Thread: Large And Small Silver - Met Up With Scott

Large And Small Silver - Met Up With Scott

I had an early start this morning, meeting up with Scott (catskillcomics) to hit one of the Connecticut parks. We showed up at a predetermined location, talked for a bit, and then headed out to do what we where there to do - detect.

It was a pleasure to meet you Scott! Thank you for meeting up with me. Hopefully we can do it again sometime soon, though next time I wouldn't mind making the trip down your way.

Well, I had an area set for us to work, and as we started to walk we decided to swing the coil while heading there. As it turned out, though, we hit on a few targets while on the way, so we ended up remaining at that location for most of the day. It was yielding the good stuff!

My first silver was a 1941 mercury dime, and a short time later I scored with another, dated 1937. Scott, too, scored with a merc, dated 1917. Another forty five minutes passed by before I hit on another good target. It was a large disk, so at first I thought I had hit on a large cent. But a closer inspection revealed something else - a 1840 Victoria Halfpenny Token.

Nearly an hour goes by before I came across a sweet sounding tone. The depth gauge estimated a depth of 8 1/2 to 9 inches, and it was pinpointing small. I wasted no time cutting a plug and digging up some soil. When I used the probe to locate the target the reading was a steady Fe 7, Co 47/48, that of a half dollar. I was smiling. Sure enough, a few scoops later I had in my hands a beautiful 1903 Barber half!

I was stoked after that half, but my adrenaline went through the roof when I hit on another great tone about eight feet from where I dug up the half. I pinpointed, dug up about four inches of soil, and called Scott over. I began to dig again, and after scooping out another three or four inches of soil Scott and I saw the glint of silver. We were staring at a 1917 Standing Liberty quarter! Sweet!

After a while Scott and I decided to walk to the site we had intended to hit. From there I dug up three more silver dimes, two mercs from the same hole, dated 1940-D and 1944, and a 1946 Rosie.

Here is the 1940-D mercury dime embedded in a clump of soil.

The large silver together.

And the silver dimes.

I also dug up a good number of wheat cents.

This sports medallion was reading much like a clad quarter would.

I ended up with a good amount of clad coins too, 29 of them quarters.

HH!

Re: Large And Small Silver - Met Up With Scott

OMG - WOW! Very nice work!
    MXT, Explorer SE Pro

WTG!!! Very nice digs!

I enjoyed hearing about this hunt, especially since I love this particular park. It is a hunted out park, and then some. I want to go back!

Beautiful barber half Angel. And the 1917 SLQ is an excellent find.

I love that half penny as well. Just that alone would have made my day.

You didn't tell me about the medallion.
    Minelab E-Trac/Sun Ray X-1 -- Minelab Sovereign GT/Sun Ray S-1 -- White's v3i/Sun Ray DX-1
    Fisher CZ3D -- Tesoro Tiger Shark -- Garrett ACE 250

Quote Originally Posted by Epi-hunter View Post
    I enjoyed hearing about this hunt, especially since I love this particular park. It is a hunted out park, and then some. I want to go back!

Beautiful barber half Angel. And the 1917 SLQ is an excellent find.

I love that half penny as well. Just that alone would have made my day.

You didn't tell me about the medallion.
    I had intended to, but I started swinging soon after digging it up and forgot.

I was happy to see that the SLQ's date could be made out.

Great digs Angel! Is that a Type I SLQ?
    [move]White’s MXT Minelab E-Trac Oldest coin: 1875 Indian Head Cent Oldest Silver Coin: 1886 Seated Liberty Dime[/move]

Those are amazing finds Angel. You never cease to amaze in what you can pull from the ground. I love how you can see the original grass marks on the SQL. I typically find that when two coins are sandwiched together. That one must have been stomped into the ground.
    Minelab E-Trac, Sunray X-1 probe
    White's SM2
    White's SM PI pro

Check out my treasure hunting videos at http://www.youtube.com/user/TheSilverFiend

http://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Si...03270629825473

http://www.thesilverfiend.com

Thanks guys.

Quote Originally Posted by OkieDigger View Post
    Great digs Angel! Is that a Type I SLQ?
    It's a type 2 actually.

Very sweet day Angel! Great digs.

When Scott 1st called me I knew he would be looking for an etrac. Actually I knew he'd see the Minelab advantage a while back. Now that I have a better handle on my SE, I too have to decide if I should consider switching myself. Some folks I know have done this only to return to the SE.

Hope I can join u 2 next time.

Aaron
    And now the metal detectorist pledge.
    "I pledge to do my honor, to do my best AND seriously investigate ALL deep signals!"

Minelab SE (Is there really any other manufacturer?) 2011 totals = 24 silver coins, 3 LC,1 war of 1812 artillary button , 1 token, 6 IH pennies, 1 2 cent piece

Quote Originally Posted by hockeyguy View Post
    Very sweet day Angel! Great digs.

When Scott 1st called me I knew he would be looking for an etrac. Actually I knew he'd see the Minelab advantage a while back. Now that I have a better handle on my SE, I too have to decide if I should consider switching myself. Some folks I know have done this only to return to the SE.

Hope I can join u 2 next time.

Aaron
    Thanks Aaron. I had hoped that you could join us, but perhaps next time.

great barber half dollar and standing liberty Angel , what can i say you are a machine my friend .
    "Honesty is an expensive gift ,
    so don't expect it from cheap people"

XP Deus II , DFX ,TDI sl -

Click here to view my finds album

Quote Originally Posted by angellionel View Post

It was a pleasure to meet you Scott! Thank you for meeting up with me. Hopefully we can do it again sometime soon, though next time I wouldn't mind making the trip down your way.
    Absolutely, would enjoy having you here in NY.. I had a great time yesterday.. Thanks again!
    Equipment: Garrett AT Pro

Quote Originally Posted by angellionel View Post
    It's a type 2 actually.
    Ok, too dirty on the back to see the stars. That's how I usually check.
    [move]White’s MXT Minelab E-Trac Oldest coin: 1875 Indian Head Cent Oldest Silver Coin: 1886 Seated Liberty Dime[/move]

Another incredible hunt Angel! WTG on all the silver especially the nice Barber Half and SLQ! You gotta love the parks you have out that way!

Man, for a hunted out park it sure keeps delivering the goods. Nice finds Angel.. I really like the Baseball medallion..

Bruce
    Minelab E-Trac
    Whites DFX
    Garrett Pro Pointer

Outstanding as usual Angel. Sure do wish we had some of those parks up here but alas, I have to beat the brush heavy to get anyof the decent finds. Well done my friend.