Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Colonial hunting with Del

Colonial hunting with Del

Today was a gorgeous day out. Finally no heat stroke lol No bugs, no rain, no 98+ sun thumbsup01 We got to a site that has been pretty good to us and is an older site. Started at sunrise and my very first hit was a George II copper What a great start. I thought it was a large cent because it's about twice as thick as it should be. I guess it's the original attempt at making a coin ring out of it. No date on it, but we know it should be in the 1730's. Got a good assortment of buttons, only one Tombac has a design. The pewters are shot. Found the world's largest safety pin Managed a 1905 Barber dime on the road. On a park day against the Master, I would have said Hah, I got a Barber and that trumps your Mercs lol, but at a cellar hole I just say I want a Capped Bust Dime lol Had a great day out today and time sure flew.
    Attached Images Attached Images     
    Finding relics is in my blood

GPX 5000, CTX 3030, E Trac, Vista Gold

Re: Colonial hunting with Del

nice stuff G.makes ya wonder how those targets go undetected on previous hunts
    one more closer to your goal! how'd Dan O do?
    2008-14 coppers
    2009-32 coppers
    2010-34 coppers 2-GW buttons
    2011- 80 & 3/4 coppers 1-GW button
    2012- 92 coppers/large cents 1-GW button
    2013- 57 1/4 coppers 6- GW Buttons
    2014- 69 coppers 1-GW button
    2015- 20 1/4 coppers
    2016-44 coppers 1-GW button
    2017-19 & 1/2 coppers
    2018-19 coppers 1-GW
    2019-5 coppers
    click to see my photo album

Those are some sweet finds, George. Even the Barber dime coming from a cellar hole would have me smiling, though I know exactly what you mean that it should by right have been a Capped coin. lol The weather was definitely much better today, not like the oven we faced this past Thursday. stretcher:

Quote Originally Posted by HEAVYMETALNUT View Post
    nice stuff G.makes ya wonder how those targets go undetected on previous hunts
    one more closer to your goal! how'd Dan O do?
    Dan O found some good odd stuff. This copper I found was at about 7 and was angled for sure. The numbers bounce a certain way when it's angled or on edge. Add perfect pre sunrise ground conditions and some iron right next to it and it's no wonder it was missed. If I walked any other direction I would have missed it. The Barber was on a road that we didn't hunt before. It was real close to iron and was about 5 deep. Dan checked it with his DFX and said there are two targets real close together. I thought I had another copper lol, as the numbers are the same for large coppers and silver. The E Trac was hitting pretty good today, but I did run out of battery. Note to self: Get an extra battery

Quote Originally Posted by angellionel View Post
    Those are some sweet finds, George. Even the Barber dime coming from a cellar hole would have me smiling, though I know exactly what you mean that it should by right have been a Capped coin. lol The weather was definitely much better today, not like the oven we faced this past Thursday. stretcher:
    It's like night and day on the hunt. Thursday, you sweat just by being there lol Today, you could run a marathon and not sweat. See you later Summer and thank you Fall lol

hey you found the pin to your diaper lol lol

nice day George , congrats on the extremely thick King George II and the barber dime .
    and some decent relics

yes you couldn't ask for better weather (very cool with overcast and gentle breezes) to detect out in the woods we got some rain from hurricane Earle , but it just wasn't enough to soak the ground , just the leaves and maybe an inch or two down. Coinnut and i were discussing how the detectors would react if we didn't get enough rain . well to my dfx it made the iron sound very good so i dug alot of it today :bangahead01: :bangahead01: old cut nails , and the usual flatstock iron . but i did find a few targets mixed in with it , one was a small copper and tin medallion with what looks like maybe a ship (it a little hard to make out if anyone sees something different , please chime in) and the other was a deep tombac button . also in todays catch was a copper-alloy handledknife (without blade) 3 small calibur musket ball couple more buttons a spoon end and a lead and tin counterfiet of an 1812 classic head style large cent .
    Attached Images Attached Images       
    "Honesty is an expensive gift ,
    so don't expect it from cheap people"

XP Deus II , DFX ,TDI sl -

Click here to view my finds album

the bobsy twins did good! some neat and interesting stuff Dan!
    the weather was great.no bugs either!
    2008-14 coppers
    2009-32 coppers
    2010-34 coppers 2-GW buttons
    2011- 80 & 3/4 coppers 1-GW button
    2012- 92 coppers/large cents 1-GW button
    2013- 57 1/4 coppers 6- GW Buttons
    2014- 69 coppers 1-GW button
    2015- 20 1/4 coppers
    2016-44 coppers 1-GW button
    2017-19 & 1/2 coppers
    2018-19 coppers 1-GW
    2019-5 coppers
    click to see my photo album

Veteran Member

Nice hunt guys. That safety pin reminds me of the kind you would see in cartoons to fasten baby diapers.
    Oldest: 1755 Spanish silver; 1800 half dime | 1842 seated half | 1857 seated quarter | 516 silver coins in 2011!

Looks like a pretty clean site vegetation wise. Got some nice finds guys.Might just be one of those sites that you let cool down for a year or so and it opens back up.
    For every relic that rots away........a piece of history is lost.

Quote Originally Posted by del View Post

hey you found the pin to your diaper lol lol

rofl I know you're getting him back for the 'depends undergarment' remark the other day

Quote Originally Posted by del View Post
    ...tin medallion with what looks like maybe a ship (it a little hard to make out if anyone sees something different , please chime in)
    Is there anything on the back of the medallion Dan? It does look kinda like a steam boat or barge, w/ the big '3 part sail' in the front and waves beneath.
    Oldest silver-- 1838o seated dime (no stars)
    Oldest copper-- 1820 LC

White's V3i, Coinmaster, XLT, Prism IV, Whites new TRX PP- Love it!!! Garretts PP

Quote Originally Posted by coinnut View Post
    No date on it, but we know it should be in the 1730's.

Congrats on all your buttons (does that make 507 from the button factory site?) barber and King George Btw, what's your oldest coin?
    Oldest copper-- 1820 LC

White's V3i, Coinmaster, XLT, Prism IV, Whites new TRX PP- Love it!!! Garretts PP

Quote Originally Posted by tanacat View Post

Congrats on all your buttons (does that make 507 from the button factory site?) barber and King George Btw, what's your oldest coin?
    No we moved to our corral site, so the button count stops until next Spring when the ground is saturated with moisture. We'll go back then and I bet we get more buttons from there. My oldest coin has to be the French coin I found a couple of weeks ago, probably around 1660's give or take. Oldest datable coin is the coin I found with that French coin which is a Wood's Hibernia 1722 Half Penny.

Is there anything on the back of the medallion Dan? It does look kinda like a steam boat or barge, w/ the big '3 part sail' in the front and waves beneath.
    Tana , when i first dug it i thought it has some very faint writing on the back but it turned out to be just crusty dirt . so its just plain on the back no writing .

"Honesty is an expensive gift ,
    so don't expect it from cheap people"

XP Deus II , DFX ,TDI sl -

Click here to view my finds album

Great finds guys!! Looks like a nice area and clean cellar hole. Been a few months since I've been out.Can wait to go out with del now that the kids are in school. Who took the pics?, Dan? He has a nice camera. Maybe we can go out again coinnut also. Dan likes to go out Friday mornings while the kids are in school. See ya soon hopefully. Oh by the way, is that the spot we went to the time the 3 of us went out?
    " What doesn't kill you makes you stronger"

Great hunt guys... a plus on silver in the sticks!!
    Equipment: Garrett AT Pro

Hey King George, did you clean up that King George? lol Just curious how it looks now that you've scrubbed it with a wire brush
    Oldest copper-- 1820 LC

You guy's are the cellar hole kings.
    Minelab E-Trac, Minelab CTX 3030, XP Deus, Tesoro Cortes

Hey King George, did you clean up that King George? lol
    did you bow to the King? lol It looks as good as it did when I found it, even after the brass brush...crappy lol Actually I gave it a hot peroxide bath and only parted his wig with the brass brush, but the soil in that area isn't real nice on the coppers. That is the after cleaning picture It's all about location, and you are stuck with what you get.

Quote Originally Posted by trout-hunter View Post
    You guy's are the cellar hole kings.
    Thanks Ernie, we try hard, but sometimes we get more than other times. It's never easy, but it is lots of fun

Did you say you are a proud supporter of olive oil baths? lol Or is that Dave who's such a skeptic...
    Oldest copper-- 1820 LC

Did you say you are a proud supporter of olive oil baths? lol Or is that Dave who's such a skeptic...
    Olive oil baths only work for people like you who have kind soil lol Our soil is so bad that some Memorials are unreadable It laughs at olive oil But seriously, if you have just dirt on your coppers, then olive oil is a great way to loosen some of that dirt. I've seen some of the early Wheats and Indians from the midwest, that still have a nice brown color to them. Olive oil would be ideal then. But for us greenies olive oil would need 3 years to even begin to work lol I can't wait that long - where's that Dremel tool? rofl

Great finds George . I always love seeing those pictures of where you guys hunt , great pictures of great scenery . thumbsup01 thumbsup01