Thread: My New Oldest Coin! 100-60 BC!

Threaded View

My New Oldest Coin! 100-60 BC!

Hello Friends,
    Yesterday I went detecting with my buddies up in the Jura Mountains. It's a 2-hour drive from my house. The weather was great. Temps in the upper 30's but sunny and no wind. We were finding a lot of medieval relics and coins (another post once I get everything cleaned up).

I was swinging as I was walking and as I stepped over a fallen tree I swung my coil way to the right. I paused for a second because I thought I heard a tiny beep. I went back and sure enough it was a faint repeatable signal but not strong enough to register any numbers on the display. I ended up digging 8 or 9 inches deep in the rocks to get to the target. This was not normal as I had been digging targets all day at 2 or 3 inches.

I was digging very carefully and scooping the dirt out with my hand when I saw a green disk flash by. At first I thought it was a button but as I wiped the dirt off I could see it was actually a Celtic coin! A little research and discovered it is from the Gaul tribe known as Sequani and dates to between 100 and 60 BC. Here's a clip from Wikipedia: The Sequani were a Gallic tribe, dwelling in the upper river basin of the Arar river (Saône), the valley of the Doubs and the Jura Mountains. Their territory corresponded to Franche-Comté and part of Burgundy.

Here's a pic. The front of the coin is a head facing left (hard to see) and the back is a wolf facing left. The figures are very rudimentary though. I also added a stock photo that shows better details. Thanks for looking and happy digging.
    Attached Images Attached Images    
    Oldest Coin: 100-60 BC Gallic bronze coin (Sequani Tribe)
    Oldest Silver Coin: 1156 hammered Pfennig from (now) Bavaria
    Oldest U.S. coin: 1805 Draped Bust Large Cent
    Best Coins EVER: 1625 4 Sols from Kingdom of Chateau Renaud, France
    1662 15 Kreuzers, Leopold I, Austria
    Best Relics: Bronze Age Arrowheads & Spearhead, 2c Roman silver ring, complete medieval knight's spur (x6)
    YouTube Channel: Full Metal Digger