Thread: I can get used to this!

I can get used to this!

I found more gold at Buffalo Beach last night. It was a perfect evening...not many people and the water got glass smooth.

Name:  18K.jpg
Views: 118
Size:  44.8 KB

It is a woman's 18K wedding band. There is a portion of an initial inside but I can't make it out.

Name:  nikssss.jpg
Views: 115
Size:  131.3 KB

One of the War Niks and one of the Buffs I found at a near park before work last week. Everything else was at the beach.

Thanks for looking!
    Jared
    Last edited by Bucknut; 07-18-2023 at 12:05 PM.
    Detectors I use: Minelab Equinox 900 & Manticore
    Favorite finds I have made:
    1,000+ silver coins
    92pcs of 1700's Trade Era Silver
    Copper Culture Indian Artifacts
    125+ War of 1812 Era buttons and relics
    My wife
    (probably should have started with that one)

Certainly killing it on those low conductors! I don't know how you do it, as those low conductors in my experience are difficult to pick out of any trash or iron regardless of machine (Other than my Minelab X-Terra using the small high frequency coil-now that was a nickel magnet!)
    Equipment:
    Minelab: CTX 3030, GPX 4800, X-Terra 705. Whites TDI SL.

2024: Silver 1, Gold 0
    Best finds: 28 silver dime spill, 1800s Dutch customs seal.
    Oldest/best coins: Late 1700's Chinese Cash Coin, 1837 Upper Canada large cent, 1877 Seated Dime
    Oldest Relic find: 1800 Sailors Luck token
    You Tube: Rediscovering America
    Quote: Treasures are like potato chips, you can never have just one!

Quote Originally Posted by Digger_O'Dell View Post
    Certainly killing it on those low conductors! I don't know how you do it, as those low conductors in my experience are difficult to pick out of any trash or iron regardless of machine (Other than my Minelab X-Terra using the small high frequency coil-now that was a nickel magnet!)
    The Nox900 hits the low conductors really well (so did the 800 and so does the Manticore). I absolutely LOVE the sound of the low nickel type signals at this site! It seems 50% of those tones come up as something desirable. There is iron at this beach too which will give you falsing but after you chase a few nails you quickly learn when your machine is falsing and when there is a legit high tone. The stock coil on the Nox900 has done well sniffing out the low tones. I have used the Manticore here but the Nox900 has been so good that I keep going back to it in the water. Minelab came out with a software update for the Manticore to reduce falsing which I have not downloaded yet...I should download it tonight and use the low conductor program and see what turns up.
    Last edited by Bucknut; 07-18-2023 at 05:48 PM.
    1,000+ silver coins
    My wife

Nice finds Jared! Congrats on another awesome gold ring! What happened to those 2 buffalo nickels? Did you rub them? LOL!
    Oldest Coin: 100-60 BC Gallic bronze coin (Sequani Tribe)
    Oldest Silver Coin: 1156 hammered Pfennig from (now) Bavaria
    Oldest U.S. coin: 1805 Draped Bust Large Cent
    Best Coins EVER: 1625 4 Sols from Kingdom of Chateau Renaud, France
    1662 15 Kreuzers, Leopold I, Austria
    Best Relics: Bronze Age Arrowheads & Spearhead, 2c Roman silver ring, complete medieval knight's spur (x6)
    YouTube Channel: Full Metal Digger

Quote Originally Posted by Full Metal Digger View Post
    Nice finds Jared! Congrats on another awesome gold ring! What happened to those 2 buffalo nickels? Did you rub them? LOL!
    Yeah the coins that are not in the clay get toasted from the water and waves rolling them around for 60-100 years. But that V was kept really pristine. It is a 1912 D.
    1,000+ silver coins
    My wife

Congrats Jared! Love finding nickels. On pounded sites, that is all I go for.

Digger O'Dell - I know you have a CTX, what I did this year was slot a high signal sound for 12-10,12-11, 12-12. You will get a lot more nickels that way. It is one of those I am going for coins only when you can really hammer them. Of course the beaver tail only signals come in the same way.
    Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Waterproof Pinpointer, CTX3030 with 6,11,17" coils.

Quote Originally Posted by badgers325 View Post
    Digger O'Dell - I know you have a CTX, what I did this year was slot a high signal sound for 12-10,12-11, 12-12. You will get a lot more nickels that way. It is one of those I am going for coins only when you can really hammer them. Of course the beaver tail only signals come in the same way.
    That's a nice idea and may work in many cases. One could expand on it quite a bit more for those 12-15 through 12-19 to pick up those war niks and many 10-14k rings too. But again, this is also deep into pulltab territory.

One thing I have been doing lately that seems to help a lot when over a lot of iron or pulltabs is to ground balance with a middle iron or pulltab signal under the coil and it significantly reduces that signal within a couple points.
    Equipment:

Oldest/best coins: Late 1700's Chinese Cash Coin, 1837 Upper Canada large cent, 1877 Seated Dime

Quote Originally Posted by Digger_O'Dell View Post
    That's a nice idea and may work in many cases. One could expand on it quite a bit more for those 12-15 through 12-19 to pick up those war niks and many 10-14k rings too. But again, this is also deep into pulltab territory.
    I hear lots of people say (mainly on youtube) that war nickel's ring up higher than normal nickels. I find lots of them, almost 150 in the last 11 years, and 98% of them ring up like a normal nickel. eTrac was 12-12, 12-13, 12-14: Equinox 800 is 12 or 13 and the Manticore/Nox 900 is 24-28. I have found a few that rang up higher but for me the vast majority of war nickels that I find ring up in the normal range. So what TID do you guys find war nickels hitting?
    Last edited by Bucknut; 07-20-2023 at 07:13 PM.
    1,000+ silver coins
    My wife

Quote Originally Posted by Bucknut View Post
    I hear lots of people say (mainly on youtube) that war nickel's ring up higher than normal nickels. I find lots of them, almost 150 in the last 11 years, and 98% of them ring up like a normal nickel. eTrac was 12-12, 12-13, 12-14: Equinox 800 is 12 or 13 and the Manticore/Nox 900 is 24-28. I have found a few that rang up higher but for me the vast majority of war nickels that I find ring up in the normal range. So what TID do you guys find war nickels hitting?
    I just air-tested several war nickels on my E-Trac. All of them rang up as 12-12, 12-13 or 12-14. Most of them were 12-13 which is the same as a regular nickel.

So your conclusion seems to be accurate.
    Lifetime totals:
    10 Large Cents, 415 Indian Heads, 2 Two Cent Pieces, 1 Capped Bust Half Dime, 1 Seated Half Dime, 10 Shield Nickels, 68 V Nickels, 124 Buffalo Nickels, 31 War Nickels, 16 Seated Dimes, 131 Barber Dimes, 405 Mercury Dimes, 249 Rosies, 4 Seated Quarters, 18 Barber Quarters, 20 Standing Liberty Quarters, 89 Silver Washingtons, 1 Seated Half, 3 Barber Halves, 16 Walking Liberty Halves

YouTube Channel: Tony Two-Cent https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCmz...RlHTBIU42bUORg

Quote Originally Posted by Bucknut View Post
    I have not found many war nickels, but they seem to vary quite a bit on my CTX. I had a few at the normal 12-12, most hit around 12-14, some hit as high as 12-18/19 which is a rare number for me to dig since thats 99.9% going to be a pulltab. Only when in a nearly pulltab free area with few other signals will I dig in that range. But I have been surprised a couple times.
    Equipment:

DOD - pending how the war nickel is in the ground, I usually am getting a 12-14 one way and a 12-18to21 the other way, but it just sounds solid. Kind of weird, but I feel like I can call out a war nickel when I get over one OR maybe I say that to myself before I get all the pull tabs too. In all seriousness, it does come a across a bit different even though the numbers are the same as a pull tab. The pull tabs where the beaver tail is folded onto the ring is the one that gets me. Every year I feel like I make leaps and bounds better with the CTX. My 8th year with it now. I still get most of those signals if the ground is easy to dig. Good luck out there.
    Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Waterproof Pinpointer, CTX3030 with 6,11,17" coils.

Elite Member
    More good finds. That must be an old ring with that high of gold content. I agree with you on nickels as the Etrac seem to hit around 13 for war nickels but the equinox seems to be the same for regular or silver nickels. Great recoveries and thx for posting. WD
    Total silver 3 - Goal 50 (2024 Finds) - 0 Washington - 0 Barber Dimes - 0 Mercury Dimes- - 3 Roosevelt Dimes - 0 V Nickels - 0 Buffalos - 0 War Nickels - 0 Indian - 10 Wheats - $ 3.44 in clad
    Relics: MILESTONES since 2012: 1700 silver coins - 8000 Clad Quarters - 500 Roosevelts - 750 Mercury Dimes