Thread: Mint luster

Threaded View

Mint luster

Got out with Digger Don and his son Alex to do some 1920s homes since all the older ones in town we figured had been hunted out. Well we did a couple, and then drove past a corner house (usually already done) that Don said he'd had permission to do in the past but never actually got her done. So I asked the owner for permission again and he said sure. Well so glad we did! I think it was an 1880s house, but nothing notable about it. I crossed diagonally across it, and got to the first signal which was a scratchy penny signal, with a slight high tone about it. Really wasn't expecting anything good. I always dig small holes not wanting to leave a mess, but when I got down about 8 inches I gave up the shovel because it was hard to maneuver in the hole. Now just digging with my fingers and after the machine numbers changing from a 12-43 to now a 12-46 I started to get excited! Thought possibly a silver quarter. Well after feeling the rim of a coin and popping it out comes a silver half!! I yelled Barber half!! Proceeding to a puddle from the night's rain I said it's not a Barber but actually it's a seated half!! Finally got my bucket lister. It's a common date, 1877 but amazingly with mint luster. Holy cow! I had a great day out with the guys. I dug the seated half along with a walking liberty half, a Washington quarter, Mercury dime, Roosevelt dime, Buffalo nickel,
    war nickel, and an 1887 Indian head penny. 15 wheat pennies came along for the ride too.
    Last edited by Noah; 07-02-2023 at 04:55 PM.