Thread: A few eagle buttons

A few eagle buttons

Got out for a hunt yesterday but couldnt go far storm was heading in, went to a area I have pounded and decided to work slow over an area that is loaded with trash and old burn pits, dug the normal trash ( a lot ) but managed 3 buttons in total, one a four holes button reads Hobson brothers 53 Piccadilly , last was a screaming high tone I was expecting a mason jar lid but out popped this infantry eagle cuff button I knew that wasn’t the signal and pinpointed another infantry eagle coat button, both are in good shape but have a black patina from the burn pit it came from, I am sure the rest of the buttons are around, im thinking they burned the entire uniform but it was near impossible to isolate another signal ( machine was jumping all around from all the signals) and its a public park so I can’t just dig and screen it all out, I am thinking this place had an encampment of some kind , Before these buttons I’ve dug a general service cuff button, a navy coat button, a cavalier saber hat pin and a a burnside carbine with cartridge attached ( the cartridge has since dissolved) the 2 button are back marked Horstmann & Allien Ny dates are 1850-1877. I reached out to the town historian and they have no information on the property prior to 1880 although I have located colonial items here. I guess it’s also possible that this was just a large military family that believed in the union? Curious non the less.
    Attached Images Attached Images       

Quote Originally Posted by Oneil1979 View Post
    its a public park so I can’t just dig and screen it all out
    Says who???? LOL, great finds. I really like the 4-hole button with a front mark. I've never seen one before. Congrats on sniffing out those treasures in a junky place. HH, Dave.
    Oldest Coin: 100-60 BC Gallic bronze coin (Sequani Tribe)
    Oldest Silver Coin: 1156 hammered Pfennig from (now) Bavaria
    Oldest U.S. coin: 1805 Draped Bust Large Cent
    Best Coins EVER: 1625 4 Sols from Kingdom of Chateau Renaud, France
    1662 15 Kreuzers, Leopold I, Austria
    Best Relics: Bronze Age Arrowheads & Spearhead, 2c Roman silver ring, complete medieval knight's spur (x6)
    YouTube Channel: Full Metal Digger

Some good looking buttons!!! What's that round thing center right of first pic? I hope there is more land to check as you know how to hunt that site!
    On Instagram- oxshoedrew

Nice finds. While the backmark was used from 1850-1877 your buttons date no later than 1854 unless they are officer ones. In 1854 the letter designation was removed and all enlisted corps used the same button.
    My wife does all the driving, I just hold the steering wheel!

nice buttons!
    Best finds GW Button and John Adams Cufflink.
    Trust in the Lord...

Quote Originally Posted by OxShoeDrew View Post
    Some good looking buttons!!! What's that round thing center right of first pic? I hope there is more land to check as you know how to hunt that site!
    Drew the round item is a key face plate unfortunately the box with the gold coins it was attached to has eluded me, total park is 30 acres.

Thank you fyrffyter for the information That would make since considering the house stood from mid 1700’s until early 1800’s latest coin ive found around this area was 1838 most the coins fall pre 1850.

Quote Originally Posted by Oneil1979 View Post
    Drew the round item is a key face plate unfortunately the box with the gold coins it was attached to has eluded me, total park is 30 acres.

That's OK. You are still making some nice finds. Three nice buttons!
    Oldest find: 5,000 year old copper spearhead
    Oldest coin: 1699 William III halfpenny
    Purdiest coin: 1832 Capped Bust quarter
    Coolest find: USA button with blue threads still on shank

"He who would search for pearls must dive below."

Some very nice finds in some horrible conditions. Congrats on those keepers and I hope the box with the gold coins arrives soon.
    V3i- Prism IV- Pro Pointer
    2020 GOAL: Any Flowing Hair coin

TOTAL 100 YEAR OLD COINS - -280
    2020:
    Silver: 11

Oldest U.S. Copper - 1795 Liberty Cap
    Oldest U.S. Silver - 1829 Capped Bust Dime extra large 10C
    Click here to view my album