Thread: 3 hunts, a few good scores!

3 hunts, a few good scores!

Hi all,
    First off, I started last Friday morning at a small park. This is the one I posted about last time. Well, cleaning up the wheats and cataloging them I realized one of them was a possible rarity. Turns out that it probably is the 1944 D over S variety when I looked at it under the scope! The moral is to always check your coins even when they may seem to be the common ones. You just never know!

Sunday I had an invite to join Hiluxota at his dream stream. Huge thanks for that! The downside is that since the site was hijacked there isn't much left that is easily found. I really had to work hard and mostly only came up with a few large lead sinkers and lots of junk. But I did have one amazing find which was a nice shiny 1895 V nickel. Sorry about the photo, forgot to take pics before I carded it.

Today I got out for about 30 minutes before work at a tiny park. Really trashy but I did manage a 44 wheatie and a white powdery coated dime. I thought it was just a clad Rosie until I cleaned it. Turns out it's a really rough 1946. Hey, it's silver so it counts!
    Thanks for reading. GL&HH!

Edit: Typo on the date on the Rosie. Fixed from 1945 to the correct date of 1946.

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Digger_O'Dell; 09-25-2017 at 11:53 PM.
    Equipment:
    Minelab: CTX 3030, GPX 4800, X-Terra 705. Whites TDI SL.

2024: Silver 1, Gold 0
    Best finds: 28 silver dime spill, 1800s Dutch customs seal.
    Oldest/best coins: Late 1700's Chinese Cash Coin, 1837 Upper Canada large cent, 1877 Seated Dime
    Oldest Relic find: 1800 Sailors Luck token
    You Tube: Rediscovering America
    Quote: Treasures are like potato chips, you can never have just one!

Nice going on your good scores especially your overprinted wheatie .Most likely you rough Roosie is a 1946 as
    1945 was the last year for the Mercury series .It's great that you are still pulling coins ( and good ones from that same site) .

Quote Originally Posted by Cheap Thrills View Post
    Nice going on your good scores especially your overprinted wheatie .Most likely you rough Roosie is a 1946 as
    1945 was the last year for the Mercury series .It's great that you are still pulling coins ( and good ones from that same site) .
    Thanks for catching that, it is indeed a 1946. Sorry for the typo.
    Equipment:
    Minelab: CTX 3030, GPX 4800, X-Terra 705. Whites TDI SL.

2024: Silver 1, Gold 0
    Best finds: 28 silver dime spill, 1800s Dutch customs seal.
    Oldest/best coins: Late 1700's Chinese Cash Coin, 1837 Upper Canada large cent, 1877 Seated Dime
    Oldest Relic find: 1800 Sailors Luck token
    You Tube: Rediscovering America
    Quote: Treasures are like potato chips, you can never have just one!

Elite Member
    Nice finds, that water hunting is harder then it looks. I have found a total of 2 memorials this year. Congrats on your much nicer find. WD
    Total silver 3 - Goal 50 (2024 Finds) - 0 Washington - 0 Barber Dimes - 0 Mercury Dimes- - 3 Roosevelt Dimes - 0 V Nickels - 0 Buffalos - 0 War Nickels - 0 Indian - 10 Wheats - $ 3.44 in clad
    Relics: MILESTONES since 2012: 1700 silver coins - 8000 Clad Quarters - 500 Roosevelts - 750 Mercury Dimes

I have watched Hiluxyota's videos on YouTube. It's amazing how shiny the nickels are that come out of the stream! That 1895 nickel is a wonderful find.

Lifetime totals:
    10 Large Cents, 415 Indian Heads, 2 Two Cent Pieces, 1 Capped Bust Half Dime, 1 Seated Half Dime, 10 Shield Nickels, 68 V Nickels, 124 Buffalo Nickels, 31 War Nickels, 16 Seated Dimes, 131 Barber Dimes, 405 Mercury Dimes, 249 Rosies, 4 Seated Quarters, 18 Barber Quarters, 20 Standing Liberty Quarters, 89 Silver Washingtons, 1 Seated Half, 3 Barber Halves, 16 Walking Liberty Halves

YouTube Channel: Tony Two-Cent https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCmz...RlHTBIU42bUORg

Very cool. I can't remember the last time I found a V nickel. But I do remember the first one I found !
    Oldest find: 5,000 year old copper spearhead
    Oldest coin: 1699 William III halfpenny
    Purdiest coin: 1832 Capped Bust quarter
    Coolest find: USA button with blue threads still on shank

"He who would search for pearls must dive below."