Thread: First Equinox hunts...I'm happy!

First Equinox hunts...I'm happy!

I received my Equinox 800 about 2 weeks ago but the weather has been really cold here and I have not been able to get out until this past weekend.

I have an old home site in a field behind my house that I have hammered with the Etrac and deus and pulled a seated Q, couple 2 cents, Indians and a few V's. On Saturday I finally had a chance to get out there. Its a good place to see how it will compare with the other detectors I have/had because there ain't much left. I did find a fair amount of targets but mostly they were very small pcs of lead or brass. This is to be expected though since this machine is geared toward small low conductors. BUT I did find a silver coin. It was not in the main iron patch area so I am sure the other machines would have seen it if their coil went over it. When I saw the silver rim I was thrilled and thought for sure I had a seated dime...not so fast Jared...it was just a 1964 D Rosie! I guess the farmer in the 1960's when they took down the home or cleaned up the rock pile or piled up the brush must have dropped it. So my first coin with the Equinox is a silver... that is kinda cool.

Then Sunday I met up with ScottyB at an old park that I have done decent at in the past. I ended up with 7 wheats, a musket ball, hem weight (not in pic) and a nice 1914 D barber dime. I think it performed very well! ScottyB found an amazing relic which he better post!

Name:  FullSizeRender (1).jpg
Views: 134
Size:  129.3 KB
    Name:  FullSizeRender.jpg
Views: 134
Size:  47.8 KB

So yes I am happy with these hunts for sure! I think that the Equinox will compliment my Etrac very nicely. I think it will be great in those very trashy areas and on the beaches. I have a few beach sites that I would love to take it to that I can't take the Etrac. But for now I do not think it will be my #1...maybe I will have a #1A and a #1B?

Couple things I do not like...
    first is that it is more confusing to navigate through the all of the options than the Etrac. This is simply bc I do not have the experience with it yet.
    I also think I am not doing the headphones correctly...I think I am pairing it new each time I turn it on. This takes a minute or so. After I post this I think I will watch how to do it on YouTube. On the deus ALL I had to do was turn the head phones on and turn the sound from the control box off.
    Also the VID numbers are not so accurate on deeper targets unlike the Etrac but I think I can get used to that.
    And finally I think the depth gage is not as accurate as the Etrac and because I hunt lots of parks I NEED to know the depth of the target.

Well I hope to get out more if the weather stays warm.
    Detectors I use: Minelab Equinox 900 & Manticore
    Favorite finds I have made:
    1,000+ silver coins
    92pcs of 1700's Trade Era Silver
    Copper Culture Indian Artifacts
    125+ War of 1812 Era buttons and relics
    My wife
    (probably should have started with that one)

Nice hunting and I love the clarity of your pictures . Thanks for sharing your views on the Equinox also . That Equinox looks pretty tempting . If I wasn't so old and did more detecting and just tired of buying new detectors , I'd be buying one in a quick minute .It's great to see it's working for you .

Glad to hear you got out weathers been hit or miss here moslty hit when I dont have time & miss when I do.... Happy to get your opinion on the equinox, I use an etrac and was curious how it matched up. Thanks for sharing. Some nice finds��

Seems like this new detector is making a big hit in our detecting world. Like Cheap Thrills stated "if i wasn't so old", that would probably be in my trunk. Congrats on your keepers.
    V3i- Prism IV- Pro Pointer
    2020 GOAL: Any Flowing Hair coin

TOTAL 100 YEAR OLD COINS - -280
    2020:
    Silver: 11

Oldest U.S. Copper - 1795 Liberty Cap
    Oldest U.S. Silver - 1829 Capped Bust Dime extra large 10C
    Click here to view my album

Bucknut always finds the Silver (darn him!)
    Equinox 800

I'm glad you like the EQX! I like it too...not being a Minelab guy, I'm still learning the aural language.
    I started on 2 tones, now am hunting in 5 tones because everyone is saying more tones give you more info. I'm digging coins but still digging cans. The depth meter is weird and I seem to be using it to help identify the target. On the T2 the tones told me everything I needed to know, depth, size shape etc. The "bloooble bloooble" high sounds on the EQX are still a mystery.

The one thing that came quickly was nickles. They make a clear, constant 13 and hit REAL hard in park2!
    Have you noticed Park1 doesn't separate well, even in highest separation?

I never found a Canadian cent like that. Pretty coin! Barbers are always special CONGRATS!!
    On Instagram- oxshoedrew

I'm glad your liking it, nice to start out with silver. Now if mine equinox would just get here.
    Minelab Equinox 800, Whites MX Sport

Quote Originally Posted by OxShoeDrew View Post
    I'm glad you like the EQX! I like it too...not being a Minelab guy, I'm still learning the aural language.
    I started on 2 tones, now am hunting in 5 tones because everyone is saying more tones give you more info. I'm digging coins but still digging cans. The depth meter is weird and I seem to be using it to help identify the target. On the T2 the tones told me everything I needed to know, depth, size shape etc. The "bloooble bloooble" high sounds on the EQX are still a mystery.

The one thing that came quickly was nickles. They make a clear, constant 13 and hit REAL hard in park2!
    Have you noticed Park1 doesn't separate well, even in highest separation?

I never found a Canadian cent like that. Pretty coin! Barbers are always special CONGRATS!!
    Those "blooble" high tones are usually big iron or electrical wires in my experience with both the Etrac and EQ800.

I hunt in 50 tones with the Etrac but so far I prefer the 5 tones with the EQ800 in park 1. Park 2 is set up in 50 tones but I am not used to the tones yet so I prefer the park 1.

Yes it hits the nickles pretty hard. I think the EQ800 compliments the Etrac (and probably the CTX3030) really well in that these FBS machines are very good at hitting the high tones (silver and copper) but the Equinox are apparently very good at hitting the lower tones. Plus it is much faster and lighter. I read a post on DetectorProspector.com from Steve Herschbach about the differences between the Equinox and the other Minelab machines. VERY interesting! well to me any way. Here is the link... http://www.detectorprospector.com/fo...ersus-equinox/
    Detectors I use: Minelab Equinox 900 & Manticore
    Favorite finds I have made:
    1,000+ silver coins
    92pcs of 1700's Trade Era Silver
    Copper Culture Indian Artifacts
    125+ War of 1812 Era buttons and relics
    My wife
    (probably should have started with that one)

Thanks, it was a very interesting discussion/post!
    On Instagram- oxshoedrew

The early reviews on Equinox performance are looking VERY promising. Not only is it looking to be an excellent but inexpensive all-around detector, but it is looking particularly deadly with its iron separation ability.
    Oldest find: 5,000 year old copper spearhead
    Oldest coin: 1699 William III halfpenny
    Purdiest coin: 1832 Capped Bust quarter
    Coolest find: USA button with blue threads still on shank

"He who would search for pearls must dive below."

I would be happy too!

A 100+ year old silver coin plus some old wheat cents. I really like that 1932 Canadian Cent! They don't show up very often in these parts.

Nice finds!
    Lifetime totals:
    10 Large Cents, 415 Indian Heads, 2 Two Cent Pieces, 1 Capped Bust Half Dime, 1 Seated Half Dime, 10 Shield Nickels, 68 V Nickels, 124 Buffalo Nickels, 31 War Nickels, 16 Seated Dimes, 131 Barber Dimes, 405 Mercury Dimes, 249 Rosies, 4 Seated Quarters, 18 Barber Quarters, 20 Standing Liberty Quarters, 89 Silver Washingtons, 1 Seated Half, 3 Barber Halves, 16 Walking Liberty Halves

YouTube Channel: Tony Two-Cent https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCmz...RlHTBIU42bUORg