Thread: Looking for Ideas & Suggestions for Event

Looking for Ideas & Suggestions for Event

I have been giving a lot of thought to creating a metal detecting event to benefit Metal Detectors 4 Veterans this fall. Unlike other seeded and open events my idea is a “Metal Detecting Rodeo,” where manufacturer teams and individuals would compete against each other in different events testing their skills and machines.
    While I have several ideas for individual events I would really enjoy hearing your thoughts and suggestions about this charity event. Keep in mind this will be a competition with timed and cumulative events that will test sensitivity, depth, discrimination, and the detectorists skill with his/her machine.
    My vision is turning this into an annual event that will be a fun but serious competition between club teams, manufacturer teams, and individuals. It will also be interesting and fun for team supporters and spectators winning “door prizes” and enjoying the competition while learning about the hobby.
    I am really looking forward to your thoughts and suggestions, and if we use your idea for an event I’ll name it after you and send you something special! If you would rather send me your thoughts in private PM me, or email me at GoTreasureHunting@yahoo.com
    I have identified two sites for the event that has parking for up to 450 cars, and enough area to accommodate the events, and I’m talking with the owners about bond requirements and other legal issues. I want the event to be held in different parts of the Country each year to open it up to as many clubs and individuals as possible. – Terry, MD4V.org

Hey Terry, good luck with setting up this event-I know how hard coordinating something like this can be.

As for a really fun event, with no digging needed. Have a test bed layout with maybe a dozen or 2 dozen specific targets at varying depths, and maybe even slightly angled or on edge, and some being obstructed with iron nearby. Every target marked as to location. The goal would be for participants to show their skills identifying what the particular item is. Bonus points for a correct guess at depth or as a tie breaker if needed. You could use a variety of US coins, rings, chunk of can slaw or tin foil ball, crotal bell, pull tab, and maybe even a small gold nugget. Just to make it not too difficult, have a list of like maybe 50 possible items they could choose from to help determine the item.
    Equipment:
    Minelab: CTX 3030, GPX 4800, X-Terra 705. Whites TDI SL.

2024: Silver 1, Gold 0
    Best finds: 28 silver dime spill, 1800s Dutch customs seal.
    Oldest/best coins: Late 1700's Chinese Cash Coin, 1837 Upper Canada large cent, 1877 Seated Dime
    Oldest Relic find: 1800 Sailors Luck token
    You Tube: Rediscovering America
    Quote: Treasures are like potato chips, you can never have just one!

Super Suggestions!!! Yes your thinking is in line with my thoughts Digger.
    I'm thinking mixed events:
    1) Depth - Which detectorist and machine can hear/see deep targets
    2) Timed speed hunt - Which team/individual can find the most targets in three-minutes
    3) Hidden target Identification (Quarter; Nickel; Dime; Penny; coins mixed with iron, aluminum)
    4)
    5)

Quote Originally Posted by MD4V.org View Post
    Super Suggestions!!! Yes your thinking is in line with my thoughts Digger.
    I'm thinking mixed events:
    1) Depth - Which detectorist and machine can hear/see deep targets
    2) Timed speed hunt - Which team/individual can find the most targets in three-minutes
    3) Hidden target Identification (Quarter; Nickel; Dime; Penny; coins mixed with iron, aluminum)
    4)
    5)
    I was thinking if you go strictly for the target ID as an event, then probably keep all targets at about the same depth, maybe 4-6 inches. As for which targets, I was thinking using something along the lines of these following items, in any order. Doing a depth test/contest is an option as a separate event. I'd live to give that a try with my GPX-4800 and big coil. I used that on the beaches in Florida and at only 50% sensitivity I was digging pennies and sinkers at 4 feet or more.

1) War nickel
    2) IH penny
    3) Zincoln penny
    4) Silver dime
    5) Silver quarter
    6) 2 cent piece
    7) Large beer can
    8) 10K gold ring
    9) Pull tab
    10) 3 cent piece
    11) Horse shoe
    12) Franklin half
    Equipment:
    Minelab: CTX 3030, GPX 4800, X-Terra 705. Whites TDI SL.

2024: Silver 1, Gold 0
    Best finds: 28 silver dime spill, 1800s Dutch customs seal.
    Oldest/best coins: Late 1700's Chinese Cash Coin, 1837 Upper Canada large cent, 1877 Seated Dime
    Oldest Relic find: 1800 Sailors Luck token
    You Tube: Rediscovering America
    Quote: Treasures are like potato chips, you can never have just one!