Thread: Detecting Utah?

Detecting Utah?

Hello all,
    I hope this day finds you well. I'm posting because I've been researching St. George Utah where I am currently interviewing for a new job promotion. This is in the SW corner of the state near the junction of Utah, Nevada, and Arizona. I know the area has a bit of history, mostly with the Mormon settlement and lots of scattered gold/silver mining activity in the past. But I know very little about any detecting rules of regulations in that particular state, so any insight into this would be appreciated.

Secondly, if anyone has been there, I would love to hear about your experiences there including lifestyle, climate, geography, etc. I'm thinking of course my main detecting activity will turn to prospecting gold nuggets which I think will be a blast! I hear there's some old mining camps that could also hold quite a few surprises. But I think this will be the perfect place to really use my Minelab GPX-4800 as it was intended, and dying to try my big custom coil in the heavily mineralized (magnetite) soil.

Thanks!
    Equipment:
    Minelab: CTX 3030, GPX 4800, X-Terra 705. Whites TDI SL.

2024: Silver 1, Gold 0
    Best finds: 28 silver dime spill, 1800s Dutch customs seal.
    Oldest/best coins: Late 1700's Chinese Cash Coin, 1837 Upper Canada large cent, 1877 Seated Dime
    Oldest Relic find: 1800 Sailors Luck token
    You Tube: Rediscovering America
    Quote: Treasures are like potato chips, you can never have just one!

Digger, that's the one corner of the state I haven't been to. Moab region is great. I've also driven from SLC up into Idaho many times. Mormon culture dominates of course. Friendly folks that are family oriented. I have a couple of close friends and many acquaintances that are Mormon. So please no one get on my case when I say that you might find your self a bit of an outsider if you are not of the faith. But an important fact to note is that even though they were a bit late to the game, Utah has a growing microbrewery scene. And if you are into mead, that's the place to be. Hot and dry in the summer, cold and dry in the winter, TONS of snow in the mountains, but other than that, I've always enjoyed my visits there.
    Oldest find: 5,000 year old copper spearhead
    Oldest coin: 1699 William III halfpenny
    Purdiest coin: 1832 Capped Bust quarter
    Coolest find: USA button with blue threads still on shank

"He who would search for pearls must dive below."

Quote Originally Posted by Lodge Scent View Post
    Digger, that's the one corner of the state I haven't been to. Moab region is great. I've also driven from SLC up into Idaho many times. Mormon culture dominates of course. Friendly folks that are family oriented. I have a couple of close friends and many acquaintances that are Mormon. So please no one get on my case when I say that you might find your self a bit of an outsider if you are not of the faith. But an important fact to note is that even though they were a bit late to the game, Utah has a growing microbrewery scene. And if you are into mead, that's the place to be. Hot and dry in the summer, cold and dry in the winter, TONS of snow in the mountains, but other than that, I've always enjoyed my visits there.
    Thanks for the info! I have met a few Mormons over the years, and I will say that they were all very nice people from what I experienced, but their religious tenets are a bit....odd? Since I enjoy bartending, I thought to check out the bar businesses in town and found there are only 4, which are restricted to one tiny district downtown. I also found out that the town has now reduced the license quota from 4 to only 2, so no chance of future businesses, and certainly no chance of any micro brews in the town limits. What I did notice is a ton of metal detecting and prospecting related businesses, and loads of tourist trap places like gift shops, etc.
    Equipment:
    Minelab: CTX 3030, GPX 4800, X-Terra 705. Whites TDI SL.

2024: Silver 1, Gold 0
    Best finds: 28 silver dime spill, 1800s Dutch customs seal.
    Oldest/best coins: Late 1700's Chinese Cash Coin, 1837 Upper Canada large cent, 1877 Seated Dime
    Oldest Relic find: 1800 Sailors Luck token
    You Tube: Rediscovering America
    Quote: Treasures are like potato chips, you can never have just one!