Thread: New year, new goals?

New year, new goals?

Hello everyone!

I know it's early in the year yet but with our recent thaw I'm starting to think about spring hunts already. But what I was also thinking about was what I would hope to find this year that would set this year apart from the rest. Last year I didn't get out nearly as much as I would have hoped, but I did manage a bucket lister-sort of a double hitter at that. I got my first old Chinese coin like many others I know in the Midwest have found, and in doing so I also broke into the 1700s for the first time. Although I would have preferred it to be a 1700s American coin, or even a Spanish Real, I was still thrilled.

My hope for the next year is to scratch a few off the the 'ol bucket list. This includes a 2 cent piece, a trime, and maybe a seated quarter. Again, on the "fantasy finds" list would be the ever elusive 20 cent piece and a gold coin (or gold hoard?).

So what's on everyone else's list for 2024?
    Equipment:
    Minelab: CTX 3030, GPX 4800, X-Terra 705. Whites TDI SL.

2024: Silver 1, Gold 0
    Best finds: 28 silver dime spill, 1800s Dutch customs seal.
    Oldest/best coins: Late 1700's Chinese Cash Coin, 1837 Upper Canada large cent, 1877 Seated Dime
    Oldest Relic find: 1800 Sailors Luck token
    You Tube: Rediscovering America
    Quote: Treasures are like potato chips, you can never have just one!

I didn't get out much last year either. Hopefully that will change now that I'm retired. (As of January 26)

My goals are always to find something on my bucket list, or some coin or relic I've never found before. Here's my US coin bucket list:

Half Cent
    Draped Bust Large Cent (or older)
    Flying Eagle Cent
    Trime
    3 Cent Nickel
    Capped Bust Dime
    20 Cent Piece
    Capped Bust Quarter
    Capped Bust Half Dollar
    Franklin Half
    Silver Dollar
    Any Gold Coin
    Lifetime totals:
    10 Large Cents, 415 Indian Heads, 2 Two Cent Pieces, 1 Capped Bust Half Dime, 1 Seated Half Dime, 10 Shield Nickels, 68 V Nickels, 124 Buffalo Nickels, 31 War Nickels, 16 Seated Dimes, 131 Barber Dimes, 405 Mercury Dimes, 249 Rosies, 4 Seated Quarters, 18 Barber Quarters, 20 Standing Liberty Quarters, 89 Silver Washingtons, 1 Seated Half, 3 Barber Halves, 16 Walking Liberty Halves

YouTube Channel: Tony Two-Cent https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCmz...RlHTBIU42bUORg

Wow, I'm not sure what my bucket list is anymore! I have 2 trips to Europe planned for some detecting holidays this year. Hopefully, I will have great times with friends and discover some old relic or coin(s) that is new to me. Best wishes to everyone and happy digging! Dave.
    Oldest Coin: 100-60 BC Gallic bronze coin (Sequani Tribe)
    Oldest Silver Coin: 1156 hammered Pfennig from (now) Bavaria
    Oldest U.S. coin: 1805 Draped Bust Large Cent
    Best Coins EVER: 1625 4 Sols from Kingdom of Chateau Renaud, France
    1662 15 Kreuzers, Leopold I, Austria
    Best Relics: Bronze Age Arrowheads & Spearhead, 2c Roman silver ring, complete medieval knight's spur (x6)
    YouTube Channel: Full Metal Digger

Tony,
    First off, congrats on the retirement! Does that come with a new machine? I heard somewhere all newly retired guys are issued a metal detector and a section of beach.

Secondly I have to say that's a pretty impressive bucket list! I should add the flying eagle cent to my list as well, along with any capped bust coin.
    Equipment:
    Minelab: CTX 3030, GPX 4800, X-Terra 705. Whites TDI SL.

2024: Silver 1, Gold 0
    Best finds: 28 silver dime spill, 1800s Dutch customs seal.
    Oldest/best coins: Late 1700's Chinese Cash Coin, 1837 Upper Canada large cent, 1877 Seated Dime
    Oldest Relic find: 1800 Sailors Luck token
    You Tube: Rediscovering America
    Quote: Treasures are like potato chips, you can never have just one!

Congrats on your retirement Tony!

I hope we all can get out detecting a lot this year and I really hope to see some posts from people who are long time members but have not posted in awhile for whatever reason.

For me 2024 is going to be different. I just started a new job which will likely not leave me my lunch detecting opportunities that I have taken full advantage of for over a decade now. I do plan to spend time at the beaches this summer during the evenings...finding 9 pcs of gold last year was a lot of fun and I hope to do the same this year.

As far as bucket listers go I hope to find a trime. There are plenty of other bucket listers to find but that is the one I want.

I will be going up to my cottage for sure this year. Maybe not as often as I hope to with my new job but every time I go I always find something special and I can't wait to get back up there and do some more exploring.
    Detectors I use: Minelab Equinox 900 & Manticore
    Favorite finds I have made:
    1,000+ silver coins
    92pcs of 1700's Trade Era Silver
    Copper Culture Indian Artifacts
    125+ War of 1812 Era buttons and relics
    My wife
    (probably should have started with that one)

Everyone has awesome plans and hopes! In September I'm detecting in Europe, so I'd like to find something in Old England pre-dating anything we find here in New England. At home I guess the top of my list would be a tree shilling or flowing hair cent. I know a few people who've dug them so its possible...I've never heard of anyone digging a gold coin so I don't hold out any hope of that.
    On Instagram- oxshoedrew

Quote Originally Posted by OxShoeDrew View Post
    In September I'm detecting in Europe, so I'd like to find something in Old England pre-dating anything we find here in New England.
    Drew, are you going to Colchester of a different group?
    Oldest Coin: 100-60 BC Gallic bronze coin (Sequani Tribe)
    Oldest Silver Coin: 1156 hammered Pfennig from (now) Bavaria
    Oldest U.S. coin: 1805 Draped Bust Large Cent
    Best Coins EVER: 1625 4 Sols from Kingdom of Chateau Renaud, France
    1662 15 Kreuzers, Leopold I, Austria
    Best Relics: Bronze Age Arrowheads & Spearhead, 2c Roman silver ring, complete medieval knight's spur (x6)
    YouTube Channel: Full Metal Digger

Quote Originally Posted by Full Metal Digger View Post
    Drew, are you going to Colchester of a different group?
    Different group, Dave
    On Instagram- oxshoedrew

Haven't posted in some time, but I do drop in now and then to see what everyone is digging up, I went once once last summer, haven't done much of anything for about a year, lost my son about a year ago 35 years old, been tough on the family, so not much of an interest in anything for awhile, hopefully I get out more this summer, never had a list of finds I want I'm just as happy with ole spoon as a coin. First sugaring season, then turkey hunting, then racing for the summer and some dirt fishing maybe some R/C flying.
    Machines: Whites MXT / Tesoro Eldorado / Garrett Ace 350 / Equinox 800

Quote Originally Posted by Iceman-ny View Post
    Haven't posted in some time, but I do drop in now and then to see what everyone is digging up, I went once once last summer, haven't done much of anything for about a year, lost my son about a year ago 35 years old, been tough on the family, so not much of an interest in anything for awhile, hopefully I get out more this summer, never had a list of finds I want I'm just as happy with ole spoon as a coin. First sugaring season, then turkey hunting, then racing for the summer and some dirt fishing maybe some R/C flying.

I am very sorry about the loss of your son. I can't even imagine. I know you will never get over it, but it's good that you are slowly getting back to activities that you enjoy. It's what your son would have wanted, most likely. Hold on to memories of the good times.
    Lifetime totals:
    10 Large Cents, 415 Indian Heads, 2 Two Cent Pieces, 1 Capped Bust Half Dime, 1 Seated Half Dime, 10 Shield Nickels, 68 V Nickels, 124 Buffalo Nickels, 31 War Nickels, 16 Seated Dimes, 131 Barber Dimes, 405 Mercury Dimes, 249 Rosies, 4 Seated Quarters, 18 Barber Quarters, 20 Standing Liberty Quarters, 89 Silver Washingtons, 1 Seated Half, 3 Barber Halves, 16 Walking Liberty Halves

YouTube Channel: Tony Two-Cent https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCmz...RlHTBIU42bUORg

Thank you Tony.
    Machines: Whites MXT / Tesoro Eldorado / Garrett Ace 350 / Equinox 800