Thread: Between the Storms

Threaded View

Between the Storms

My buddy and I managed to get in about two hours between the storms that rolled through south Georgia today. He took me to the site of a native American settlement that disappeared in the early 1800s after being wiped out by the Militia in a case of mistaken identity. They thought they were invading a hostile site when in fact the inhabitants were friendly. Despite having to sit out two brief rain storms we were able to pull some interesting relics from the area. His first find was a musket ball followed by a copper point. I was constantly finding small pieces of copper and my friend told me that the indians used any metal they could for points and clothing decorations.
    After hunting for a while I finally got a decent signal and dug a small flat button. Soon after I got my first rolled copper point followed by another button, a copper tinkler and a few pieces of lead. Then, I got the best find of day in the shape of a small silver cone, Again, my buddy informed me that it was an earring. Then the big rain hit and we had to call it a day. I can't wait to get back to this site and see if there are any more houses in the area.
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    My wife does all the driving, I just hold the steering wheel!