More finds from the "Artillery sites" , these were a group early homesteads not terribly far from an American fort and from all the recent artillery , light artillery type buttons many must of been enlisted there. Five of us made the hike in and even though we were forced to leave a bit early due to weather , we all did pretty well as we have been for the last few weeks . It was still dark when we arrived at the first cellar site and it was still that way when i got an early draped bust half cent !sorry for only the cleaned up pictures of it Name:  Jan4th 1805 HC back.jpg
Views: 232
Size:  124.5 KB Name:  Jan4th 1805 HC front.jpg
Views: 233
Size:  114.3 KB , I wished we found more of these coins . while still working this particular small field i dug some of the bigger iron targets (its a habit of mine to check) I like using the x/y screen on the deus and if i get a certain type of line configuration on an iron target i dig it . Many times this has netted me two tine colonial forks and other oddities , well this time the oddity was this Name:  Jan4th cannon ball dug.jpg
Views: 428
Size:  48.1 KB a three pound cannon ball ! no doubt one of the young artillery men brought home a practice ball or souvenir from the fort !!! these 3 pounders sometimes referred to as "goloopers" were used from the revolutionary war to as late as the civil war but most of the buttons and items are between the late 1700's to about the 1830's . My buddy Ron did his magic on restoring the ball from the before to after.Name:  Jan4th cannon ball before after.jpg
Views: 607
Size:  70.2 KB Also i knabbed a broken end of what is known as "bar shot" , basically its two smaller iron balls connected by a rod between 8 and 12 inches long. It would tumble once out of the fired cannon designed to wreak havoc on ships sails , masts and rigging. with this was about 10 buttons and trinkets . Name:  Jan4th finds.jpg
Views: 401
Size:  44.4 KB

Good way to start out the new year!!

Dan