Thread: Street tearout, part 2

Threaded View

Street tearout, part 2

Hi all!
    Got out Saturday for a little more tearout hunting. The first road I had high hopes for was a total bust. Guessing Milco was there first!

So I went back to the street I worked previously though I didnt think I would find much since it wasn't dug out nearly as deep. Well, it was hit and miss. I didnt find the loads of IHs I was hoping for, but did manage a couple wheats. I did find some rather interesting relics to make up for the lack of coins.

The first surprise was a Waterbury 3 piece WW1 button. That took a bit of work to clean because it had concrete stuck to the front. Next find I thought was more junk, but turned out to be a rolled souvenir penny from the 1939 New York Worlds Fair- The world of Tomorrow.

But the "star" of the hunt turned out to be the bottom half of a Grand Army of the Republic pin medallion. It was pretty rough when I found it, but 6 plus hours soaking in CLR really did the trick!

Researching this, I found the GAR is a fraternal organization of Civil War veterans run like the military. Only the "official" medals were to be worn, which were issued by their quarter master and made from CW cannons. Each one was serial numbered to prove authenticity, and and GAR member found to be wearing a fake was subject to a dishonorable discharge from the organization. Unfortunately they didnt keep records of who got which serial number, so it can't be traced to the owner.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Digger_O'Dell; 09-23-2018 at 07:17 AM.
    Equipment:
    Minelab: CTX 3030, GPX 4800, X-Terra 705. Whites TDI SL.

2024: Silver 1, Gold 0
    Best finds: 28 silver dime spill, 1800s Dutch customs seal.
    Oldest/best coins: Late 1700's Chinese Cash Coin, 1837 Upper Canada large cent, 1877 Seated Dime
    Oldest Relic find: 1800 Sailors Luck token
    You Tube: Rediscovering America
    Quote: Treasures are like potato chips, you can never have just one!