Thread: Mediocre Hunt Saved By A Cool B&O Baggage Tag

Threaded View

Mediocre Hunt Saved By A Cool B&O Baggage Tag

I went to visit my dad yesterday and he said, "Be sure to bring your metal detector" so I did. He didn't have a specific site in mind so we ended up trying our luck at a grassy strip between the main street and railroad tracks in his small hometown.

There weren't many finds but I did find a couple of silver dimes. They were pitted and tarnished which is common for silver found next to the railroad tracks. Also got a 1925 Wheat Cent.

The highlight of the day was a B&O.S.W.R.Y. baggage tag. It was about 8" deep and produced a screaming signal. It says, "PLEASE SEND THIS CHECK TO YOUR GEN'L BAGG. AGT. AT ONCE TO BE RETURNED TO GEN. PASSENGER AGENT". It is 2 1/8" x 2 3/4" and made of heavy brass. I'm not sure of its age but I think it's from the late 1890s or early 1900s. This was an extra special find because my dad worked for the B&O Railroad for 26 years. He was super thrilled with this relic!

I cherish every moment that I get to spend with my dad. At age 84 he is as sharp as ever. He's the guy who got me into metal detecting 56 years ago!

Name:  FINDS.jpg
Views: 49
Size:  85.6 KBName:  COINS.jpg
Views: 48
Size:  132.5 KBName:  WHEAT.jpg
Views: 48
Size:  105.6 KBName:  TAG C.jpg
Views: 47
Size:  96.0 KBName:  DON TONY.jpg
Views: 47
Size:  71.3 KB
    Last edited by Tony Two-Cent; 03-08-2024 at 04:49 PM.
    Lifetime totals:
    10 Large Cents, 415 Indian Heads, 2 Two Cent Pieces, 1 Capped Bust Half Dime, 1 Seated Half Dime, 10 Shield Nickels, 68 V Nickels, 124 Buffalo Nickels, 31 War Nickels, 16 Seated Dimes, 131 Barber Dimes, 405 Mercury Dimes, 249 Rosies, 4 Seated Quarters, 18 Barber Quarters, 20 Standing Liberty Quarters, 89 Silver Washingtons, 1 Seated Half, 3 Barber Halves, 16 Walking Liberty Halves

YouTube Channel: Tony Two-Cent https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCmz...RlHTBIU42bUORg