Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Got my oldest US coin yesterday!

Got my oldest US coin yesterday!

Yesterday, March 3, I met up with Digger Don at an old town that isn't too far from me. All of these finds were from door knocking permissions. Me and Don had a really fun day of detecting! The weather was gorgeous and we made a few interesting finds.

At a house built in 1864 I found my oldest US coin, an 1825 Large Cent! There is a hole where the date is but you can still make out the digits. I haven't cleaned it yet. What would be the best way? Just a toothpick?
    Name:  1825 LARGE CENT A.jpg
Views: 259
Size:  72.9 KBName:  1825 LARGE CENT B.jpg
Views: 261
Size:  70.4 KB

The Indian Heads and Barbers were hiding from us, but I did end up with three silver coins.
    Name:  KEEPERS.jpg
Views: 267
Size:  77.5 KB

The Wheat Cents sorted by decade. I did find a semi-key 1931-D.
    Name:  WHEATS.jpg
Views: 244
Size:  58.1 KBName:  1931 D WHEAT.jpg
Views: 258
Size:  61.9 KB

I got a few interesting relics including my first railroad key and a heel plate.
    Name:  RELICS.jpg
Views: 256
Size:  55.1 KBName:  SOAP TOKEN B.jpg
Views: 231
Size:  84.0 KBName:  SOAP TOKEN A.jpg
Views: 241
Size:  88.5 KBName:  RR KEY.jpg
Views: 233
Size:  63.3 KBName:  ROUND.jpg
Views: 255
Size:  74.3 KBName:  LOCK.jpg
Size:  47.4 KBName:  HEEL PLATE.jpg
Size:  77.6 KBName:  FANCY.jpg
Views: 256
Size:  44.2 KBName:  TIP.jpg
Views: 227
Size:  33.7 KB

Do you like these slate roof nails? If so, I can show you where you can find a few thousand of them.
    Name:  SLATE NAILS.jpg
Views: 248
Size:  48.6 KB

It was a super fun day of detecting! Huge thanks to Don for coming down to southern Illinois to detect with me!
    Lifetime totals:
    10 Large Cents, 415 Indian Heads, 2 Two Cent Pieces, 1 Capped Bust Half Dime, 1 Seated Half Dime, 10 Shield Nickels, 68 V Nickels, 124 Buffalo Nickels, 31 War Nickels, 16 Seated Dimes, 131 Barber Dimes, 405 Mercury Dimes, 249 Rosies, 4 Seated Quarters, 18 Barber Quarters, 20 Standing Liberty Quarters, 89 Silver Washingtons, 1 Seated Half, 3 Barber Halves, 16 Walking Liberty Halves

YouTube Channel: Tony Two-Cent https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCmz...RlHTBIU42bUORg

Tony, huge congrats on your oldest US coin (so far). Got yourself a nice early merc also. Any idea of what railroad that key went to?
    Nice heel plate also. For years I have wanted to start a collection of nice roof slate nails, I see you are off to a good start with them.
    V3i- Prism IV- Pro Pointer
    2020 GOAL: Any Flowing Hair coin

TOTAL 100 YEAR OLD COINS - -280
    2020:
    Silver: 11

Oldest U.S. Copper - 1795 Liberty Cap
    Oldest U.S. Silver - 1829 Capped Bust Dime extra large 10C
    Click here to view my album

Congrats on the large cent and some nice silver, I also like the thing with the heart on it an the thing right below it
    Minelab Equinox 800, Whites MX Sport

Nice Tony ! That 31-d is in great shape.

It was a great day Tony and you did quite well.
    I think the only thing I beat you on yesterday was the amount of slate roofing nails I dug. Lol.
    I'm sure glad we found that house, it saved the day. Quite a few good finds from that yard.
    Congrats on the Largie, heel plate anf RR key. Awesome finds.
    I hope we can do it again real soon!!!
    Oldest Coin: 1699 William III Halfpenny

Silver 5
    Indian 3, Buff 1, V Nik 1, Rosie 2, Barber Dime, SLQ 1, barber qtr 1,

YT Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCoU...FVGumMQ/videos

Congrats on your oldest coin!!

I don't clean my old coppers much at all. The chemicals on the old farm fields in New Jersey are just brutal on the coppers and a lot of details will fall off with cleaning. I just normally run them under warm water, give them a gentle finger run and them put them in a holder.
    -------------------
    Oldest coin: Roman Silver Denarius (Titus) 79-81 AD / Oldest US coin: 1786-1788 NJ Copper (x4)
    Best relics: Medieval lead seal matrix (1200s) / 1789 George Washington Inaugural Button (x2)
    Deus II / Equinox 900 - Personal website: www.Detectorist.com

WTC on the LC an other finds! I'd soak the LC in warm soapy water & use a toothpick to remove the crud.
    Minelab Manticore / SPECTRA V3i, Pro-Pointer II. Lesche Digger.
    Oldest Copper: 1694 William & Mary Halfpenny. Oldest Silver: 1663 1-Reale
    Cob.

My Album

Nice finds Tony. Congratulations on the largie and civil war heel plate. I dislike those slate tile nails so much! They ring up like indian head cents every time. Best wishes and HH Dave.
    Oldest Coin: 100-60 BC Gallic bronze coin (Sequani Tribe)
    Oldest Silver Coin: 1156 hammered Pfennig from (now) Bavaria
    Oldest U.S. coin: 1805 Draped Bust Large Cent
    Best Coins EVER: 1625 4 Sols from Kingdom of Chateau Renaud, France
    1662 15 Kreuzers, Leopold I, Austria
    Best Relics: Bronze Age Arrowheads & Spearhead, 2c Roman silver ring, complete medieval knight's spur (x6)
    YouTube Channel: Full Metal Digger

Great job on the silvers and especially the LC!
    Detectors I use: Minelab Equinox 900 & Manticore
    Favorite finds I have made:
    1,000+ silver coins
    92pcs of 1700's Trade Era Silver
    Copper Culture Indian Artifacts
    125+ War of 1812 Era buttons and relics
    My wife
    (probably should have started with that one)

I enjoy seeing the matron head coming out of the hole and that one looks in great condition for being dug & over 100 years, great find!

Huge congrats on your oldest coin! That heel plate is a sweet find too and one still on my bucket list as is the railroad key. Glad you got out with Don, can't ask for a better hunting partner!
    Equipment:
    Minelab: CTX 3030, GPX 4800, X-Terra 705. Whites TDI SL.

2024: Silver 1, Gold 0
    Best finds: 28 silver dime spill, 1800s Dutch customs seal.
    Oldest/best coins: Late 1700's Chinese Cash Coin, 1837 Upper Canada large cent, 1877 Seated Dime
    Oldest Relic find: 1800 Sailors Luck token
    You Tube: Rediscovering America
    Quote: Treasures are like potato chips, you can never have just one!

Now that's a great hunt, Tony! Super duper finds! If I had to pick one fav I'd go with a roofing nail No, I'd really go with the RR key. Those are interesting and rare. Congrats on your oldest!!
    On Instagram- oxshoedrew

Quote Originally Posted by aloldstuff View Post
    Any idea of what railroad that key went to?

The key is stamped VRR which must be the Valley Rail Road.

http://www.abandonedrails.com/Valley_Railroad
    Lifetime totals:
    10 Large Cents, 415 Indian Heads, 2 Two Cent Pieces, 1 Capped Bust Half Dime, 1 Seated Half Dime, 10 Shield Nickels, 68 V Nickels, 124 Buffalo Nickels, 31 War Nickels, 16 Seated Dimes, 131 Barber Dimes, 405 Mercury Dimes, 249 Rosies, 4 Seated Quarters, 18 Barber Quarters, 20 Standing Liberty Quarters, 89 Silver Washingtons, 1 Seated Half, 3 Barber Halves, 16 Walking Liberty Halves

YouTube Channel: Tony Two-Cent https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCmz...RlHTBIU42bUORg

I cleaned up the 1825 Large Cent as best as I could with a toothpick and gave it a coating of Ren Wax. It has some corrosion on the obverse and the unfortunate hole, but I am still thrilled with it!

Name:  1825 LC WAXED A.jpg
Views: 193
Size:  148.6 KBName:  1825 LC WAXED B.jpg
Views: 188
Size:  145.1 KB
    Lifetime totals:

I like the color it has! very dark. did you soak it in coffee? That hole is not unfortunate if you can see the date.
    Detectors I use: Minelab Equinox 900 & Manticore
    Favorite finds I have made:
    1,000+ silver coins
    92pcs of 1700's Trade Era Silver
    Copper Culture Indian Artifacts
    125+ War of 1812 Era buttons and relics
    My wife
    (probably should have started with that one)

Quote Originally Posted by Bucknut View Post
    I like the color it has! very dark. did you soak it in coffee? That hole is not unfortunate if you can see the date.
    It came out of the ground with that dark color. I kind of like it that way.

Here's the unsuspecting 1864 house where I found it. The owner was super nice.
    Name:  Large Cent House.jpg
Views: 186
Size:  84.6 KB
    Lifetime totals:

Yeah Tony, we can see your coffee-stained hole!
    Oldest Coin: 100-60 BC Gallic bronze coin (Sequani Tribe)
    Oldest Silver Coin: 1156 hammered Pfennig from (now) Bavaria
    Oldest U.S. coin: 1805 Draped Bust Large Cent
    Best Coins EVER: 1625 4 Sols from Kingdom of Chateau Renaud, France
    1662 15 Kreuzers, Leopold I, Austria
    Best Relics: Bronze Age Arrowheads & Spearhead, 2c Roman silver ring, complete medieval knight's spur (x6)
    YouTube Channel: Full Metal Digger

Congrats on your oldest American coin Tony .That is the most strategically placed hole I have seen yet .I would not consider the hole a bad thing at all being it was done as to not mess up the date identification . Actually it adds a little more history .

It almost looks like a bronze patina...very cool! Did you buff it after applying the ren wax?
    On Instagram- oxshoedrew

Huge Congrats on your oldest US Coin! That's one of those finds you will always remember!
    XP Deus