Thread: A bit of silver

Threaded View

A bit of silver

One of my old sites , a School in a neighboring city built in in 1936 is in the process of having a large growth of Ivy plants removed . Over the years I've have found a small bit of silver , wheats ,clad , foreign coins, marbles etc.
    Last Friday they started the tear out which consisted of the surface parts of the Ivy . The tops of the roots were still above ground and there were several
    layers below ground . I had to use a pruning shear to cut thru several layers of buried roots . The digging was miserable and the kneeling on the surface roots was miserable .The first evenings two hour hunt gave me two broken down Hot wheels , two Golf balls and a whole lot of junk . I used my Nox 600 with the stock coil .

The next days two hour hunt I used the 6" and got two memorial Pennies a pitted parking token and more cans and junk .

Yesterday I took a quick scouting drive there and lo and behold they had run a Bobcat thru there and removed the tops of the roots .

I went back later with both coils for a almost three hour hunt .It started out badly . My wireless MPOW headphones which had previously performed well decided they would keep shutting down . Luckily I had brought my stock headphones and they worked well .

I started hunting and was getting nothing but junk .Needless to say I was feeling disappointed .I had been expecting to find something glorious .

Things started looking up when the Memorials started showing up ( I ended up with 18+3/4 of those I then got a clean high tone reaching 30 . This was the Silver Marines Sharpshooting badge . Great , at least I got something cool to show from this trip . I thought . After that the first of my 4 wheats showed up things are getting interesting

Another glorious high tone 30 and to my surprise a brilliant flash of silver
    pops out of the ground , " ah , cool a Quarter " . I nearly soiled my shorts when I saw
    it was a magnificent 1928 SLQ . Finally an age appropriate find for this old school .I was overjoyed !
    Then came the 1943 S War Nickel more sweetness !
    Three clad Quarters made into the pouch also .

Next I came into a very unusual find , a few 25/26 high beeps in one small area . This required some serious digging and the use of my pruning shears to get thru the roots , apparently some young Pirate had buried
    his treasure , 8 Aluminum Presidential Shell tokens which have over the years become pitted and crusty . Although not valuable a fun find for me .I have yet to identify the Presidents . I also haven't had a chance to get the dates off my wheats .

It was a great night and I'm hoping as I am printing this that the gardener is driving that Bobcat at least one more time , " I shall return" .

Thanks for looking and Happy Hunting !
    Attached Images Attached Images     
    Last edited by Cheap Thrills; 07-20-2021 at 02:02 PM.