Thread: Detecting With Tony Two-Cent and Digger Al

Detecting With Tony Two-Cent and Digger Al

Friday was my son's 18th birthday and at dinner he told me he wanted to go out for some detecting Saturday. I called Tony and asked if he would like to join us and unlike a lot of the house we knocked on Saturday, I Got a Yes!!

We met up at an 1891 courthouse at about 8:00AM. My very first good target was a wheat and my second was a my first silver of the day, a 1912-D Barber dime. After that, it slowed down to nothing but clad. But before we left, I did get a nice 12-45 and dug a very small piece of silver from the University of Illinois. It looked like it should have been attached to someting bigger so back in the hole I went. I was right, in the same hole was the ring it came off of.

Alec dug two indians there, an 1886 and a 1906.

After the courthouse, we started door knocking and boy was it rough, tons of no answers!!
    We did a get into a few yards. Tony took the prize for the most silvers, but I did manage a 1959-D Rosie, a 1935 Washington and 3 tokens from the Star bakery, all from the same yard.

The last house of the day I pulled an older watch FOB. at first I thought it was from the YMCA but then realized that the large Y on it represented the three branches of the chicago river.

All in all it was a great day hunting with Alec and Tony. Thanks Guys!!
    Attached Images Attached Images        
    Oldest Coin: 1699 William III Halfpenny

Silver 5
    Indian 3, Buff 1, V Nik 1, Rosie 2, Barber Dime, SLQ 1, barber qtr 1,

YT Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCoU...FVGumMQ/videos

Great finds ! A Washington quarter from the 30's or 40's was always a special find for me , now finding a red (oxidized) one with the eagle on back is (lol) . I remember the days when permissions were easy to get also , not any more .

It was great hunting with you and Alec, Don! I love that fob! Very cool. The silver U of I ring is a great find also.

Alec got the oldest coin and you got the oldest silver and the only silver quarter of the day. Good job!
    Lifetime totals:
    10 Large Cents, 415 Indian Heads, 2 Two Cent Pieces, 1 Capped Bust Half Dime, 1 Seated Half Dime, 10 Shield Nickels, 68 V Nickels, 124 Buffalo Nickels, 31 War Nickels, 16 Seated Dimes, 131 Barber Dimes, 405 Mercury Dimes, 249 Rosies, 4 Seated Quarters, 18 Barber Quarters, 20 Standing Liberty Quarters, 89 Silver Washingtons, 1 Seated Half, 3 Barber Halves, 16 Walking Liberty Halves

YouTube Channel: Tony Two-Cent https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCmz...RlHTBIU42bUORg

Nice catch on that silver ring! Also a nice couple old coins, and those tokens are cool. Five cents for a loaf of bread dates them to around 1910.
    Equipment:
    Minelab: CTX 3030, GPX 4800, X-Terra 705. Whites TDI SL.

2024: Silver 1, Gold 0
    Best finds: 28 silver dime spill, 1800s Dutch customs seal.
    Oldest/best coins: Late 1700's Chinese Cash Coin, 1837 Upper Canada large cent, 1877 Seated Dime
    Oldest Relic find: 1800 Sailors Luck token
    You Tube: Rediscovering America
    Quote: Treasures are like potato chips, you can never have just one!

Global Moderator Fire Fighter 43's Avatar
    Cool ring Don, congrats on a nice hunt.

Minelab Equinox 800, 15”Coiltek, 11” & 6”coils

XP Deus II , 11", 9” & 11x13 coils

Detectors since 1977: Simplex, DEUS, CTX 3030, F75 Ltd, Etrac, Excal II, V3i, DFX, GTI2000, Eagle II, 6000DI, 6DB, AlaskanTR4B, Beachcomber

WTG on piecing that ring back together. We here in MA sorely lack in finding tokens so I always appreciate it when others post them. You and your group always get some neat goodies. What do you think the reason is behind all the "no's"?
    V3i- Prism IV- Pro Pointer
    2020 GOAL: Any Flowing Hair coin

TOTAL 100 YEAR OLD COINS - -280
    2020:
    Silver: 11

Oldest U.S. Copper - 1795 Liberty Cap
    Oldest U.S. Silver - 1829 Capped Bust Dime extra large 10C
    Click here to view my album

Quote Originally Posted by aloldstuff View Post
    WTG on piecing that ring back together. We here in MA sorely lack in finding tokens so I always appreciate it when others post them. You and your group always get some neat goodies. What do you think the reason is behind all the "no's"?
    It wasn't so much the no's as it was all the no answers. I bet 80% of the house I knocked at no one answered the door!!
    Oldest Coin: 1699 William III Halfpenny

Silver 5
    Indian 3, Buff 1, V Nik 1, Rosie 2, Barber Dime, SLQ 1, barber qtr 1,

YT Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCoU...FVGumMQ/videos

Nice assortment of finds Don. I'm glad you were able to meet up with Tony. I can't wait to go look at his post! Best wishes and HH, Dave.
    Oldest Coin: 100-60 BC Gallic bronze coin (Sequani Tribe)
    Oldest Silver Coin: 1156 hammered Pfennig from (now) Bavaria
    Oldest U.S. coin: 1805 Draped Bust Large Cent
    Best Coins EVER: 1625 4 Sols from Kingdom of Chateau Renaud, France
    1662 15 Kreuzers, Leopold I, Austria
    Best Relics: Bronze Age Arrowheads & Spearhead, 2c Roman silver ring, complete medieval knight's spur (x6)
    YouTube Channel: Full Metal Digger

You had a good hunt overall Don!
    The ring is a sweet find! And of course I'm really liking the the tokens! And you got 3 of them!
    Looks like a pocket full of fun to me!
    Congrats!
    Some days you get the corn, some days you get the cob
    ​Oldest coin: ​70 B.C. "Harlow Flyer" gold qtr. Stater
    Oldest U.S. coin: 1814 Capped Bust Dime

My favorite hunts are the ones with a wide variety of finds, and I agree with Al, we hardly find any tokens in New England so great hunt!