Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Colonial hunting with Del

Re: Colonial hunting with Del

Quote Originally Posted by Sheik Yerbooty View Post
    Great finds George . I always love seeing those pictures of where you guys hunt , great pictures of great scenery . thumbsup01 thumbsup01
    I second that emotion!

Quote Originally Posted by coinnut View Post
    Olive oil baths only work for people like you who have kind soil lol Our soil is so bad that some Memorials are unreadable It laughs at olive oil But seriously, if you have just dirt on your coppers, then olive oil is a great way to loosen some of that dirt. I've seen some of the early Wheats and Indians from the midwest, that still have a nice brown color to them. Olive oil would be ideal then. But for us greenies olive oil would need 3 years to even begin to work lol I can't wait that long - where's that Dremel tool? rofl
    lol @ the dremel tool. So is your soil more acidic? You are closer to the ocean? I'm not even sure exactly where you live, just that you are near the east coast?

Doesn't it vary in any ecosystem due to the soil types in that area? Like where deciduous plants vs coniferous plants grow, clay soil vs sandy, etc... I'd like to know more about soils and geographic effect on coins/metals... Know where to start, have you found any good info?
    Oldest silver-- 1838o seated dime (no stars)
    Oldest copper-- 1820 LC

White's V3i, Coinmaster, XLT, Prism IV, Whites new TRX PP- Love it!!! Garretts PP

Tana , George lives in a cave lol just 10 to 15 minutes north of me , into Massachusetts and yes the soil can vary to very mineralized to pretty mild in other areas but years of acid rain in the past can do a number to some metals .copper because of its properties can take a beating especially when theres more clay in the soil , it holds the water , while the sandier soil drains much better and the coins will hold up well.

the best advice i could give to you Tana is don't let George clean your coins lol rofl
    "Honesty is an expensive gift ,
    so don't expect it from cheap people"

XP Deus II , DFX ,TDI sl -

Click here to view my finds album

Quote Originally Posted by del View Post
    Tana , George lives in a cave lol just 10 to 15 minutes north of me , into Massachusetts and yes the soil can vary to very mineralized to pretty mild in other areas but years of acid rain in the past can do a number to some metals .copper because of its properties can take a beating especially when theres more clay in the soil , it holds the water , while the sandier soil drains much better and the coins will hold up well.

the best advice i could give to you Tana is don't let George clean your coins lol rofl
    Hey, it's my cave and I own it so We have acid rain and a combination of bad drainage and other minerals which combine to make copper salts which eat coins. And for the record, when Dan ruins his coins he blames the soil. When the soil ruins my coins, Dan blames me What a smuck rofl
    Finding relics is in my blood

GPX 5000, CTX 3030, E Trac, Vista Gold

Acid rain... I guess it would be worse around there because of more population/industry/like as in you're closer to NYC

I'm sorry but I'm skeptical about the acid rain eating your coins more than would here.... To think of it being that bad some places depresses me, it's prob true.... I remember catching rain in a cup and drinking it about 40 yrs ago :-\

Oldest copper-- 1820 LC

White's V3i, Coinmaster, XLT, Prism IV, Whites new TRX PP- Love it!!! Garretts PP

Awesome finds!!

You guys have motivated me to do a few cellar hole hunts this fall. It is possible that 2 out of the 3 places I have discovered have been hunted, but one of them I doubt. Can't wait until the skeeters come down a few notches!!

Congrats on your treasures.

Quote Originally Posted by tanacat View Post
    I remember catching rain in a cup and drinking it about 40 yrs ago :-\
    Well that explains everything rofl

That is what I call a Colonial success. <: I love the chape and the copper is dandy as well. Fall is here, man, and the fields are getting ready for the picking. Take care, George!

Kirk

Quote Originally Posted by KirkPA View Post
    That is what I call a Colonial success. <: I love the chape and the copper is dandy as well. Fall is here, man, and the fields are getting ready for the picking. Take care, George!

Kirk
    Thanks man. Fall is the best time of year for hunting, (next to Spring thaw that is lol) I'm really liking the no bugs, and flies weather. Good luck to you guys in them fields!!!

Quote Originally Posted by coinnut View Post
    Well that explains everything rofl
    HA HA Just saw that lol
    Oldest copper-- 1820 LC