Thread: Road Trip to the Swabian Alps = Great Relics!

Threaded View

Road Trip to the Swabian Alps = Great Relics!

Me and the guys decided to head 3 hours east and do some detecting in the Swabian Alps. So many castles and incredible history. Between the 5 of us we found Celtic, Roman, and some Medieval. The interesting thing about this area is the soil is so neutral that iron barely rusts. Our local guide said he thinks it has something to do with the sandstone soil. Anyway, I got 3 good iron artifacts including a Roman folding knife (for shaving). It is the forerunner of modern straight razors. But by far, my favorite relic is the medieval iron buckle. The blacksmith did a great job on it and even carved decorative lines into it. You can't really see it in the pictures but there is still some tinning visible in spots. The sickle blade has a maker's mark of an arrowhead with the letter I (which would have been pronounced as a J). I wonder if the blacksmith was also the armorer. Thanks for looking and happy digging.<br>
    <br>
    p.s. the landscape pic is a stock photo but that is where I was at.
    Attached Images Attached Images     
    Last edited by Full Metal Digger; 11-18-2019 at 12:53 PM.
    Oldest Coin: 100-60 BC Gallic bronze coin (Sequani Tribe)
    Oldest Silver Coin: 1156 hammered Pfennig from (now) Bavaria
    Oldest U.S. coin: 1805 Draped Bust Large Cent
    Best Coins EVER: 1625 4 Sols from Kingdom of Chateau Renaud, France
    1662 15 Kreuzers, Leopold I, Austria
    Best Relics: Bronze Age Arrowheads & Spearhead, 2c Roman silver ring, complete medieval knight's spur (x6)
    YouTube Channel: Full Metal Digger