Results 1 to 17 of 17

Thread: Greetings from Northeast IL

  1. #1

    Greetings from Northeast IL

    Hello from Northeastern IL. I'm not completely new to the hobby, since as a kid in the 70's I had a friend a few doors down who's father was a serious detectorist and he taught us how to use a Bounty Hunter Red Baron that he had in his collection of detectors, and we had free use of it whenever we wanted. I was bit by the hobby then, and had a few good finds as a 12/13 year old kid, including a 1917 class ring that I discovered in a parkway strip.

    My friend moved away and life went on and, even though I never picked a detector back up, the fascination with the hobby was always in my mind. I've had the time and resources to dive into the hobby for a while, but just last week made the commitment and bought a detector to be ready for the spring thaw. This forum is already proving to be a valuable educational source, and I'm enjoying soaking up the collective knowledge on the site.

    Best regards,

    Jeff

  2. #2
    Welcome to our wonderful group and back to the hobby of treasure hunting! It's good to have another "Illinois Boy" on the team. I'm guessing you are in the Chicago area (?). Like you, I also started detecting back in 1977 when I was 16. I took a big break during my military career and then started up again when I retired. Which metal detector did you end up buying? Lots of good advice in this group so don't be shy with your questions! Best wishes and happy digging when the spring comes. Dave.
    Oldest Coin: 100-60 BC Gallic Coin (Sequani Tribe)
    Oldest Silver Coin: 1156 Pfennig from Bavaria, Germany
    Oldest U.S. coin: 1805 Draped Bust Large Cent
    Best Coin EVER: 1625 4 Sols from Chateau Renaud, France
    Best Relics: Bronze Age Arrowheads & Spearhead, 2c Roman silver ring
    YouTube Channel: Full Metal Digger

  3. #3
    Quote Originally Posted by Full Metal Digger View Post
    Welcome to our wonderful group and back to the hobby of treasure hunting! It's good to have another "Illinois Boy" on the team. I'm guessing you are in the Chicago area (?). Like you, I also started detecting back in 1977 when I was 16. I took a big break during my military career and then started up again when I retired. Which metal detector did you end up buying? Lots of good advice in this group so don't be shy with your questions! Best wishes and happy digging when the spring comes. Dave.
    Thanks for the welcome, Dave.

    Yes, I'm about 35 miles due west from Chicago. I was kind of avoiding the detector I bought in my initial introduction out of a bit of embarrassment being new back into the pursuit, but I went all in with a Mine Lab CTX 3030 along with a 17" coil. It's more than I need to start back up (and I know there's going to be a steep learning curve) but I would be kidding myself if I said I wouldn't be desiring to upgrade soon, and I've been through the regret of not buying what I know I'll grow into before.

    Thanks again for the warm welcome. I look forward to learning from all of you, and being able to contribute as I grow.

  4. #4
    We’re glad you joined us, Jeff! Best of luck with your CTX 3030. That machine should find some worthy targets for you. Keep us posted on your progress with it.

    Come on Spring!
    Lifetime totals:
    9 Large Cents, 410 Indian Heads, 2 Two Cent Pieces, 1 Capped Bust Half Dime, 1 Seated Half Dime, 10 Shield Nickels, 67 V Nickels, 123 Buffalo Nickels, 31 War Nickels, 16 Seated Dimes, 130 Barber Dimes, 397 Mercury Dimes, 243 Rosies, 4 Seated Quarters, 17 Barber Quarters, 18 Standing Liberty Quarters, 88 Silver Washingtons, 1 Seated Half, 3 Barber Halves, 16 Walking Liberty Halves

    YouTube Channel: Tony Two-Cent https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCmz...RlHTBIU42bUORg

  5. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by Tony Two-Cent View Post
    We’re glad you joined us, Jeff! Best of luck with your CTX 3030. That machine should find some worthy targets for you. Keep us posted on your progress with it.

    Come on Spring!
    Thank you, Tony!

  6. #6
    Administrator del's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Connecticut
    Posts
    12,900
    Great intro and welcome to the forum Jeff , I have a friend who uses the ctx and the big 17" coil (i call it the snow shoe) and he does well with it in the wide open farm fields but struggles with it in the trashier areas due to it covering so much real estate and having so many targets underfoot at one time. Really looking toward your hearing about your exploits this spring , sir .

    Dan
    XP Deus Ws5 , DFX ,TDI sl -

    Click here to view my finds album

  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by del View Post
    Great intro and welcome to the forum Jeff , I have a friend who uses the ctx and the big 17" coil (i call it the snow shoe) and he does well with it in the wide open farm fields but struggles with it in the trashier areas due to it covering so much real estate and having so many targets underfoot at one time. Really looking toward your hearing about your exploits this spring , sir .

    Dan
    Thanks, Dan!

    My back yard connects to a large grassy school field, which flows right into a huge stretch of grassy local park land that has never been developed (in modern times) and has no fill that I'm aware of. That's going to be the first area I hit to learn on, which is why I added the 17" coil, as there is acres of open ground to cover. I don't think it should be very trashy, and I've been here many years and have never seen anyone detecting on it, so I hope it will provide me some targets if only modern coin and maybe a piece of jewelry.

  8. #8
    Welcome, Jeff! You must be in shape! I'd guess the 3030 with the 17 coil would be 8 lbs! Looks like you have some acreage to put it through its paces. So glad you joined our merry band
    On Instagram- oxshoedrew

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by OxShoeDrew View Post
    Welcome, Jeff! You must be in shape! I'd guess the 3030 with the 17 coil would be 8 lbs! Looks like you have some acreage to put it through its paces. So glad you joined our merry band
    I like to think I am, but I guess this will put me to the test!

    Thanks for the welcome!

  10. #10
    Elite Member Digger Don's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Northern Illinois
    Posts
    3,753
    Welcome to the forum. You must be a neighbor, i'm about 35 miles SW of chicago.
    Happy to have you aboard!
    Oldest Coin: 1699 William III Halfpenny
    SILVER COINS
    Life Time 907

    20
    22
    Silver 36
    Lg Cent 4, Indian 18, seated half Dime 1,War nik 1, V nik 2, Buff 2, Rosie 9, Merc 12, Barber Dime 5, Seated dime 1, Barb Qtr 2, Wash Qtr 4,

    Walker 1,Silver ring 2,
    YT Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCoU...FVGumMQ/videos

  11. #11
    Quote Originally Posted by Digger Don View Post
    Welcome to the forum. You must be a neighbor, i'm about 35 miles SW of chicago.
    Happy to have you aboard!
    Thanks, Don! I'm in the Aurora/Naperville area, so we can't be far from each other.

  12. #12
    Elite Member Digger Don's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Northern Illinois
    Posts
    3,753
    Quote Originally Posted by JHANSON View Post
    Thanks, Don! I'm in the Aurora/Naperville area, so we can't be far from each other.
    Plainfield
    Oldest Coin: 1699 William III Halfpenny
    SILVER COINS
    Life Time 907

    20
    22
    Silver 36
    Lg Cent 4, Indian 18, seated half Dime 1,War nik 1, V nik 2, Buff 2, Rosie 9, Merc 12, Barber Dime 5, Seated dime 1, Barb Qtr 2, Wash Qtr 4,

    Walker 1,Silver ring 2,
    YT Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCoU...FVGumMQ/videos

  13. #13
    Quote Originally Posted by Digger Don View Post
    Plainfield
    Oh yeah, we are close neighbors! Plainfield is a great town, I was just there a few days ago picking up some brisket from Piggy's BBQ.

  14. #14
    Elite Member Digger_O'Dell's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Location
    near Milwaukee Wi.
    Posts
    3,753
    Welcome to the forum Jeff! You are in good company in our region. I'm a bit north of you in the milwaukee area, but do get down your way from time to time if I find a good site to detect. Great choice with the CTX-3030! That's also my machine of choice with 3 coils, and have countless hours on it on land and in the water. The complexity of the machine may seem daunting when you start, but having experience on other machines makes a big difference, and before long you will be tweaking the settings (or sometimes more importantly leaving them alone) like a pro. Next you'll be looking for a sand scoop, pinpointer, silver/gold test kit and diamond tester, etc....lol
    I started with the Minelab 705, but within 3 months and a couple different coils I was already well beyond it's capabilities and lucked into a very lightly used 3030 at a steep discount, and the same with 2 "used" coils still in their bags. I've also grown into adding other machines such as a Whites TDI and Minelab GPX 4800. So it just shows how deep that detecting bug can bite! Looking forward to seeing some of your finds once the ground thaws-happy hunting!
    Equipment:
    Minelab: CTX 3030, GPX 4800, X-Terra 705. Whites TDI SL.

    2017 -Silver 28 Bling 18 Gold 2
    2018 Silver 8 Bling 1 Gold 1
    2019 Silver 7 Silver bling 2
    2020/21 Nothing worth mentioning

    Best finds: 28 silver dime spill, 1800s Dutch customs seal.
    Oldest/best coin: 1837 Upper Canada large cent
    Oldest find: 1800 Sailors Luck token
    You Tube: Rediscovering America

  15. #15
    Quote Originally Posted by Digger_O'Dell View Post
    Welcome to the forum Jeff! You are in good company in our region. I'm a bit north of you in the milwaukee area, but do get down your way from time to time if I find a good site to detect. Great choice with the CTX-3030! That's also my machine of choice with 3 coils, and have countless hours on it on land and in the water. The complexity of the machine may seem daunting when you start, but having experience on other machines makes a big difference, and before long you will be tweaking the settings (or sometimes more importantly leaving them alone) like a pro. Next you'll be looking for a sand scoop, pinpointer, silver/gold test kit and diamond tester, etc....lol
    I started with the Minelab 705, but within 3 months and a couple different coils I was already well beyond it's capabilities and lucked into a very lightly used 3030 at a steep discount, and the same with 2 "used" coils still in their bags. I've also grown into adding other machines such as a Whites TDI and Minelab GPX 4800. So it just shows how deep that detecting bug can bite! Looking forward to seeing some of your finds once the ground thaws-happy hunting!
    Thanks for the welcome and the positive vibes!

  16. #16
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Location
    SE Wisconsin
    Posts
    549
    Welcome Jeff! Great group of people here that I never had to search for another forum. Is there one??? Anyway, I bought an AT Pro when I picked up the hobby again about 9 years ago (also did as a kid in the 80 and 1 year in the 70s). I like the AT Pro, but the CTX3030 was an investment that I was glad I made. I have had my best finds with the 17" coil in parks/trashy areas which seems counterintuitive, but once you figure it out in terms of the noise it makes which will take you a good 2 years of digging, you will get darn good with it. I would start with the standard coil though and get use to that. Listen to the machine and don't look at the numbers. I made a point of not looking at the screen (did all the time with AT Pro). Dig it all to start (except for the iron). In a nutshell figure out what is best for you, buy Andy Sabisch book for the CTX. The book will help you understand the equipment to a whole new level.

    I am from Milwaukee area and even though you probably like the Bears/Cubs, I will be happy to help with any questions you might have.
    Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Waterproof Pinpointer, CTX3030 with 6,11,17" coils.

  17. #17
    Quote Originally Posted by badgers325 View Post
    Welcome Jeff! Great group of people here that I never had to search for another forum. Is there one??? Anyway, I bought an AT Pro when I picked up the hobby again about 9 years ago (also did as a kid in the 80 and 1 year in the 70s). I like the AT Pro, but the CTX3030 was an investment that I was glad I made. I have had my best finds with the 17" coil in parks/trashy areas which seems counterintuitive, but once you figure it out in terms of the noise it makes which will take you a good 2 years of digging, you will get darn good with it. I would start with the standard coil though and get use to that. Listen to the machine and don't look at the numbers. I made a point of not looking at the screen (did all the time with AT Pro). Dig it all to start (except for the iron). In a nutshell figure out what is best for you, buy Andy Sabisch book for the CTX. The book will help you understand the equipment to a whole new level.

    I am from Milwaukee area and even though you probably like the Bears/Cubs, I will be happy to help with any questions you might have.
    Thanks for the welcome, and good advice. I've got the Andy Sabisch book on the way!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •