).jpg
Views: 178
Size:  74.2 KBName:  coin (2).jpg
Views: 188
Size:  76.6 KBName:  coin (1).jpg
Views: 184
Size:  44.7 KB

Sorry if these images look bad, i'm not too sure how to attach the images like I see people do on the forum lol, they just end up like this, i will try to see if i can figure this out lol! It was AMAZING digging this and figuring out what it is. 202 Year old silver coin. From Haiti. Wow.

This isn't even everything from the trip! I just wanted to make a separate post for this, because of the little bit of story to go with it haha. My dad will be posting the rest of the trip tomorrow!
    Last edited by DiggerAl; 07-31-2017 at 12:50 AM.