Thread: A couple of Trefid spoon handles

A couple of Trefid spoon handles

Dug these a few weeks back at a small remote colonial site that I hadn't been to in some time. No foundation, just a hole in the ground. Not even any stone walls. This is an older site. Looking at my records, the only two coins from there were a 1722 Rosa and a 1723 Hibernia. The site has given up a few crusty pewter buttons, a buckle or two and not much else. I detected that site for about 3 hours and the only nonferrous hits were these two spoon handles. They were about 50 feet apart and both were on edge. That explains how they had eluded capture in the past. I don't have any other spoons like that. But that trefid pattern was apparently out of style by the very early 1700s. That makes sense with the age of everything else found at that site. They appear to be made of brass that was plated with either nickel or silver.

Oldest find: 5,000 year old copper spearhead
    Oldest coin: 1699 William III halfpenny
    Purdiest coin: 1832 Capped Bust quarter
    Coolest find: USA button with blue threads still on shank

"He who would search for pearls must dive below."

Interesting finds.
    Detectors I use: Minelab Equinox 900 & Manticore
    Favorite finds I have made:
    1,000+ silver coins
    92pcs of 1700's Trade Era Silver
    Copper Culture Indian Artifacts
    125+ War of 1812 Era buttons and relics
    My wife
    (probably should have started with that one)

Sites that hold these types of finds are usually more quiet than others , but its because they are much older and iron was more expensive and or scarcer to obtain . I love these sites because of the better chances of finding a "tree coin" , we have a few of them here in Connecticut and western Mass and one even produced a tree coin for Donnie and other earlier types of coppers but many can't detect these as they get bored of the lack of targets and iron . I love finding Trefid and latten spoons .

Dan
    "Honesty is an expensive gift ,
    so don't expect it from cheap people"

XP Deus II , DFX ,TDI sl -

Click here to view my finds album

Very interesting finds, and makes one wonder how they came to be on edge so far apart.

Quote Originally Posted by del View Post
    Sites that hold these types of finds are usually more quiet than others , but its because they are much older and iron was more expensive and or scarcer to obtain . I love these sites because of the better chances of finding a "tree coin" , we have a few of them here in Connecticut and western Mass and one even produced a tree coin for Donnie and other earlier types of coppers but many can't detect these as they get bored of the lack of targets and iron . I love finding Trefid and latten spoons .

Dan
    Dan, I would welcome a "quiet" site sometimes. Being from the Midwest most of our sites are overwhelming with modern trash and iron, with the rare good signal in between. The only "quiet" sites I have detected were quiet for a reason- either recently filled with clean dirt, detected to death where even the nails and pulltabs were removed, or the rare site that had almost no human contact so having never had anything dropped.
    Equipment:
    Minelab: CTX 3030, GPX 4800, X-Terra 705. Whites TDI SL.

2024: Silver 1, Gold 0
    Best finds: 28 silver dime spill, 1800s Dutch customs seal.
    Oldest/best coins: Late 1700's Chinese Cash Coin, 1837 Upper Canada large cent, 1877 Seated Dime
    Oldest Relic find: 1800 Sailors Luck token
    You Tube: Rediscovering America
    Quote: Treasures are like potato chips, you can never have just one!

You are right Dan, hardly even any crusty nails at this site. Digger I imagine 300 years of frost heaves eventulally oriented those two objects on their edges. Once on edge, I think they tend to stay that way.

Dan
    I love them too and, thank you, for taking me to some of those sites. I seem to recall you finding a very nice relic (saddle pommel?) or coin at one of those quiet sites. I did find a Trefid Spoon fragment at the Shilling site. For some reason, I can't post a photo.
    XP Deus

Quote Originally Posted by Donnie B View Post
    I love them too and, thank you, for taking me to some of those sites. I seem to recall you finding a very nice relic (saddle pommel?) or coin at one of those quiet sites. I did find a Trefid Spoon fragment at the Shilling site. For some reason, I can't post a photo.
    I was thinking about hitting a couple of them quieter sites tomorrow
    "Honesty is an expensive gift ,
    so don't expect it from cheap people"

XP Deus II , DFX ,TDI sl -

Click here to view my finds album

HA! You had me thinking the same thing Dan. Since this site with the trefid spoons is a very quiet site with out much iron, I was going to go back to it with the 13" coil and go all metal mode with Goldfield and maybe sniff out a super deep goodie.

I was thinking about hitting a couple of them quieter sites tomorrow
    Dang it! I would love to hit them again! I could roam around those fields for a whole day. It would be quiet most of the time but there's always the chance to find something really nice.
    XP Deus

Love it. Thanks for the education on these!
    Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Waterproof Pinpointer, CTX3030 with 6,11,17" coils.