Thread: Counterfeit Coin

Counterfeit Coin

I was going through some more of my brother's stuff and found a coin I could not identify. Turns out it is a counterfeit 5 dollar gold piece. It is struck on a silver planchet and is as old as it dates. There are faint traces of gold plating left on it. Where a real 5 dollar gold coin weighs 8.359 grams this counterfeit only weighs 5.43 grams.
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    My wife does all the driving, I just hold the steering wheel!

Very interesting! I know some contemporary counterfeit coins are worth a little bit of money.
    Oldest Coin: 100-60 BC Gallic bronze coin (Sequani Tribe)
    Oldest Silver Coin: 1156 hammered Pfennig from (now) Bavaria
    Oldest U.S. coin: 1805 Draped Bust Large Cent
    Best Coins EVER: 1625 4 Sols from Kingdom of Chateau Renaud, France
    1662 15 Kreuzers, Leopold I, Austria
    Best Relics: Bronze Age Arrowheads & Spearhead, 2c Roman silver ring, complete medieval knight's spur (x6)
    YouTube Channel: Full Metal Digger

So cool!
    On Instagram- oxshoedrew

I've been thinking about this counterfeit coin you found. Most counterfeit coins are cast. This coin has been struck on a silver planchet, not cast. Is it possible that it is a mint error of some sort, or maybe made by a mint employee on the sly? I think it would be worth sending off the NGC to be identified/graded. You may actually have something that is quite valuable! (seriously). Dave.
    Oldest Coin: 100-60 BC Gallic bronze coin (Sequani Tribe)
    Oldest Silver Coin: 1156 hammered Pfennig from (now) Bavaria
    Oldest U.S. coin: 1805 Draped Bust Large Cent
    Best Coins EVER: 1625 4 Sols from Kingdom of Chateau Renaud, France
    1662 15 Kreuzers, Leopold I, Austria
    Best Relics: Bronze Age Arrowheads & Spearhead, 2c Roman silver ring, complete medieval knight's spur (x6)
    YouTube Channel: Full Metal Digger

Quote Originally Posted by Full Metal Digger View Post
    I've been thinking about this counterfeit coin you found. Most counterfeit coins are cast. This coin has been struck on a silver planchet, not cast. Is it possible that it is a mint error of some sort, or maybe made by a mint employee on the sly? I think it would be worth sending off the NGC to be identified/graded. You may actually have something that is quite valuable! (seriously). Dave.
    I wist it was a valuable coin. According to some knowledgeable people on a Facebook group there are a handful of this variety known and it has a value between $75-&100. If it didn't have the hole it would be twice that. Here's a link to the page. Scroll down about four or five posts to find mine.
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/845348399902181
    My wife does all the driving, I just hold the steering wheel!