Thread: More War of 1812 era buttons and Indian trade rings

Threaded View

More War of 1812 era buttons and Indian trade rings

Last week I headed up to my family's cottage to open it up for the season and of course I brought the detector in the hopes I would find more War of 1812 era relics. The first site that I detected, my family has found about 80 buttons there and the first day I found 10 more. The best one is a Artillery 2nd Regiment coat button in crisp condition. I did throw it in some lemon juice for a few minutes. There is definitely more there...just have to move the fallen over trees and go really slow. I can see a dEUS working well here....kinda wish I still had one.

Name:  A2.jpg
Views: 162
Size:  140.4 KB

I also found 4 Eagle on Cannon cuff buttons. But I noticed a new variety that is not in my button book (Alberts). All previous Eagle on Cannon cuff buttons that I have found (which is 16) have 6 cannon balls...but two of these have 8 cannon balls. It is my understanding that the military would commission multiple sources to make buttons so there are probably many varieties.

Name:  Eagle on Cannon cuff.jpg
Views: 155
Size:  132.4 KB

Here are the plain buttons I found and a pipe stem...

Name:  plain buttons.jpg
Views: 160
Size:  130.6 KB

I also found 4 or 5 Indian trade rings. These all came in front of my cottage and my uncle's cottage. I have found a couple here before as well as tinkling cones so I am not too surprised. But what was a blast was that I dug 3 of them in 1 hole! First I dug one in front of my Uncle's and then as I headed back to my cottage I dug 3 more. There is a plain ring I found in the yard next to my cottage that may not be an Indian trade ring....just not sure.

Name:  rings in dirt.jpg
Views: 151
Size:  92.7 KB
    Name:  Trade Rings.jpg
Views: 165
Size:  74.9 KB
    Name:  Tinkling.jpg
Views: 161
Size:  82.5 KB

Here are a couple shot musketballs and a "Navy" button but I am pretty certain that it is a relative new one that is probably just a replica.

Name:  musketballs.jpg
Views: 156
Size:  86.3 KB

Group shot of my relics from last week.

Name:  all.jpg
Views: 152
Size:  116.3 KB

It was a very relaxing and enjoyable week up north. I also made a video of a bunch of these so I might try to put them together and put it on YouTube. But the last time I did that the video was a bit blurry even though on my phone it is perfect?

Thanks for looking! Jared
    Last edited by Bucknut; 05-17-2021 at 06:32 PM.
    Detectors I use: Minelab Equinox 900 & Manticore
    Favorite finds I have made:
    1,000+ silver coins
    92pcs of 1700's Trade Era Silver
    Copper Culture Indian Artifacts
    125+ War of 1812 Era buttons and relics
    My wife
    (probably should have started with that one)