Thread: Rosa Americana penny, pewter buttons.

Rosa Americana penny, pewter buttons.

Day didn't start off well. I had planned to get out by 05:30 to hike to some favorite remote sites to see what I could sniff out with the high frequency coil but I over slept 2 hours. Then as I was getting ready to head out the door I noticed my cell phone was almost dead. Not sure what happened because I did put it on the charger. Anyway, the wife hates it when I go off into the woods with out my phone so I hung around another hour to charge up my phone. It was 8:30 by the time I got out the door. It was too late in the day for the original plan so Plan B was initiated . I hit a favorite little cellar hole site closer to home instead. It's not really far off the beaten track but it's right up against a swamp and there are no stone walls to give it away.

The HF coil loves those low conducting targets and true to form it sniffed out some pewter buttons and some sort of pewter pendant. The last find of the morning was the 1722 Rosa Penny...or what's left of one.

Normally I wouldn't dream of doing electrolysis on a "copper" but I have dug a few other Rosa's all in better shape than that, and have seen some guy do electrolysis with fair results on his really bad Rosas. To be clear, this is a super toasted coin and I understand I could make it even worse. If it was my only one, I would not even try.

There must have been a Barred owl's nest near by. I had a pair scolding me when I was down at one end of the site. It's amazing the sounds they can make.

Jeff
    Oldest find: 5,000 year old copper spearhead
    Oldest coin: 1699 William III halfpenny
    Purdiest coin: 1832 Capped Bust quarter
    Coolest find: USA button with blue threads still on shank

"He who would search for pearls must dive below."

Nice finds and good luck with the cleaning. Looks like the soil isn't too kind to metals there.
    Equipment:
    Minelab: CTX 3030, GPX 4800, X-Terra 705. Whites TDI SL.

2024: Silver 1, Gold 0
    Best finds: 28 silver dime spill, 1800s Dutch customs seal.
    Oldest/best coins: Late 1700's Chinese Cash Coin, 1837 Upper Canada large cent, 1877 Seated Dime
    Oldest Relic find: 1800 Sailors Luck token
    You Tube: Rediscovering America
    Quote: Treasures are like potato chips, you can never have just one!

So many of my trips turn out to be "plan B's " . It's nice that you were able to make lemonade out of lemons .Congrats on your 1722 Rosa , much , much better than a 62' Rosie .

This is why plan B's are important. Congrats on the finds and please show us the end result of the cleaning. Seems like a lot of pewter finds??
    V3i- Prism IV- Pro Pointer
    2020 GOAL: Any Flowing Hair coin

TOTAL 100 YEAR OLD COINS - -280
    2020:
    Silver: 11

Oldest U.S. Copper - 1795 Liberty Cap
    Oldest U.S. Silver - 1829 Capped Bust Dime extra large 10C
    Click here to view my album

Congrats on the finds and very interesting read about the HF coil.
    XP Deus

Rare one, Jeff! Close up?
    On Instagram- oxshoedrew

Thanks Gents.

Quote Originally Posted by Digger_O'Dell View Post
    Nice finds and good luck with the cleaning. Looks like the soil isn't too kind to metals there.
    DO'D, soil isn't too bad here. Pewter just doesn't hold up well like brass or copper. And those Rosa coins don't hold up well due to the way the planchets were struck hot.

Quote Originally Posted by Cheap Thrills View Post
    Congrats on your 1722 Rosa , much , much better than a 62' Rosie .
    I don't know about that CT. Looking at my records, over the years I have found 4 Rosas and only 3 silver Rosies. Based on that evidence I have to conclude that a Rosie is the better find

Quote Originally Posted by aloldstuff View Post
    This is why plan B's are important. Congrats on the finds and please show us the end result of the cleaning. Seems like a lot of pewter finds??
    Al I am not surprised at all the pewter finds. I've hit that site about 8 times and sniffed out the brass and tombacs and higher conducters. The HF coil I used this hunt is super sensitive to those lower conducting metals like pewter.

Quote Originally Posted by Donnie B View Post
    Congrats on the finds and very interesting read about the HF coil.
    Donnie B I am hoping that HF coil will get me one of the hammered silvers like you got

Quote Originally Posted by OxShoeDrew View Post
    Rare one, Jeff! Close up?
    Rare and ugly Drew. It's ugly even for a Rosa. I can't make it much uglier if I try electrolysis.

Nice snags Jeff! You know, and I'm not suggesting you do this, but on my wasted coppers I actually use a brillo, or SOS pad to get what's left of any detail from the coin. It shines it smooth but lets you see the original design and makes it look nicer imo. Of course, any copper with partial patina left or a rarer date I wouldn't ever use that method. Just a suggestion.

John
    Vermont relic hunting, one swing at a time.
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCG2...OLib30A/videos

That might be worth a try John.....can't hurt it. Those Rosas are 25% zinc and the surface blisters badly.....my hopes aren't too high for any cleaning method.

Donnie B I am hoping that HF coil will get me one of the hammered silvers like you got

I hope you find one! My Pine Tree is actually not hammered although it's the closest I have ever gotten to finding one. It was made on a screw press. The earlier New England's and Willow Trees were hammered. The Oak Trees were made on a rocker press as well as the large planchet Pine Trees. The small planchet Pine Trees were made on a screw press. I would love to find all four varieties but, especially, the Willow Tree because most of them exhibit multiple hammer strikes and doubling.
    XP Deus

Jeff the Rosa coin has eluded me still , congrats on you finding one this year .
    "Honesty is an expensive gift ,
    so don't expect it from cheap people"

XP Deus II , DFX ,TDI sl -

Click here to view my finds album

Funny how that works Dan. You have a stack of Fugios so high that you can't see over it, but somehow you have managed to not to put your coil over a Rosa.

Quote Originally Posted by Lodge Scent View Post
    Funny how that works Dan. You have a stack of Fugios so high that you can't see over it, but somehow you have managed to not to put your coil over a Rosa.

Its an odd hobby for sure Jeff , Dave Wise has 13 GW buttons 12 eagle types but only 1 other variety . I thought a liberty cap penny was going to be my "White whale" until last year when I finally got one .

P.S. my fugio "stack" has been greatly exaggerated sir !
    "Honesty is an expensive gift ,
    so don't expect it from cheap people"

XP Deus II , DFX ,TDI sl -

Click here to view my finds album