Thread: Sat 7/1 Hunt

Sat 7/1 Hunt

Got out with Frank on Sat. As my V3i is in the shop he was gracious to let me swing some of his machines.

Started off with the Deus and found the shoe buckle piece as well as the small acorn shaped pc. Not sure what it was but has some type of bumps on it.

After a while I switched over to the old DFX and found the 2 small buttons and the clock key.

Last swing of the day was using his NOX 800, found the large cloak button.

I liked the Deus but the NOX was more to my liking as the screen was much easier to read. Depending on what the shop says I may end up with a new detector. Leaning more towards the Manticore but would like to hear more field reports from owners who swing at cellar holes.

Name:  thumbnail.jpg
Views: 104
Size:  65.0 KBName:  thumbnail-1.jpg
Views: 98
Size:  74.1 KB
    Minelab Manticore / SPECTRA V3i, Pro-Pointer II. Lesche Digger.
    Oldest Copper: 1694 William & Mary Halfpenny. Oldest Silver: 1663 1-Reale
    Cob.

My Album

Nice variety of find with a variety of detectors.

I own a Nox 900 and a Manticore and I enjoy them both. Each is light weight and fast. I have used them both at my War of 1812 site (which is a cellar hole site) and I found buttons/relics with each detector. The advantage of the Manticore is that it is deeper than the Nox900 and it has the 2D mappinig screen to help give you some further insight if what you are swinging over is ferrous or non ferrous or if there are multiple targets under your coil. Minelab still has not released other coils yet for the Manticore (or perhaps just started to) and they are apparently very expensive but the NOX coils are reasonable. The Nox900 comes with a stock and a 6" coil for $1100. A small sniper type coil I would think would be essential for you cellar hole hunters as you try to find non ferrous targets amongst the nails.

I thought you mentioned that you are hoping for a display that is in color. The Manticore does have red for some of its target ID's with its new software update. I have not downloaded the update yet though. The Nox 900 does have a feature that makes the background a red hue...I kinda like it. I find that both screens are easy to look at and both have adjustability of brightness.

I do not have a deus 2 but everyone seems to love it.

I am not sure you could go wrong with any of those detectors. Just a matter of learning a new machine from a new company and that usually takes time and patience.
    Detectors I use: Minelab Equinox 900 & Manticore
    Favorite finds I have made:
    1,000+ silver coins
    92pcs of 1700's Trade Era Silver
    Copper Culture Indian Artifacts
    125+ War of 1812 Era buttons and relics
    My wife
    (probably should have started with that one)

Congrats on the finds Roger , and good luck with whatever machine you decide to get .

Dan
    "Honesty is an expensive gift ,
    so don't expect it from cheap people"

XP Deus II , DFX ,TDI sl -

Click here to view my finds album

Thanks Guys. I do like the Manticore the most but in the end will probably hold off unless the V is dead, you can only swing 1 at a time anyhow.
    Minelab Manticore / SPECTRA V3i, Pro-Pointer II. Lesche Digger.
    Oldest Copper: 1694 William & Mary Halfpenny. Oldest Silver: 1663 1-Reale
    Cob.

My Album

Elite Member
    Congrats on the recoveries. Good Luck with tour new choice on machines. WD
    Total silver 3 - Goal 50 (2024 Finds) - 0 Washington - 0 Barber Dimes - 0 Mercury Dimes- - 3 Roosevelt Dimes - 0 V Nickels - 0 Buffalos - 0 War Nickels - 0 Indian - 10 Wheats - $ 3.44 in clad
    Relics: MILESTONES since 2012: 1700 silver coins - 8000 Clad Quarters - 500 Roosevelts - 750 Mercury Dimes

Very nice variety of finds. I'm also glad to hear a little feedback from all 3 machines used at he same site. Places I detect, the machine often needs to be able to hit a dime at 12" while looking between a lot of trash (pull tabs, nails, foil, etc) where the multiple target capability and fastest possible recovery while not falsing can make all the difference. I'm still waiting for an in depth comparison between the Manticore and CTX.
    Equipment:
    Minelab: CTX 3030, GPX 4800, X-Terra 705. Whites TDI SL.

2024: Silver 1, Gold 0
    Best finds: 28 silver dime spill, 1800s Dutch customs seal.
    Oldest/best coins: Late 1700's Chinese Cash Coin, 1837 Upper Canada large cent, 1877 Seated Dime
    Oldest Relic find: 1800 Sailors Luck token
    You Tube: Rediscovering America
    Quote: Treasures are like potato chips, you can never have just one!