Thread: Nickel Trifecta and some silvers at the beach!

Threaded View

Nickel Trifecta and some silvers at the beach!

Last evening I decided to go to a beach that is always busy in an old town. With the storms that day in the area I was hoping they would scare people away so I could detect in peace. I have detected it before but never found much...maybe a few wheats in the grass areas. When I got there I saw a few swimmers so I kept to one end of the beach. This turned out to be great becuase I was able to finally figure out the place. Most of the beach is very shallow water with a sand bar going way out. I thought that this sand bar was how the entire beach was. But the area I was hunting in was a little deeper and had a rocky bottom with clay 4-10 inches below the rocks. There were targets all over the place and after 20 minutes I found a silver Rosie and was thrilled. Then a couple targets later a 1944 Mercury dime showed up. After about 3 hours I found 2 more silver rosies, a 1943 War Nik, a 1936 Buff and 2 V niks! The V nickels were are complete shock to me. One of the V's is so worn that it rang up a 9 on my Equinox. Also found a decent pile of clad with 7 wheats and a few nickels from the 1940's.
    Name:  trifecta.jpg
Views: 209
Size:  38.1 KB
    Name:  beach dimage.jpg
Views: 217
Size:  119.2 KB
    Name:  beach clad.jpg
Views: 187
Size:  45.3 KB

So I am very optimistic that I will have many years of enjoying this place. I have figured out (and I will certanly need to figure more out with this site) that I need to focus in the areas where the bottom is rocky. I did not find any jewelry but if I'm finding all that clad and old coins it seems reasonable to me that there is gold there. I imagine that the sand bar will shift over time and cover up some areas and perhaps uncover some areas too.

I know that this place is/has been detected. I have seen evidence of it but I'm cautiously optimistic that I might have a highly productive spot and it is apparent no one is hammering it.

It's been awhile since I pulled 5 silvers.

Thanks for looking! Jared
    Last edited by Bucknut; 08-05-2022 at 12:53 PM.
    Detectors I use: Minelab Equinox 900 & Manticore
    Favorite finds I have made:
    1,000+ silver coins
    92pcs of 1700's Trade Era Silver
    Copper Culture Indian Artifacts
    125+ War of 1812 Era buttons and relics
    My wife
    (probably should have started with that one)