Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Life getting busier?

Quote Originally Posted by fyrffytr1 View Post
    Our hunting comes in spurts down here.We start mid January after deer season closes and hunt until crops are planted between March and May. Then we are out of the fields until Harvest which starts late July through the end of September, Once we get back in we can only hunt until the start of deer season which is around the middle of October. When we can't hunt the planted fields we will go to the creek and sift for Native American artifacts if it is below 3.5 feet. any higher and we can't reach the holes in the bottom.I did make three bucket list finds this year.First was a model 1808 militia shoulder belt plate, then a civil war Republican Guard coat button and finally a Native American egg stone. I also recovered an 1838 seated liberty dime in very good condition and a 1789 Spanish half reale in worn condition. I may get in a couple more hunts at fields the hunters don't use but we could use some rain to make the signals pop.
    Must be nice! When you're out hunting in January us Northerners are more worried about using our detectors to find our vehicles in the snow bank after the plows come through!
    Equipment:
    Minelab: CTX 3030, GPX 4800, X-Terra 705. Whites TDI SL.

2024: Silver 1, Gold 0
    Best finds: 28 silver dime spill, 1800s Dutch customs seal.
    Oldest/best coins: Late 1700's Chinese Cash Coin, 1837 Upper Canada large cent, 1877 Seated Dime
    Oldest Relic find: 1800 Sailors Luck token
    You Tube: Rediscovering America
    Quote: Treasures are like potato chips, you can never have just one!

Recent update: I'm currently on my 3rd week at the new job and it's been quite the ride so far. I was hired as a maintenance supervisor by the maintenance manager and his boss. The first day the manager wasn't here so just did the typical onboarding. By the end of the second day I learned that the manager was let go. By the third day I was moving my stuff from the broom closet they called the supervisor's office and moved into the manager's cushy office! As of this week I now attend the daily manager's meetings, doing department payroll, etc. on top of my supervisor's duties. My current boss (officially 2 levels above me) and I had to go through training for the payroll and attendance software training through our HR manager. I asked about setting schedule patterns and running reports and HR manager stated it was impossible because they didn't have that feature. Next day I had 2 week schedule patterns programmed and the schedule report printed out for posting, and took those to my boss for approval. Next thing I know I'm spending the next afternoon in his office training the boss how to run the software-which eliminates hours of data entry every week, and eliminates the requirement of creating a redundant spreadsheet to post on site for the employees to see their schedules, vacations, etc. Guess I was made for this job! lol

So anyway, here's the kicker. While I was waiting in the hall for my boss to finish a call, I started chatting with the general manager (the BIG boss!) about his wall of awards the company has received over the years and eventually the topic turned to history of the area, and then into metal detecting and how he would love to take up the hobby. Now it looks like I may be taking him out on some hunts for him to try it, and if he gets hooked I may have a new hunting partner once in a while! Small world sometimes I guess.
    Equipment:

Oldest/best coins: Late 1700's Chinese Cash Coin, 1837 Upper Canada large cent, 1877 Seated Dime

That was a quick climb up the corporate ladder! Instead of waiting another 3 weeks for your next promotion, when you take your boss out detecting, accidentally push him down a well.
    Oldest find: 5,000 year old copper spearhead
    Oldest coin: 1699 William III halfpenny
    Purdiest coin: 1832 Capped Bust quarter
    Coolest find: USA button with blue threads still on shank

"He who would search for pearls must dive below."

Sounds like a lot of hard work DoD. Sometimes it's just easier to sleep your way to the top!
    Oldest Coin: 100-60 BC Gallic bronze coin (Sequani Tribe)
    Oldest Silver Coin: 1156 hammered Pfennig from (now) Bavaria
    Oldest U.S. coin: 1805 Draped Bust Large Cent
    Best Coins EVER: 1625 4 Sols from Kingdom of Chateau Renaud, France
    1662 15 Kreuzers, Leopold I, Austria
    Best Relics: Bronze Age Arrowheads & Spearhead, 2c Roman silver ring, complete medieval knight's spur (x6)
    YouTube Channel: Full Metal Digger

Quote Originally Posted by Lodge Scent View Post
    That was a quick climb up the corporate ladder! Instead of waiting another 3 weeks for your next promotion, when you take your boss out detecting, accidentally push him down a well.
    I actually didn't get promoted, just got the office and many of the duties. And about the well....I'll pass, actually kinda like the guy!
    Equipment: