Thread: More old coins and relics from November

More old coins and relics from November

Hi folks and here's hoping you all had a great Thanksgiving! Here's pics from my last three hunts, mainly from mid to late November. Hit two permission sites and one on public property. Ironically the shortest of the three hunts yielded the best goodies. Nabbed two wheats (1925 & 1936), an 1865 IH and a decent 1775 KG3 halfpenny. Also found several flat buttons, buckles and lead - mainly typical fare for those. I'd like your take on the triangular lead item with loop. Could be junk but the equilateral triangle pattern makes me think it may be decorative, like something for leather or horse tack? Let me know your opinions on that one. It's gonna be turning quite a bit colder in the coming weeks so I'm not sure how much more decent hunting time I have left until spring 2018. I'll certainly try if the weather permits. Have a great Christmas and New Years all!

John

Name:  wideshot.jpg
Views: 107
Size:  33.2 KBName:  button1.jpg
Views: 102
Size:  40.8 KBName:  button2.jpg
Views: 99
Size:  38.3 KBName:  IH_1865.jpg
Views: 101
Size:  19.5 KBName:  lead_mystery.jpg
Views: 106
Size:  42.8 KBName:  KG3_obverse.jpg
Views: 105
Size:  23.3 KBName:  KG3_reverse1.jpg
Views: 104
Size:  23.6 KB
    Vermont relic hunting, one swing at a time.
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCG2...OLib30A/videos

Nice hunts John , the triangular item is curious . It could of been a latch to a leather handbag , or similar but the King George looks to be in very decent shape . I suspect its a contemporary british counterfeit and is that a counter stamp on it ?
    "Honesty is an expensive gift ,
    so don't expect it from cheap people"

XP Deus II , DFX ,TDI sl -

Click here to view my finds album

Good hunting John. I agree with Dan on the triangular piece. May be the last weekend of good hunting weather here in Wisconsin too since the mention of the possibility of snow this next week. Happy holidays to you as well!
    Equipment:
    Minelab: CTX 3030, GPX 4800, X-Terra 705. Whites TDI SL.

2024: Silver 1, Gold 0
    Best finds: 28 silver dime spill, 1800s Dutch customs seal.
    Oldest/best coins: Late 1700's Chinese Cash Coin, 1837 Upper Canada large cent, 1877 Seated Dime
    Oldest Relic find: 1800 Sailors Luck token
    You Tube: Rediscovering America
    Quote: Treasures are like potato chips, you can never have just one!

Quote Originally Posted by del View Post
    Nice hunts John , the triangular item is curious . It could of been a latch to a leather handbag , or similar but the King George looks to be in very decent shape . I suspect its a contemporary british counterfeit and is that a counter stamp on it ?
    Thanks for the possible ID Dan. That makes more sense than something decorative. I thought the obverse mark on the KG3 may be a counterstamp as well, but it's just crude enough to make me second guess whether it's just natural corrosion. In my reading I see that quite a bit of those older KG3's are either American or British counterfeits. You're much more of an expert than I. How can you tell? It rang up with a VDI of ~80 on my AT-Pro, though the diameter is a little less than the 29-30mm quoted for the genuine coin (~ 27 mm).

Quote Originally Posted by Digger_O'Dell View Post
    Good hunting John. I agree with Dan on the triangular piece. May be the last weekend of good hunting weather here in Wisconsin too since the mention of the possibility of snow this next week. Happy holidays to you as well!
    Thanks much. Yeah, I'm becoming confined more and more just to valley floor sites now. Mountains will be locked down and frozen for good here in a week or two through next March.

Many of the American British counterfeits were made in New York (Machin Mills) and their listed or noted very well here http://www.novanumismatics.com/engra...eit-halfpence/ the counterfeit British coins are a bit harder to identify but there is some links available and there are a couple of gentlemen (members here ) who know their British coins .
    "Honesty is an expensive gift ,
    so don't expect it from cheap people"

XP Deus II , DFX ,TDI sl -

Click here to view my finds album

Congrats, John! Here's to a mild winter with little snow
    On Instagram- oxshoedrew

Interesting KG John. A couple of interesting mystery pieces too.
    Oldest find: 5,000 year old copper spearhead
    Oldest coin: 1699 William III halfpenny
    Purdiest coin: 1832 Capped Bust quarter
    Coolest find: USA button with blue threads still on shank

"He who would search for pearls must dive below."

Quote Originally Posted by del View Post
    Many of the American British counterfeits were made in New York (Machin Mills) and their listed or noted very well here http://www.novanumismatics.com/engra...eit-halfpence/ the counterfeit British coins are a bit harder to identify but there is some links available and there are a couple of gentlemen (members here ) who know their British coins .
    Great. Thanks Dan!

Quote Originally Posted by OxShoeDrew View Post
    Congrats, John! Here's to a mild winter with little snow
    For sure Drew. Thanks much.

Quote Originally Posted by Lodge Scent View Post
    Interesting KG John. A couple of interesting mystery pieces too.
    Thanks Jeff. Yeah, I seem to be on a stretch of pulling oddities lately.