Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Time For A New Detector

Time For A New Detector

It would appear my trusty V3I that I bought on 2/5/2011 is no more. Not sure what happened as I was at home today and putting in a new toggle switch as the old one was busted. When I put the battery in & hit the power button, nothing came on. Tried a different battery and still no luck.

Franks been swinging the Deus 1 for some time now with great results and I'm going to buy a Deus 1 as well with the WS5 headphones and 11" coil, this way the learning curve will be easier with him to give me some pointers.

I'm thinking about sending the V3I in to be fixed to have as a backup but gotta see what the cost will be. I love the V3I but man I have to say it's getting tougher to swing it after several hrs and man is the Deus so light.

Gonna give Rich at Colonial Metal Detectors a call tomorrow as Frank & I are supposed to go out this Sat. Seeing we're both in CT I'll have it next day.

Was looking at the Deus 2 but those WS6 headphones look awful uncomfortable.
    Last edited by The Rebel; 06-25-2023 at 07:44 PM.
    Minelab Manticore / SPECTRA V3i, Pro-Pointer II. Lesche Digger.
    Oldest Copper: 1694 William & Mary Halfpenny. Oldest Silver: 1663 1-Reale
    Cob.

My Album

Oldest Coin: 100-60 BC Gallic bronze coin (Sequani Tribe)
    Oldest Silver Coin: 1156 hammered Pfennig from (now) Bavaria
    Oldest U.S. coin: 1805 Draped Bust Large Cent
    Best Coins EVER: 1625 4 Sols from Kingdom of Chateau Renaud, France
    1662 15 Kreuzers, Leopold I, Austria
    Best Relics: Bronze Age Arrowheads & Spearhead, 2c Roman silver ring, complete medieval knight's spur (x6)
    YouTube Channel: Full Metal Digger

Thanks. I've decided to send my unit in to be fixed. I felt too rushed to buy a new detector. I have to do some more research before I pull the trigger.

I've been spoiled with the color screen and really not impressed with the black screens. Also I felt the deus screen is small and hard to read but will see franks. He has an old dfx I'll borrow.
    Cob.

My Album

I came from using a DFX (for about 15 years or more ) and I was sure I was pretty good with that machine until I started using a deus , the whites machines miss a lot in the iron and they miss the small non ferrous at 5 inches and more . I find so many more tiny buttons especially the cuff sized tombacs at deeper depths than i did with the DFX . Ask Frank if this is true with him ?

Dan
    "Honesty is an expensive gift ,
    so don't expect it from cheap people"

XP Deus II , DFX ,TDI sl -

Click here to view my finds album

Rebel, like Dan I went from the DFX to the Deus and had the same results. If you ever do consider a Deus 1 or 2, you won't take full advantage of all it's technology unless you are willing to use it as a tone machine. If you prefer visual cues, then the XP line probably isn't for you. But if you are interested in the Deus 2, I actually like the WS6 headphones. Lightweight, cool and let's in background noise.
    Oldest find: 5,000 year old copper spearhead
    Oldest coin: 1699 William III halfpenny
    Purdiest coin: 1832 Capped Bust quarter
    Coolest find: USA button with blue threads still on shank

"He who would search for pearls must dive below."

Thanks guys.

Dan I know Frank has found very small button s when we've been out.

Lodge Scent. I do hunt by tones. I have my v3i set to silent mode. I only hear sound when my coil passes over something good. Then I look at the screen.
    Last edited by The Rebel; 06-27-2023 at 06:03 AM.
    Cob.

My Album

To all the experts out there I'm looking to see what detectors you're using out in the field hunting cellar holes.

I'd like to get similar features that the V3I has.
    1. Color Screen
    2. Easy To See Screen
    3. Wireless Headphones
    4. Hunt In Multi Freq's Simultaneously
    5. Has Multi-Tones
    Cob.

My Album

I don't know Rebel. You might have to cross a V3I with a Manticore to hit all those points.
    Oldest find: 5,000 year old copper spearhead
    Oldest coin: 1699 William III halfpenny
    Purdiest coin: 1832 Capped Bust quarter
    Coolest find: USA button with blue threads still on shank

"He who would search for pearls must dive below."

That sounds like a great detector, Roger! I would love to be able to see the screen on my D2, I can only imagine all the useful info there.
    On Instagram- oxshoedrew

I do have to say that I do like the screen on the Minelabs. The coil wire though looks like it might be problematic in the woods.

Haven't compared the weight difference between the Deus and the Minelabs.
    Cob.

My Album

Frank uses the white coil which I think is the high freq. Is one coil better suited for cellar holes than another?

Also what are the differences between the Deus 1 & 2?
    Cob.

My Album

The deus 2 is a multi frequency machine and would most likely run more stable on the wet black sands of the beach it may even be a bit deeper there as well. . the white coils are the high frequency coils and I believe the eliptical one is the best around the most iron infested areas due to its slender configuration or smaller footprint.
    "Honesty is an expensive gift ,
    so don't expect it from cheap people"

XP Deus II , DFX ,TDI sl -

Click here to view my finds album

This gets into the old discussion of coil frequency vs conductivity of the targets. High frequency will detect smaller objects and low conductivity metals such as gold, lead, tungsten, or nickels (and iron!). Lower frequencies will are far better for the high conductors like silver or aluminum. Also, the higher the frequency comes at the cost of less depth.

A more complete outline is written up on Friendly Detecting forums here: https://metaldetectingforum.com/inde...lained.283119/

Honestly, I would love to build my own detector from some of the project control boards found online. They offer a hybrid detecting system that uses both multi-frequency and pulse induction in tandem to give the best of both worlds, using a combination of both signals to better identify and separate signals and far greater depths. The biggest drawback is that everything else is a "roll your own" system where you have to supply your own control box, shaft, handle, and even make your own custom coil which then has to be tuned to the board using a scope for best results. That could be quite an interesting project!
    Last edited by Digger_O'Dell; 06-28-2023 at 02:06 PM.
    Equipment:
    Minelab: CTX 3030, GPX 4800, X-Terra 705. Whites TDI SL.

2024: Silver 1, Gold 0
    Best finds: 28 silver dime spill, 1800s Dutch customs seal.
    Oldest/best coins: Late 1700's Chinese Cash Coin, 1837 Upper Canada large cent, 1877 Seated Dime
    Oldest Relic find: 1800 Sailors Luck token
    You Tube: Rediscovering America
    Quote: Treasures are like potato chips, you can never have just one!

This is great. I've seen a alot of talk about the manticore. Has anyone used this at cellar holes?
    Cob.

My Album

Any field reports on the manticore at cellar holes?
    Cob.

My Album

DEUS II for iron hunting..I have used the Manticore, Equinox 900, Legend etc...
    Best finds GW Button and John Adams Cufflink.
    Trust in the Lord...

Rebel - I use the CTX3030 and it has everything you are looking for, but the weight of it in the woods would be tough. Cord goes inside the shaft. I take mine in the woods a lot. My buddy got the Deus 2 about 3 months ago and we have been detecting near each other and have been comparing signals. I.E. - Would you dig this and what do you think it is questions to each other. 85% of the time we are thinking identically. 10% of the time, I say junk and he thinks it is an ok signal and it is junk. 5% I say junk and he digs up an old coin (but he also had doubts). As we all know, we are not always right on the iffy ones. He likes the headphones (hear background noise like mentioned above) and he says they are comfortable. Even with my CTX, I am likely going to pull the trigger on a Deus 2 in the next year or two. The only thing that would keep me from going that direction is if Minelab has a CTX3030 2 come out that is a lighter weight. He didn't like having to charge the coil and the unit at first. Just a matter of getting accustomed to having to charge both. The other thing I would mention is that he can swing faster than me and pick up the same information. Deus 2 seems to be a pretty darn good machine in iron.
    Last edited by badgers325; 08-14-2023 at 11:27 AM.
    Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Waterproof Pinpointer, CTX3030 with 6,11,17" coils.

Thanks for the feedback. As of right now I'm on hold as my V came back from the shop & is working just fine.

I do have to say that the weight of it even with the 6x10 coil is getting to me in my shoulders & neck, but I do swing for at least 8 hrs.
    Cob.

My Album

After much time and research I'll be going with the manticore once the m8 coil has been out in the field for a while. Looking to see results on that coil.

Yeah I think I will get that cool too. It’s been almost 10 months since Minelab started shipping the Manticore so hopefully I can get a new coil soon.

I think I might be the only one on AD with a Manticore right now. I like it and the Nox900. I have only one spot that would be considered a cellar hole and I have hammered that place over the last 5 years and the Manticore sniffed out a couple War of 1812 buttons there earlier this summer.
    Detectors I use: Minelab Equinox 900 & Manticore
    Favorite finds I have made:
    1,000+ silver coins
    92pcs of 1700's Trade Era Silver
    Copper Culture Indian Artifacts
    125+ War of 1812 Era buttons and relics
    My wife
    (probably should have started with that one)