Thread: Old Chisel?

Old Chisel?

Yesterday my Mom sent me a picture of this interesting iron tool she found at the "Saw Pit" site where I found so much stuff at recently.

So I was wondering what you guys think it is. Is it a chisel? or some other wood working tool?

Also the markers mark is kinda fancy which tells me it was not just a ho hum tool but something important. Besides google, is there a source that can help us find info on old markers marks. I am sure there is but I don't know it.

Name:  m6.jpg
Views: 100
Size:  57.0 KB
    Name:  m5.jpg
Views: 101
Size:  126.5 KB
    Name:  m4.jpg
Views: 99
Size:  32.8 KB

Please let me know your thoughts.
    Thanks, Jared
    Detectors I use: Minelab Equinox 900 & Manticore
    Favorite finds I have made:
    1,000+ silver coins
    92pcs of 1700's Trade Era Silver
    Copper Culture Indian Artifacts
    125+ War of 1812 Era buttons and relics
    My wife
    (probably should have started with that one)

It's a mystery to me, Jared, although chisel seems like a logical guess. The maker's mark definitely has a 1700s look to it.
    Lifetime totals:
    10 Large Cents, 415 Indian Heads, 2 Two Cent Pieces, 1 Capped Bust Half Dime, 1 Seated Half Dime, 10 Shield Nickels, 68 V Nickels, 124 Buffalo Nickels, 31 War Nickels, 16 Seated Dimes, 131 Barber Dimes, 405 Mercury Dimes, 249 Rosies, 4 Seated Quarters, 18 Barber Quarters, 20 Standing Liberty Quarters, 89 Silver Washingtons, 1 Seated Half, 3 Barber Halves, 16 Walking Liberty Halves

YouTube Channel: Tony Two-Cent https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCmz...RlHTBIU42bUORg

Wow, that thing is too cool. It looks like it would be hafted to be thrusted rather than swung. Maybe it's some sort of tree bark spud or peeler?
    Oldest find: 5,000 year old copper spearhead
    Oldest coin: 1699 William III halfpenny
    Purdiest coin: 1832 Capped Bust quarter
    Coolest find: USA button with blue threads still on shank

"He who would search for pearls must dive below."

Interesting find! Did you do the electrolysis on it? It looks really well done. LOVE the maker's mark too. It's not a chisel because the tang is meant to go in a wooden handle. You wouldn't want to be pounding on the wooden handle with a hammer while you're chiseling something. It's got a very unusual flare at what I assume would be the top of the handle. It looks to me like the flare prevents the metal from sinking deeper into the handle as it is being used, sort of like a hilt (in reverse). I wish I knew what it was. Be sure to let us know if you do find out! Thanks for sharing and happy digging! Dave.
    Oldest Coin: 100-60 BC Gallic bronze coin (Sequani Tribe)
    Oldest Silver Coin: 1156 hammered Pfennig from (now) Bavaria
    Oldest U.S. coin: 1805 Draped Bust Large Cent
    Best Coins EVER: 1625 4 Sols from Kingdom of Chateau Renaud, France
    1662 15 Kreuzers, Leopold I, Austria
    Best Relics: Bronze Age Arrowheads & Spearhead, 2c Roman silver ring, complete medieval knight's spur (x6)
    YouTube Channel: Full Metal Digger

I think you both are on to something. I do not see hitting the back end of that tool with a hammer so it makes sense that it was driven into a shaft or handle and the handle would go all the way up to the flares. So maybe it was a small hand chisel or some other type of tool like a bark peeler.

Thanks for your thoughts!
    1,000+ silver coins
    My wife

I bet that this is a colonial plane blade much like this one!

https://teddawsonantiquetools.com/pr...profile-wedges
    Equipment:
    Minelab: CTX 3030, GPX 4800, X-Terra 705. Whites TDI SL.

2024: Silver 1, Gold 0
    Best finds: 28 silver dime spill, 1800s Dutch customs seal.
    Oldest/best coins: Late 1700's Chinese Cash Coin, 1837 Upper Canada large cent, 1877 Seated Dime
    Oldest Relic find: 1800 Sailors Luck token
    You Tube: Rediscovering America
    Quote: Treasures are like potato chips, you can never have just one!

DOD you nailed it! Thank you!
    1,000+ silver coins
    My wife

Nicely identified DoD!! I found a medieval plane blade back in April but the style is nowhere as nice as Jared's!
    Attached Images Attached Images    
    Oldest Coin: 100-60 BC Gallic bronze coin (Sequani Tribe)
    Oldest Silver Coin: 1156 hammered Pfennig from (now) Bavaria
    Oldest U.S. coin: 1805 Draped Bust Large Cent
    Best Coins EVER: 1625 4 Sols from Kingdom of Chateau Renaud, France
    1662 15 Kreuzers, Leopold I, Austria
    Best Relics: Bronze Age Arrowheads & Spearhead, 2c Roman silver ring, complete medieval knight's spur (x6)
    YouTube Channel: Full Metal Digger

Jared - with some of these finds you are getting, you may want to consider hooking up with an Anthropology department at your local college. Not sure exactly where you live, but it would be easy enough to find someone who might know these items. Here in Milwaukee, we have UW-Milwaukee and they have an excellent Anthro dept. Now I just need to find some cool items... I had a few relics over the years that I showed pictures to them and they of course already had non-dug examples. They were pretty nice about the whole thing, but I think there still is an underlying "metal detecting people are hacks" syndrome that these people have.

With what you have been finding "up North" is something I would certainly bring to them in person to help identify. Univ of MI has a good Anthro Department.
    Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Waterproof Pinpointer, CTX3030 with 6,11,17" coils.

Quote Originally Posted by badgers325 View Post
    Jared - with some of these finds you are getting, you may want to consider hooking up with an Anthropology department at your local college. Not sure exactly where you live, but it would be easy enough to find someone who might know these items. Here in Milwaukee, we have UW-Milwaukee and they have an excellent Anthro dept. Now I just need to find some cool items... I had a few relics over the years that I showed pictures to them and they of course already had non-dug examples. They were pretty nice about the whole thing, but I think there still is an underlying "metal detecting people are hacks" syndrome that these people have.

With what you have been finding "up North" is something I would certainly bring to them in person to help identify. Univ of MI has a good Anthro Department.
    I've tried contacting the university people about some finds of mine, specifically a couple items that don't exactly align with the current historical narrative of the area-you know, those "what the heck is this doing here?" type find. Even with e-mails documenting the items and photos, they went unanswered, and phone messages were never returned. I eventually gave up.

In case you are wondering, one item was a flax bale seal which I later found a person who keeps a database of these and similar seals over in the UK where they are typically found. According to him it's the only one known to have ever been found on this side of the Atlantic, and he was also just as dumbfounded as I was as to how it came to be here.

The other item was a medallion that I was able to research as being a sailor's luck token, often worn as a pendant to keep them safe at sea. The artwork and symbols are found over a span of over 2000 years, but this particular medallion I found through size, material, and variation to date from around 1800, and made in Prussia. Being a maritime artifact, I took it to a local maritime museum where the curator took a lot of interest in it. The medallion is currently on loan to the museum and on display there.
    Equipment:
    Minelab: CTX 3030, GPX 4800, X-Terra 705. Whites TDI SL.

2024: Silver 1, Gold 0
    Best finds: 28 silver dime spill, 1800s Dutch customs seal.
    Oldest/best coins: Late 1700's Chinese Cash Coin, 1837 Upper Canada large cent, 1877 Seated Dime
    Oldest Relic find: 1800 Sailors Luck token
    You Tube: Rediscovering America
    Quote: Treasures are like potato chips, you can never have just one!

That's cool DOD. At least your find is going to something useful for others to see as well.
    Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Waterproof Pinpointer, CTX3030 with 6,11,17" coils.