Thread: Multiple hunts, several sites. Some goods, and a scare.

Multiple hunts, several sites. Some goods, and a scare.

Hi all,
    Sunday I was able to get out for a couple hours after work to hit the local beach one last time this year. Working the less popular end I had hoped to maybe find something good. Some clad turned up as did a couple junker rings.
    Monday was my big day out. The first site was an inland lake that has been lowered 7 feet recently to try killing off an invasive plant over the winter. As it turned out I must have been far from the first to hit this place as it was pockmarked with holes and little was found in the swim area or boat launch. Luckily there was a small area of water at the end of the swim area that held a nice silver pendant and a small silver ring that looks like it's been there 100 years.
    The next stop was at a place that I saw in an older news article about an abandoned resort. I stopped there and found it was now state property turned into a pay to hike/park site so was off limits to detecting. But just down the road I found a tiny roadside park with a cabin on it. Sign said it was the original site of the 1850s cabin which was restored by a local historical club. Nothing posted about no detecting here so gave it a try.
    Here I found a couple late rosies and some clad. But once I moved to the edge of the road I started hitting a few deep items. There was a nice toe tap, a pocket watch case half marked warranted sterling line, and another odd item I have posted in the what is it section. Researching the watch case I found one reference to in an 1871 newspaper ad, but the manufacturer and other info was blocked unless I paid a fee.
    I wasn't there 20 minutes before a state park ranger rolls up and walks over to me. Uh Oh! He tells me that's this site is state property too and I wasn't allowed to hunt there. Apparently someone called and reported that I was digging up the whole place! Wow...But the guy was nice enough and saw that the report wasn't true. And once I also explained that it wasn't posted or marked on the map as state lands he let me off with a warning. Phew! Scared me to death for a while.
    Next I was off to 3 more inland lakes which turned up little but clad and lots of existing holes in the lake bottom. Again, too late for the goodies I guess.
    Lastly I stopped at the old zoo again to work a tearouts of some walkways and a parking lot. Sure enough, late again! Lots of filled holes where I planned to hunt. So for the last hour of the day decided to work another area. Here I popped an early wheat and a tar covered aluminum token. Once I got to work today I was able to use some solvent to clean it off. One side says "Math Schein" with 25c on the other. Doing a bit of research I found that "Math Schein" was actually the name of a guy living here on the 1940 census, born about 1895 in Hungary. All in all, not a bad day.

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Digger_O'Dell; 10-04-2017 at 09:46 PM.
    Equipment:
    Minelab: CTX 3030, GPX 4800, X-Terra 705. Whites TDI SL.

2024: Silver 1, Gold 0
    Best finds: 28 silver dime spill, 1800s Dutch customs seal.
    Oldest/best coins: Late 1700's Chinese Cash Coin, 1837 Upper Canada large cent, 1877 Seated Dime
    Oldest Relic find: 1800 Sailors Luck token
    You Tube: Rediscovering America
    Quote: Treasures are like potato chips, you can never have just one!

Forgot the toe tap photos.

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Digger_O'Dell; 10-04-2017 at 08:39 PM.
    Equipment:
    Minelab: CTX 3030, GPX 4800, X-Terra 705. Whites TDI SL.

2024: Silver 1, Gold 0
    Best finds: 28 silver dime spill, 1800s Dutch customs seal.
    Oldest/best coins: Late 1700's Chinese Cash Coin, 1837 Upper Canada large cent, 1877 Seated Dime
    Oldest Relic find: 1800 Sailors Luck token
    You Tube: Rediscovering America
    Quote: Treasures are like potato chips, you can never have just one!

Well you sure did some digging. Got yourself some silver, some artifacts and a almost heart attack. Park Rangers can be nice people. You handled the situation well....

Nice pile of clad and sorry to hear of your late appearance at the lowered lake. That would have been the site I'd be betting on for some goodies.
    V3i- Prism IV- Pro Pointer
    2020 GOAL: Any Flowing Hair coin

TOTAL 100 YEAR OLD COINS - -280
    2020:
    Silver: 11

Oldest U.S. Copper - 1795 Liberty Cap
    Oldest U.S. Silver - 1829 Capped Bust Dime extra large 10C
    Click here to view my album

Yep you did well overall. I was fortunate about 4 years ago to be the first to a lowered lake beach....It was AWESOME! I went there everyday during my lunch break and other detectorists did show up eventually. I ended up with a few gold items and over 50 silver coins/rings.
    Detectors I use: Minelab Equinox 900 & Manticore
    Favorite finds I have made:
    1,000+ silver coins
    92pcs of 1700's Trade Era Silver
    Copper Culture Indian Artifacts
    125+ War of 1812 Era buttons and relics
    My wife
    (probably should have started with that one)

Elite Member
    Nice finds. Good choice on hunting locations as the ground is getting quite dry. Took some days off to hunt but the rain may do me in. Congrats on the silver and relics. WD
    Total silver 3 - Goal 50 (2024 Finds) - 0 Washington - 0 Barber Dimes - 0 Mercury Dimes- - 3 Roosevelt Dimes - 0 V Nickels - 0 Buffalos - 0 War Nickels - 0 Indian - 10 Wheats - $ 3.44 in clad
    Relics: MILESTONES since 2012: 1700 silver coins - 8000 Clad Quarters - 500 Roosevelts - 750 Mercury Dimes

Nice going on your finds . I'm sure glad you didn't get sent off to prison . Don't you just love busybody snitches who are afraid to see someone having fun ?