Thread: New York Earthquake

Oldest Coin: 100-60 BC Gallic bronze coin (Sequani Tribe)
    Oldest Silver Coin: 1156 hammered Pfennig from (now) Bavaria
    Oldest U.S. coin: 1805 Draped Bust Large Cent
    Best Coins EVER: 1625 4 Sols from Kingdom of Chateau Renaud, France
    1662 15 Kreuzers, Leopold I, Austria
    Best Relics: Bronze Age Arrowheads & Spearhead, 2c Roman silver ring, complete medieval knight's spur (x6)
    YouTube Channel: Full Metal Digger

People in California don’t even look up from their phones when they get a 4.8 earthquake.
    Lifetime totals:
    10 Large Cents, 415 Indian Heads, 2 Two Cent Pieces, 1 Capped Bust Half Dime, 1 Seated Half Dime, 10 Shield Nickels, 68 V Nickels, 124 Buffalo Nickels, 31 War Nickels, 16 Seated Dimes, 131 Barber Dimes, 405 Mercury Dimes, 249 Rosies, 4 Seated Quarters, 18 Barber Quarters, 20 Standing Liberty Quarters, 89 Silver Washingtons, 1 Seated Half, 3 Barber Halves, 16 Walking Liberty Halves

YouTube Channel: Tony Two-Cent https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCmz...RlHTBIU42bUORg

My son is visiting from LA this week and us Nutmeggers give him an earthquake, snow stawm, and eclipse
    On Instagram- oxshoedrew

Odd that most people have no clue that NY is built over a fault line, then get all bent out of shape when they experience a little jiggle. Really, there's actually countless major and minor fault lines crossing the country most never would expect. Arkansas for example has the New Madrid fault line being one of the largest in the world. In 1811 they experienced a magnitude 9 quake that caused a large area around the fault to sink 50 feet. I'll attach an article below-it's a great read!

I also remember many years ago when I was about 19 playing pool one weekend afternoon at a pool hall when suddenly I started hearing a nearly imperceptibly low grumbling that started to grow, sort of like an approaching freight train. As it grew the pool balls started to shake on the table and the lights started to sway. Quick as it started, it stopped. Everyone around was silent with that WTH just happened look. It was days later when we finally got confirmation via the local news that it was indeed a very rare (and very minor) earthquake.

I remember reading about the NY fault and how it's been pretty much dormant for so long that if it ever does let go that it could be the end of the entire upper East coast. No idea how true that is, but who knows. The same goes for the Yosemite super volcano being sort of a giant powder keg ready to blow at any time almost instantly vaporizing thousands of square miles around it and darkening the skies for years or even decades.

https://encyclopediaofarkansas.net/e...tt%20counties.
    Last edited by Digger_O'Dell; 04-08-2024 at 05:15 PM.
    Equipment:
    Minelab: CTX 3030, GPX 4800, X-Terra 705. Whites TDI SL.

2024: Silver 1, Gold 0
    Best finds: 28 silver dime spill, 1800s Dutch customs seal.
    Oldest/best coins: Late 1700's Chinese Cash Coin, 1837 Upper Canada large cent, 1877 Seated Dime
    Oldest Relic find: 1800 Sailors Luck token
    You Tube: Rediscovering America
    Quote: Treasures are like potato chips, you can never have just one!

Quote Originally Posted by Digger_O'Dell View Post
    Really, there's actually countless major and minor fault lines crossing the country most never would expect. Arkansas for example has the New Madrid fault line being one of the largest in the world. In 1811 they experienced a magnitude 9 quake that caused a large area around the fault to sink 50 feet.
    We are well aware of the New Madrid fault and the massive quakes of 1811-1812 here in southern Illinois. If such a quake were to occur today it could have a devastating affect on the surrounding area. One never knows if and when it may happen. I definitely felt the 5.4 that occured here in 2008.
    Lifetime totals:
    10 Large Cents, 415 Indian Heads, 2 Two Cent Pieces, 1 Capped Bust Half Dime, 1 Seated Half Dime, 10 Shield Nickels, 68 V Nickels, 124 Buffalo Nickels, 31 War Nickels, 16 Seated Dimes, 131 Barber Dimes, 405 Mercury Dimes, 249 Rosies, 4 Seated Quarters, 18 Barber Quarters, 20 Standing Liberty Quarters, 89 Silver Washingtons, 1 Seated Half, 3 Barber Halves, 16 Walking Liberty Halves

YouTube Channel: Tony Two-Cent https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCmz...RlHTBIU42bUORg

If that New Madrid fault ever slips again, YIKES. That quake was so strong that it made church bells ring as far away as Boston.
    Oldest find: 5,000 year old copper spearhead
    Oldest coin: 1699 William III halfpenny
    Purdiest coin: 1832 Capped Bust quarter
    Coolest find: USA button with blue threads still on shank

"He who would search for pearls must dive below."

I was two-months shy of 13-years old when I went through the 6.7 magnitude earthquake in Canoga Park, California. I had no idea what was happening. Thought the Russians had dropped "The Bomb."