Thread: A little help:)

A little help:)

Got out for the first time this year!! Found a few nice items I will post later right now I need help identifying this item. It is a badge about 1 1/2 inches in the middle is what appears to be a coin in 3D. It appears to be Lincoln! The coin reads united stated of America 189? Looks like an 8 but needs more cleaning. The back isn’t cleaned yet but I believe it’s an Indian head that been altered. Your help is appreciated
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Got home cleaned it up and it is a Indian that has been altered, pretty sure it’s a watch fob, unique and I am happy to have it

A pop out coin mounted onto a fob! That has got to be incredibly rare! It's usually a silver coin made into jewelry but an indian head cent? How crazy is that!
    Oldest Coin: 100-60 BC Gallic bronze coin (Sequani Tribe)
    Oldest Silver Coin: 1156 hammered Pfennig from (now) Bavaria
    Oldest U.S. coin: 1805 Draped Bust Large Cent
    Best Coins EVER: 1625 4 Sols from Kingdom of Chateau Renaud, France
    1662 15 Kreuzers, Leopold I, Austria
    Best Relics: Bronze Age Arrowheads & Spearhead, 2c Roman silver ring, complete medieval knight's spur (x6)
    YouTube Channel: Full Metal Digger

Yeah, looks like Lincoln. That is a VERY cool find.
    Oldest find: 5,000 year old copper spearhead
    Oldest coin: 1699 William III halfpenny
    Purdiest coin: 1832 Capped Bust quarter
    Coolest find: USA button with blue threads still on shank

"He who would search for pearls must dive below."

I only count 8 stars on it???
    V3i- Prism IV- Pro Pointer
    2020 GOAL: Any Flowing Hair coin

TOTAL 100 YEAR OLD COINS - -280
    2020:
    Silver: 11

Oldest U.S. Copper - 1795 Liberty Cap
    Oldest U.S. Silver - 1829 Capped Bust Dime extra large 10C
    Click here to view my album

That fob is spectacular! I have seen pop-out coins before but they are usually done on Barber Dimes. I've never seen one on an Indian Head Cent before. I wonder if it was done to commemorate Lincoln cents replacing Indian Heads in 1909?

What a wonderful find!

Lifetime totals:
    9 Large Cents, 415 Indian Heads, 2 Two Cent Pieces, 1 Capped Bust Half Dime, 1 Seated Half Dime, 10 Shield Nickels, 68 V Nickels, 124 Buffalo Nickels, 31 War Nickels, 16 Seated Dimes, 131 Barber Dimes, 405 Mercury Dimes, 249 Rosies, 4 Seated Quarters, 18 Barber Quarters, 19 Standing Liberty Quarters, 89 Silver Washingtons, 1 Seated Half, 3 Barber Halves, 16 Walking Liberty Halves

YouTube Channel: Tony Two-Cent https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCmz...RlHTBIU42bUORg

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Two-Cent View Post
    I wonder if it was done to commemorate Lincoln cents replacing Indian Heads in 1909?
    Tony, I thought the exact same thing when I saw it mentioned it was Lincoln coming out of the coin!
    Best Relics: Bronze Age Arrowheads & Spearhead, 2c Roman silver ring, complete medieval knight's spur (x6)

Thank you everyone for the replies, here is a few more pictures, you can see from the reverse it was an Indian with the outline of the wreath and the bow at the bottom, date is clear 1898.

Based on the design and the fact that 1909 was Lincoln's 100th birthday I would say this fob dates to 1908. My guess is the Lincoln cent was not yet public so they used an IHC.

That's a really cool find!
    Minelab Manticore / SPECTRA V3i, Pro-Pointer II. Lesche Digger.
    Oldest Copper: 1694 William & Mary Halfpenny. Oldest Silver: 1663 1-Reale
    Cob.

My Album

I'm going to go out on a limb and suggest that its not Lincoln but in 1898 we were at war with Spain (Spanish American War) and one of the heroes that emerged early on was
    Winfield Scott Schley. He was a Rear Admiral during the Spanish-American war, hero of the Battle of Santiago de Cuba, 1898. The likeness is not that far off https://www.alamy.com/portrait-of-wi...155808626.html and with the overall patriotic theme of the fob seems to make more sense to me however.

Dan

"Honesty is an expensive gift ,
    so don't expect it from cheap people"

XP Deus II , DFX ,TDI sl -

Click here to view my finds album

Quote Originally Posted by del View Post
    I'm going to go out on a limb and suggest that its not Lincoln but in 1898 we were at war with Spain (Spanish American War) and one of the heroes that emerged early on was Winfield Scott Schley.
    It's certainly a possibility Dan but just look at those ears on the pop out coin. Those are Lincoln ears for sure! I'm also thinking the eagle and and shield look very Union-ish and not very much Naval.

After the mentioning of the Spanish american war I did a quick google search and located this on Pinterest, no information available but they had the picture listed as a 1898 spanish american war Indian princesss now I don’t know who it could be they obv produced different versions of this ?!
    Cheers del think you nailed another one?
    Last edited by Oneil1979; 05-10-2019 at 10:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Oneil1979 View Post
    Cheers del think you nailed another one?
    I agree! Del is the man. It is definitely related to the Spanish American War. Del, I'm buying you some German beer next time we meet!

Wow! Amazing ID, Dan! You nailed it!
    Lifetime totals:
    9 Large Cents, 415 Indian Heads, 2 Two Cent Pieces, 1 Capped Bust Half Dime, 1 Seated Half Dime, 10 Shield Nickels, 68 V Nickels, 124 Buffalo Nickels, 31 War Nickels, 16 Seated Dimes, 131 Barber Dimes, 405 Mercury Dimes, 249 Rosies, 4 Seated Quarters, 18 Barber Quarters, 19 Standing Liberty Quarters, 89 Silver Washingtons, 1 Seated Half, 3 Barber Halves, 16 Walking Liberty Halves

YouTube Channel: Tony Two-Cent https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCmz...RlHTBIU42bUORg