Thread: Quest Xpointer- Good

Quest Xpointer- Good

The Xpointer from Quest MDs is a real winner. It offers more than the Garrett Propointer for less money. Check it out!
    On Instagram- oxshoedrew

My Makro PP crapped out on me Drew so I am in the market. Was going to get the XP pinpointer (I can get the audio through my wireless earphones), but that Quest unit looks good for the price. Are you using it?

Jeff
    Oldest find: 5,000 year old copper spearhead
    Oldest coin: 1699 William III halfpenny
    Purdiest coin: 1832 Capped Bust quarter
    Coolest find: USA button with blue threads still on shank

"He who would search for pearls must dive below."

Just received it yesterday, Jeff. Too cold to use it now...but I tested it and it works just like the Garret black Propointer, only better.
    1- It's orange. If the Garratt wasn't black I'd still have it.
    2- The holster (and the entire product) looks as rugged as the Garrett.
    3- It has a cord (like the old telephone cords) to hook on to the holster.
    4- It has caps so you don't wear away the tip. (although...I wore away the tip on my first garrett, but haven't in years. I think when you get better you know where targets are and don't "dig" with your pointer as much).
    5- Second button allows you to turn off the sound and use vibration only. I don't know if I'll use this or not.
    6- It immediately sounds on targets just like the Garrett and has a good variation in tone as the target gets closer. The sens might be higher than the Garrett...I'll test it when I get home. I don't know if I want more sens on my pin pointer. I'll answer that in the field.
    7- Four levels of adjustable sensitivity.
    8- Chirps if you leave it on for 3 min so you can find it.
    9- Only $89.
    Last edited by OxShoeDrew; 01-18-2019 at 04:31 PM.
    On Instagram- oxshoedrew

Thanks for the tip. I have been thinking about getting another pinpointer just because. My Garrett carrot works pretty good, but for $89.00, good to have a backup.
    Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Waterproof Pinpointer, CTX3030 with 6,11,17" coils.

Thanks for the review drew! I'll keep my eye out on future updates.
    Minelab Manticore / SPECTRA V3i, Pro-Pointer II. Lesche Digger.
    Oldest Copper: 1694 William & Mary Halfpenny. Oldest Silver: 1663 1-Reale
    Cob.

My Album

I'm sure I'll be in the market soon enough. Gives me something to think about.
    Some days you get the corn, some days you get the cob
    ​Oldest coin: ​70 B.C. "Harlow Flyer" gold qtr. Stater
    Oldest U.S. coin: 1814 Capped Bust Dime

I just tested the Xpointer vs. my trusty (kinda) black Garrett...the one I didn't lose. Let me explain... these Garretts are great for about two or three years of daily use, then they start to chirp whenever they're turned on....but they only do this malfunction intermittently...like every 4th time they're turned on...so I can use it in a comparison. When these Garretts started doing this I'd buy another and keep the old one for "friends" . So I had three of them..until I lost my third.

Anyway, both the Garrett and Xpointer have the same characteristics when tested on a LC. Both start ringing 1.5 to 2 inches away and get faster as you move closer. The Garrett does have a faster sound off when first hitting the target. Garrett chirps at 150 BPM and the Xpointer 110.
    The Xpointer has adjustable sensitivity. I didn't try this and not certain why I'd need it. I guess I need sensitivity training.
    BUT it also chirps if you leave it on for 3 minutes!!! This would be helpful when I leave the darn thing at a hole.
    On Instagram- oxshoedrew

My Garrett carrot intermittently beeps about every fourth time too. When I put new/different battery in it seems to go away (even if new battery was in when it intermittently chirped).

Quote Originally Posted by badgers325 View Post
    My Garrett carrot intermittently beeps about every fourth time too. When I put new/different battery in it seems to go away (even if new battery was in when it intermittently chirped).
    Wow, I'll try it!
    On Instagram- oxshoedrew

Quote Originally Posted by OxShoeDrew View Post
    I guess I need sensitivity training.
    Yes, you are a lout Drew

But you've pretty much sold me on the Xpointer. I like the adjustable sensitivity feature. I never understood why you would want your pin pointer sounding off 6 inches away from the target. That's what your metal detector is designed for.

Thanks for the product review.
    Oldest find: 5,000 year old copper spearhead
    Oldest coin: 1699 William III halfpenny
    Purdiest coin: 1832 Capped Bust quarter
    Coolest find: USA button with blue threads still on shank

"He who would search for pearls must dive below."

The thing started acting up a month ago. So I got 5 good months.
    Now it works when it wants to. Some hunts I turn it on and it makes my EQN go crazy while it starts repeatedly chirping. Other hunts it works fine.
    ...and I was complaining about getting a year or two from my Garrets.
    On Instagram- oxshoedrew

Thanks for the update OxShoeDrew! I use rechargeable batteries in my Garrett Carrot. I find that the EBL 600mAh 9V works best. I have no idea what any of this means, but I bought two different style batteries. The EBL 280 mAh seems to make the Garrett just turn off when in use and I would get more falsing. Maybe I am just losing my mind, but as I throw away (recycle) the batteries that make the carrot go bonkers, I haven't had any issues. This year has been perfect so far (last year I was ready to put my carrot in a hole and let some other MDer have a great find). Had the carrot now for 3 years in wind, rain, water etc. Only replaced the o-ring once due to my carelessness.

So, after half a season, I'm sorry to say I'd never buy another Xpointer from quest. It only lasted months before giving me fits. Now, even the holster broke. My old Garretts lasted two or three seasons and the holsters NERVER broke.

I guess I could get them to replace it but I don't really like it when it IS working.
    After turning it on, it gives a short ring just as you touch the dirt...you always think it's the target...I can't get used to that.
    Then the vibrate/sound/sens button is too close to the on/off...I'm always accidentally changing the settings.

I've learned I do not need to change the sensitivity on my pointer. Just give me an inch and a half then I can plan where to dig next.

Sorry I was so excited when I first received it...and I'm sorry if mine is just a clunker...so why don't you just ignore this entire thread.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    On Instagram- oxshoedrew

Thanks for the updates on this product. I will stick with the Garrett carrot. Other than it turning off once in awhile on me, it seems to work great.

Quote Originally Posted by badgers325 View Post
    Thanks for the updates on this product. I will stick with the Garrett carrot. Other than it turning off once in awhile on me, it seems to work great.
    I'm really confused about the pointer metal detectors. I seen identical-looking metal detector pointers on one site for $15 Ultra sensitive... It appears as though the same pointer is on a different site for $70. Well I ordered the $15 one. They even demonstrated it in a video where they poke it in the hole and wiggle it around and It produced The High beep when it was right on top of the target. So exactly what are the pros and cons for these pointer detectors?

Sent from my SM-J737A using Tapatalk