Thread: Amazing finds on Wisconsin road trip with Tim and Jeff!

Amazing finds on Wisconsin road trip with Tim and Jeff!

Hi Friends,
    This weekend I made the 6-hour journey to meet with Tim (Ill_Digger) and Jeff (Fire Fighter 43) in Wisconsin for some amazing detecting at an 1842 Church and its many acres of grounds. The weather was cool and crisp but not too cold. It wasn't long before everyone had a silver coin in their pouch (even though this place has been detected many times before by others).
    My first bucket list item was a flying eagle cent (no date) from about 6 inches deep. I was on cloud 9 after that! A short while later I got a very faint high tone about 10 inches deep. The soil there is that rich, black soil that cuts like butter when you dig your plug. The signal disappeared and I couldn't find it anywhere! I happen to look down and there was a little black coin right next to my knee. I must have flipped it out and not even realized it. I was so surprised to see it was a Civil War store card (token) and it was in great shape. Another bucket list find!
    Later in the day I got a penny signal down deep and when I cut the plug and scooped out some dirt, I could see a big button down in the hole. I was so happy to see that eagle and shield on the domed front! Another bucket list item! Three in one day, what a great trip! Special thanks to Tim and Jeff for helping set this up and especially to Jeff for sharing such an amazing permission with us. Thanks for looking and happy digging! Dave.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Oldest Coin: 100-60 BC Gallic bronze coin (Sequani Tribe)
    Oldest Silver Coin: 1156 hammered Pfennig from (now) Bavaria
    Oldest U.S. coin: 1805 Draped Bust Large Cent
    Best Coins EVER: 1625 4 Sols from Kingdom of Chateau Renaud, France
    1662 15 Kreuzers, Leopold I, Austria
    Best Relics: Bronze Age Arrowheads & Spearhead, 2c Roman silver ring, complete medieval knight's spur (x6)
    YouTube Channel: Full Metal Digger

Congratulations! Beautiful finds!! That CW store token is stunning!!
    Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Waterproof Pinpointer, CTX3030 with 6,11,17" coils.

Sweet Rosie! Seriously though to get 3 bucket listers is pretty special!
    Last edited by Bucknut; 11-13-2023 at 04:46 PM.
    Detectors I use: Minelab Equinox 900 & Manticore
    Favorite finds I have made:
    1,000+ silver coins
    92pcs of 1700's Trade Era Silver
    Copper Culture Indian Artifacts
    125+ War of 1812 Era buttons and relics
    My wife
    (probably should have started with that one)

That's an amazing hunt, especially here in Wisconsin! To find anything CW related goes way back to well before most of the state was settled.

I would honestly love to see a timeline mapped out of how the state was first explored by Etienne Brule in 1622, then again by Jean Nicolet in 1632, and then settled first by the traders and adventurers, and later the farmers, entrepreneurs after. I know they first came by way of Green Bay and then followed the coastline of Lake Michigan, and then explored down the Fox River. There were also expeditions from the South that came up the Mississippi River and headed East through the state finally creating a trade route through the state. I find this history quite intriguing as so many details have been lost to history, or only remain in bits and pieces-the only evidence maybe some small bits of diaries, log books, or what we find detecting in places we never would have thought had history of European contact back so far.
    Equipment:
    Minelab: CTX 3030, GPX 4800, X-Terra 705. Whites TDI SL.

2024: Silver 1, Gold 0
    Best finds: 28 silver dime spill, 1800s Dutch customs seal.
    Oldest/best coins: Late 1700's Chinese Cash Coin, 1837 Upper Canada large cent, 1877 Seated Dime
    Oldest Relic find: 1800 Sailors Luck token
    You Tube: Rediscovering America
    Quote: Treasures are like potato chips, you can never have just one!

Elite Member
    Congrats on all the bucket listers and that is saying a lot with all the amazing things you have found over the years. Thx for posting. WD
    Total silver 3 - Goal 50 (2024 Finds) - 0 Washington - 0 Barber Dimes - 0 Mercury Dimes- - 3 Roosevelt Dimes - 0 V Nickels - 0 Buffalos - 0 War Nickels - 0 Indian - 10 Wheats - $ 3.44 in clad
    Relics: MILESTONES since 2012: 1700 silver coins - 8000 Clad Quarters - 500 Roosevelts - 750 Mercury Dimes

Some great finds for sure. Love that CW token!
    Oldest find: 5,000 year old copper spearhead
    Oldest coin: 1699 William III halfpenny
    Purdiest coin: 1832 Capped Bust quarter
    Coolest find: USA button with blue threads still on shank

"He who would search for pearls must dive below."

It sure was a special day!
    Congrats on the bucketlisters!!
    Cheers mate!
    Some days you get the corn, some days you get the cob
    ​Oldest coin: ​70 B.C. "Harlow Flyer" gold qtr. Stater
    Oldest U.S. coin: 1814 Capped Bust Dime