Thread: Sutlers Token

Sutlers Token

I found this token with 5 others as well as 11 Union and Confederate buttons Friday. They were all about 6 inches deep and enclosed in a plastic tub inside a cardboard box on my front porch! They were a Christmas present from my brother. I have identified all the buttons and most of the tokens and have been able to read some of the lettering on the token in question. Pictures are not the best and the token is in poor shape so I need some expert help in determining just what it is.
    There is an eagle on the front with wings spread and something in its talons. On the back in the center is the number 5. Across the bottom starting about the 8 O'clock position and going to about the 4 O'clock position are the words "1st VA CAVALRY" Across the top is the sutler's name but I can't make all of it out I think it Says "L Goldheim".
    So, can anyone tell me about my token
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    My wife does all the driving, I just hold the steering wheel!

It wasn't uncommon for soldiers to make ID tags from tokens and or coins , sounds like this may be one
    "Honesty is an expensive gift ,
    so don't expect it from cheap people"

XP Deus II , DFX ,TDI sl -

Click here to view my finds album

"Honesty is an expensive gift ,
    so don't expect it from cheap people"

XP Deus II , DFX ,TDI sl -

Click here to view my finds album

Thanks for the link. Here's an excerpt from it about the 25 cent token. Mine is a 5 cent one and I, nor my brother who found it can find out anymore about it. I would think there would be more 5 cent ones than 25s but I haven't found another 5 cent one posted anywhere.

1st Virginia Cavalry War Sutler token. L. Goldheim / 25 Cents/ 1st Virginia Cavlary. Reverse: Federal-style eagle, wings spread, arrows and olive branch in talons, 13 stars around. Brass. 18mm. Not more than, and possibly less than, ten exist.
    My wife does all the driving, I just hold the steering wheel!