Thread: A very rare button you won't see just anywhere :

A very rare button you won't see just anywhere :

Here's a political button and it's the best one I've ever found down here in South Carolina.I've been offered quite a bit for it from a collector but just can't part with it, It's just too rare of a find and means a lot to me. It's a button made in France near the end of the revolutionary war (collector says 1780's.) Its got a snake( like the famous don't tread on me ) plus 13 eggs for the 13 original colonies. This type snake button is pretty much regionally only found in the South Carolina coastal Georgia area. I think a couple have come from the Savannah area but I doubt more than 10 -15 of this type have ever been found down in the lowcountry anyway. It makes it a pretty hard to come by button and was probably worn by some high ranking SC official that dealt with the French. I've only viewed a couple here and there but this is the prettiest dug one I've ever seen. Hope you enjoy the pic!

Laszlo
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Re: A very rare button you won't see just anywhere :

Thanks for the pic, that is a really cool find. Hard to tell from the pic, but does it have some gilt on it?
    Minelab E-Trac, Sunray X-1 probe
    White's SM2
    White's SM PI pro

Check out my treasure hunting videos at http://www.youtube.com/user/TheSilverFiend

http://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Si...03270629825473

http://www.thesilverfiend.com

Veteran Member leslie(nova scotia)'s Avatar

From the land of the Bluenose....that again is another find from a forum meber that I have never seen and a gud un youz. I too would not part with it. By the way are you Magyar?
    From the land of the Bluenose.....life is a beach at least till the tide comes in and the Bud is all gone. Swish and dig at the drop of a dime!

Nice button. I've never seen that one. A great find for sure. What's it actually worth??
    Finding relics is in my blood

GPX 5000, CTX 3030, E Trac, Vista Gold

Quote Originally Posted by leslie(nova scotia) View Post
    From the land of the Bluenose....that again is another find from a forum meber that I have never seen and a gud un youz. I too would not part with it. By the way are you Magyar?
    Egan ! My parents escaped with me during the hungarian revolution of 56. We came to the US in 1957. I was only a year old at the time they escaped. I can understand a lot if a hungarian is talking to me and can speak a little. These days there's no one aorund to speak the language anymore so it gets harder and harder to remember a lot of it. So yes I'm originally magyar alright . You must be to have recognized Laszlo My parents thought about going to canada but it was too cold so we ended up in South Carolina and I've grown up and lived down here ever since and I've loved it To the individual that wanted to know how much this button was worth .I haven't shown it around to many collectors just a few and as far as the value, 1500.00 dollars wasn't enough to make me part with it. I'm sure a collector would pay more for it than that if I wanted to sell it. To me that's not life changing money. I'd spend that money so fast and wouldn't have a thing to show for it in the end.

Laszlo

Lazlo, I lived in Charleston for a few years, but I was not detecting at the time. Now that I think about it, there are so many places to hunt. So, I take it that the No Detecting law did not pass? That is one great button.

I lived on Vanderhorst St in the blue house near comings st. It's still blue! and that was back in the mid-80's.

Regards and happy hunting!

Ken
    Minelab E-Trac, stock coil

beautiful button! cool design!
    2008-14 coppers
    2009-32 coppers
    2010-34 coppers 2-GW buttons
    2011- 80 & 3/4 coppers 1-GW button
    2012- 92 coppers/large cents 1-GW button
    2013- 57 1/4 coppers 6- GW Buttons
    2014- 69 coppers 1-GW button