Thread: Trading post

Hybrid View

I use google earth program (downloaded free) and I also use alot of reference (in my library) pertaining to or tied to near Forts. There's a great book titled: Butterfield Overland Mail, 1857-1869 set. By Roscoe P Conkling and Margaret B Conkling.

Hope this helps, TC-NM
    Nokta Impact - White's XL Pro - White's Spectra V3i - Sunray Pro Gold HP, Whites E-9000 by Koss HP - White's Digger - Garrett Pro-pointer AT

Been Detecting Since '74

Quote Originally Posted by TC-NM View Post
    I use google earth program (downloaded free) and I also use alot of reference (in my library) pertaining to or tied to near Forts. There's a great book titled: Butterfield Overland Mail, 1857-1869 set. By Roscoe P Conkling and Margaret B Conkling.

Hope this helps, TC-NM

Do those documents reference old trading posts near forts?
    Some days you get the corn, some days you get the cob
    ​Oldest coin: ​70 B.C. "Harlow Flyer" gold qtr. Stater
    Oldest U.S. coin: 1814 Capped Bust Dime

Trading posts can mean different things to different people and can refer to different types of places or establishments depending on your locale and/or the time period. I'm not sure where you are at Noah, but in the Midwest and Great Lakes region when people say "trading posts" most people are referring to fur trade era sites. That said, some are documented, but many are typically very undocumented and date from the 1690's to 1820's. Find them requires a lot of research and being a good student of history, and some luck doesn't always hurt.
    Minelab Equinox 600 & Whites Coinmaster, Garrett Propointer, Lesche Digger
    Oldest silver: 1853 Half-dime & 1876S Seated Quarter / Oldest coin: 1849 US Large Cent / 1854 Upper Canada One Penny Bank Token

Quote Originally Posted by Ill Digger View Post
    Do those documents reference old trading posts near forts?
    I live here in AZ, born in NM so I'm familiar to the SW only. You are going to have to do your homework and research in what specific(s) you want. Another great book I use is titled: "New Mexico Frontier Military Place Names" by Daniel C.B. Rathbun & David V. Alexander. In where you live in N. Illinois, I don't know?

Good Luck, TC-NM
    Nokta Impact - White's XL Pro - White's Spectra V3i - Sunray Pro Gold HP, Whites E-9000 by Koss HP - White's Digger - Garrett Pro-pointer AT

Been Detecting Since '74