Thread: Unknown double headed eagle disk

Threaded View

Unknown double headed eagle disk

Well, I found this disk in the backyard of my house.

For context it has a flimsy structure to it and there's visibly a 2 headed eagle on both sides, the disk itself is very flat and it rang up as something copper on my detector. I suspect it has something to do with the fur trade, but I could be wrong.

My house is near some swampy-like forested areas and is about a mile outside of a small town.

Btw I live in the northern part of the U.S for some more context, relatively close to Lake Superior.

The mysterious disk is about the size of 4 modern day U.S quarters put together.

Hopefully that's all you guys need to know, I'm new to these forums. (Just registered today)

Anyone have any ideas?

More info I should give you guys:

Now, the property where I got it from used to be an old dairy farm. This farm was about an acre wide I presume, as I heard stories about how there used to be a dairy farm near the western edge of my property. According to the stories it was around the late 1800s when the farm was in operation. I can confirm there was a farm now because I did check the area myself with a metal detector.

The area itself around me used to be heavily involved with the mining, lumbering, and railroad industry, there were tons of copper mines and abandoned lumbering camps from the mid to late 1800's all over the place. Not to mention the area could have had some fur trading/trapping activity as my home is about 2/3 miles off the coast of Lake Superior.

Not only was there mining, there were also lots of dairy/cattle farmers in the area too. I've came across lots of places that had old antique farming equipment and structures around here. There weren't many crops as the climate around here is generally a lot more rough, so about the only things you could possibly grow were plants like potatoes.

Name:  IMG_0054.jpg
Views: 279
Size:  53.3 KB
    Name:  IMG_0056.jpg
Views: 238
Size:  43.2 KB
    Name:  IMG_0063.jpg
Views: 258
Size:  36.6 KB

Edit:

So far I found out that the eagle is indeed the Russian Romanov coat of arms from an expert. He predicts that this disk could be from the 1800's - early 1900's based on the condition of it, and not to mention this version of the Russian eagle went away around the time of the Russian civil war that happened in the 1910's.

If this were to be a coin it most likely isn't even in the books as I've looked almost everywhere, so my guess is that this was more of a cosmetic for someone or something; I'll give credit to the user Oneil as he opened up this idea for me.
    Last edited by PenguSupreme; 10-29-2020 at 03:47 PM.