Thread: Pequot indian hunt w/ Coinnut

Pequot indian hunt w/ Coinnut

today was the first Saturday hunt the Pequot Indian museum archaeologist put on (before this is was just monday,tuesday and wedsnesday )my 2nd time only going because of work. they are surveying and excavating a 1637 Indian fort that was attacked and burnt by the early English colonists , there are no signs of any evidence of this that shows today and what lays on this land site now is a residential set of older homes (1910 and newer).George has been to this place a few times and has found a musket ball and a brass arrow point from that era and i have found a musket ball the last time i was out there.

well we got there around 9 a.m. ( boy that sure is late for us ) and was greeted by Kevin the head archaeologist with a few pictures , one of George's last point and it was a beauty . Kevin said it still had some type of fiber or material residue still on it (which is amazing after almost 377 years) and the musket ball i had found had hit something with cloth fibers or something similar .
    well with that kind of news psyched us up to finds some more but the area we were hitting today wasn't looking to friendly as it was a front yard of a very newer house so the yard had been pretty disturbed , plus add some noticeable emi from overhead powerlines some moderate mineralization and to top it off sprinkle some iron bits , like nails , some modern metallic trash here and there . with both machines acting a little erratic we swept the yard slowly and made adjustments here and there , i dropped my AC some and then dropped it a little more and also bumped up the sweep speed . it seemed to do a little better and after a few hours and alot of melted lead , an old broken cap gun from the 60's and some broken square cut nails , i had my first impacted smaller calibur musket ball ( i sighed with relief too lol lol ). a good while later George had a brass point ( a little smaller but longer one which almost fooled us both ) from then i found three more musket balls , one being a large (50 calibur or bigger ) very impacted and a 1903 barber dime stretcher:.there was another detectorist with us for the day and he came away with 2 or 3 musket balls so the museum had there best day for artifacts and the head archaeologist was pretty convinced where we were detecting was the inside of the Indian fort. a very nice productive day that was almost 7 hours long so Coinnut and i decided to celebrates by going detecting to a nearby colonial cellar for a couple of hours lol lol where i was rewarded with a 1786 vermont copper ( baby head variety rr-9) rareity = scarce , sorry the picture doesn't do it justice .

Dan

Attached Images Attached Images       
    "Honesty is an expensive gift ,
    so don't expect it from cheap people"

XP Deus II , DFX ,TDI sl -

Click here to view my finds album

Re: Pequot indian hunt w/ Coinnut

nice day out guys! a baby head wow! pretty scarce dude and well deserved! thumbsup01
    2008-14 coppers
    2009-32 coppers
    2010-34 coppers 2-GW buttons
    2011- 80 & 3/4 coppers 1-GW button
    2012- 92 coppers/large cents 1-GW button
    2013- 57 1/4 coppers 6- GW Buttons
    2014- 69 coppers 1-GW button
    2015- 20 1/4 coppers
    2016-44 coppers 1-GW button
    2017-19 & 1/2 coppers
    2018-19 coppers 1-GW
    2019-5 coppers
    click to see my photo album

Wow! Great going, Dan. You guys must have had the museum folks very excited. It's amazing that they were able to identify fiber on the objects after so many years. Those finds are going to make a great display. Nice Barber dime. And congrats on the Vermont Copper! Sweet!

Looks like the museum has the right guys on hand. The Preston-Ledyard area had a ton of Indian and early white settler activity so just about any area of woods can produce some great finds. Down by Foxwoods & the reservation there is Lantern Hill which was an area used during the War of 1812. It is so named because the Americans had bon fires set up on top to warn of the British Navy coming in. There were some bombardments when the Brits came up and they were held at bay and never made it to landfall.
    So all in all it is a very historic area.

Congrats on helping to recover and help write the history for them.

By the way did you get to keep the Barber?
    For every relic that rots away........a piece of history is lost.

wow...thats incredible! And a little Vermont copper for dessert!

Thanks for sharing Dan, what a neat hunt that would be to take part in!
    SeabeeRon on the beach in Santa Cruz,CA.

Hey, baby head hah? That's one ugly big head lol how did they get a baby from that lol But it cleaned up well and a super coin man!! Congrats on a great Vermont and a quick hit copper, since we didn't have much time there. You done good kid lol As for the hunt, I think we will have the conservator working overtime for a while They seemed happy. Now we have to figure out a new strategy for the next visit to get rid of that EMI. A great day for both of us.

Quote Originally Posted by John M View Post
    Looks like the museum has the right guys on hand.

By the way did you get to keep the Barber?
    Thanks John. We have been pretty lucky to find a good amount of targets. Between all of the YTC (club) members, we have collectively found more that they probably hoped for. We're not done yet and I do feel it is helping the relationship between Archaeologists and Detectorists. It is a blast to exchange information between all involved.

As for the Barber, Dan get to keep the photo rofl All finds go either to the Museum of the property owners, which have been kind enough to let them dig there. Some gold jewelry has already been found by some of the other YTC members and the owners were really appreciative to get them back.
    Finding relics is in my blood

GPX 5000, CTX 3030, E Trac, Vista Gold

That is just incredible!!! Wow, congratulations! I can't even imagine what it must have felt like to find those!

Minelab E-Trac/Sun Ray X-1 -- Minelab Sovereign GT/Sun Ray S-1 -- White's v3i/Sun Ray DX-1
    Fisher CZ3D -- Tesoro Tiger Shark -- Garrett ACE 250

Quote Originally Posted by Epi-hunter View Post
    That is just incredible!!! Wow, congratulations! I can't even imagine what it must have felt like to find those!
    Thanks Angie, If Del finds any more Musket Balls, we are gonna call him &quotld Lead Bottom rofl Sorry, us old people might remember McHale's Navy. thumbsup01
    Finding relics is in my blood

GPX 5000, CTX 3030, E Trac, Vista Gold

Quote Originally Posted by coinnut View Post
    As for the Barber, Dan get to keep the photo rofl All finds go either to the Museum of the property owners, which have been kind enough to let them dig there. Some gold jewelry has already been found by some of the other YTC members and the owners were really appreciative to get them back.
    yes the barber went to the land owners John , that part didn't bother me . what bothered me was that the barber didn't even sound like a silver dime in this ground only until i popped out the plug and it was only about 5 inches . that gives you some idea as to the difficulty the the area gave the detectors . another target was an old pocket watch , they usually ring up there really good but this one was a very junky iffy target and again it was around the 5 inch mark.
    "Honesty is an expensive gift ,
    so don't expect it from cheap people"

XP Deus II , DFX ,TDI sl -

Click here to view my finds album

Elite Member

Great involvement!
    2014 Goals: 20 Silver, 5 Large Coppers, 1 Gold Coin (not anticipating being able to detect much this year; NEW BABY HERE!!)
    So Far: (0) Silver; (2) KG, LC 1807; (2) IH; (3) Buff

2013 Total: 36 Silver; 5LC (including 1 FUGIO)
    2012 Total:101 Silver; 11 LC

Wow, great opportunity.

Sounds fun to hunt an area like that... and a big congrats on the copper.

Thanks for posting the info.

Dan, that Vermont copper is high on my list. You found yourself another awesome Colonial copper. Thanks for sharing.

Kirk

It's great to see archaeologists and detectorists working together. There should be more of that!
    Minelab Equinox 600 & Whites Coinmaster, Garrett Propointer, Lesche Digger
    Oldest silver: 1853 Half-dime & 1876S Seated Quarter / Oldest coin: 1849 US Large Cent / 1854 Upper Canada One Penny Bank Token

Quote Originally Posted by milco View Post
    It's great to see archaeologists and detectorists working together. There should be more of that!
    There should. Usually it's an antagonistic relationship. This is a great example of how it should be.
    Minelab E-Trac/Sun Ray X-1 -- Minelab Sovereign GT/Sun Ray S-1 -- White's v3i/Sun Ray DX-1
    Fisher CZ3D -- Tesoro Tiger Shark -- Garrett ACE 250