Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Scarey hunt

Scarey hunt

For those of you on the forum who have gone hunting with me, know how easily I get startled when someone walks up to me when I am MDn and in the zone. Usually my startleness comes with a YELP....

Anyways, I was out MDn at a local park, I was on my knees over the hole concentrating on the coin I had found, trying to make it out ( a V nickel). At that time these 2 boys (8 or 9 yo) walked up to me and they startled me , and gave out a yelp when they spoke to me.. In return, I startled them with my Yelp, and they screamed... it was so funny. rofl

I explained to kids I wasn't try to scare them but they startled me as I can't hear with the headphones on.. they laughed, then looked at the V Nickel, and thought it was cool how old it was...
    As they left, they said they wouldn't try to scare me again... LOL , just had to share...
    Equipment: Garrett AT Pro

Elite Member

Re: Scarey hunt

That'll teach them! I need to start yelling when people do that to me...
    2014 Goals: 20 Silver, 5 Large Coppers, 1 Gold Coin (not anticipating being able to detect much this year; NEW BABY HERE!!)
    So Far: (0) Silver; (2) KG, LC 1807; (2) IH; (3) Buff

2013 Total: 36 Silver; 5LC (including 1 FUGIO)
    2012 Total:101 Silver; 11 LC

lol lol

I do remember that time when we detected together at the Connecticut park, and you were startled and yelped when I approached you to show you a find. lol

rofl I'm with you- happens to me with kids too! But I go 'AAAGGGHHH'! Headphones don't help huh?

Speaking of, I've been getting spooked at this vacant house built in 1830's -it's far off the main road and fairly isolated. For the past 3 months or so I keep feeling presence of something right up next to me and give that yell. I feel like something is RIGHT there, but never anything. And I also see movement off here and there. Ends up being a tree branch or squirrel but I get so spooked, not usual for me. I'm pretty skeptical about ghosts and haunted houses but this is getting ridiculous. Anyway kinda on the same topic. When I saw your title I thought about it. lol Not enough to keep me away.
    Oldest silver-- 1838o seated dime (no stars)
    Oldest copper-- 1820 LC

White's V3i, Coinmaster, XLT, Prism IV, Whites new TRX PP- Love it!!! Garretts PP

Hey Scott-----Boo lol I hate not hearing with headphones on, but only keeping one cuff on doesn't let you concentrate on the deep signals. I guess we have to get into the habit of looking around us more often. I wish there was a video of the kids getting scared, that would have been a good one lol So what's the date of the V Nickel??
    Finding relics is in my blood

GPX 5000, CTX 3030, E Trac, Vista Gold

Quote Originally Posted by tanacat View Post
    rofl I'm with you- happens to me with kids too! But I go 'AAAGGGHHH'! Headphones don't help huh?

Speaking of, I've been getting spooked at this vacant house built in 1830's -it's far off the main road and fairly isolated. For the past 3 months or so I keep feeling presence of something right up next to me and give that yell. I feel like something is RIGHT there, but never anything. And I also see movement off here and there. Ends up being a tree branch or squirrel but I get so spooked, not usual for me. I'm pretty skeptical about ghosts and haunted houses but this is getting ridiculous. Anyway kinda on the same topic. When I saw your title I thought about it. lol Not enough to keep me away.
    See, even the ghosts are curious what your digging up... and just hanging out to watch.. rofl

Quote Originally Posted by coinnut View Post
    Hey Scott-----Boo lol I hate not hearing with headphones on, but only keeping one cuff on doesn't let you concentrate on the deep signals. I guess we have to get into the habit of looking around us more often. I wish there was a video of the kids getting scared, that would have been a good one lol So what's the date of the V Nickel??
    I've tried the one cuff off thing.. it just doesn't work for me.. and do try to keep vigilant of my surroundings, but when I get sucked into the Zone, I forget to look around..

As for the V nickel, no date.. its pretty darn zapped.. the only indication I had that it was a V nickel was from the stars along the edge.. and a slight V on the back.. other than that.. corrosion.
    I've found probably 6 or 7 V nickels at this place for the last couple years, only 1 or two was I able to read the dates.. the rest.. Toast

I was hunting the old mansion the other day when I seen out of the corner of my eye what I thought was a cat running directly at me. As it got closer I seen it was a raccoon and it was limping as it ran. I backed up rapidly and prepared to defend myself with my ETRAC. It stopped and hissed at me and then kept running down to the creek. I then resumed hunting but kept looking around thinking maybe it was rabid and was going to come back and bite me. We are definately vulnerable with the headphones on and concentrating on the sounds.
    DFX, 6x10dd, 5.3, stock 950. 120mm pp. E-Trac, Garrett PP

Quote Originally Posted by catskillcomics View Post
    See, even the ghosts are curious what your digging up... and just hanging out to watch.. rofl
    lol you're prob right.. everyone's curious!

Quote Originally Posted by Myownwings View Post
    I was hunting the old mansion the other day when I seen out of the corner of my eye what I thought was a cat running directly at me. As it got closer I seen it was a raccoon and it was limping as it ran. I backed up rapidly and prepared to defend myself with my ETRAC. It stopped and hissed at me and then kept running down to the creek. I then resumed hunting but kept looking around thinking maybe it was rabid and was going to come back and bite me. We are definately vulnerable with the headphones on and concentrating on the sounds.
    That is wild!
    Oldest copper-- 1820 LC

White's V3i, Coinmaster, XLT, Prism IV, Whites new TRX PP- Love it!!! Garretts PP

lol lol lol i can just picture that Scott . my scarey time came at an old park while we were getting a fresh new powdery snow fall and there was about a half inch on the ground so it was real quiet when you walked . i just look around and only my buddy Chris and i were on this park and he was about twoo hundered yards away , just then i get a great coin sounding target at about 4 inches so i crouch down and as i just pop out the coin this huge black mass was in my face and i screamed like a little girl before i realized what it was lol lol it turned out to be a huge very friendly dog (big mastif) that came out of nowhere , well he greeted me for a few seconds and then high tailed it to see my buddy Chris and i had a front row seat did i warn my buddy by giving him a loud shout or trying to wave him to look around no i watched it go down and enjoyed one heck of funny sight as he just crouched down too the dog did the same thing to him ran right up to his face and by this time my earphones were off to hear him squeal and he litterly fell backward onto his back kicking and screaming . lol lol rofl rofl ah i laughed so hard my sides hurt. lol rofl rofl

hey Tana i get that spooky presence feeling every now and then out in the woods and i only detect with one earcup on
    "Honesty is an expensive gift ,
    so don't expect it from cheap people"

XP Deus II , DFX ,TDI sl -

Click here to view my finds album

Elite Member

I had an experience a few weeks ago. I was down in TN (known for black bears) visiting my family, went into the woods behind my mother's house. I was several hunderd yards into the thick woods. I was detecting and saw the bushes shaking, I thought...oh a squirl, but then I saw a large black shadow...my heart started pounding, then it flew out of the bushes at me...I screamed! ...It was my dad's big, overgrown lab, about had an accident on myself.
    2014 Goals: 20 Silver, 5 Large Coppers, 1 Gold Coin (not anticipating being able to detect much this year; NEW BABY HERE!!)
    So Far: (0) Silver; (2) KG, LC 1807; (2) IH; (3) Buff

2013 Total: 36 Silver; 5LC (including 1 FUGIO)
    2012 Total:101 Silver; 11 LC

It's a double-edged sword. I love detecting in the woods and in isolated areas, but you just never know what might happen.

I've told this story before, but my all-time worst scare was when detecting at an abandoned house in the middle of nowhere, crouching down to recover a target and then looking up to see a not-very-nice looking man standing over me with a shotgun. stretcher:
    Minelab E-Trac/Sun Ray X-1 -- Minelab Sovereign GT/Sun Ray S-1 -- White's v3i/Sun Ray DX-1
    Fisher CZ3D -- Tesoro Tiger Shark -- Garrett ACE 250

Quote Originally Posted by Epi-hunter View Post
    It's a double-edged sword. I love detecting in the woods and in isolated areas, but you just never know what might happen.

I've told this story before, but my all-time worst scare was when detecting at an abandoned house in the middle of nowhere, crouching down to recover a target and then looking up to see a not-very-nice looking man standing over me with a shotgun. stretcher:
    So, when the not-so-nice guy showed up with the shotgun, was there the background music from &quoteliverance playing lol

Candidate Member

The worst scare I ever had was when I was metal detecting at a friend house.I was digging up a button and his cat jumped off of the porch and landed right beside me. I jumped back about 2 feet and let out a scream.He said it sounded like his daughter screaming.I told him no it was me ,because of his cat.To this day every time I see him he starts to laugh rofl and asked if I have had anymore cat attacks. lol
    Have a Nice Night and Happy Hunting.
    John
    HAVE A NICE DAY AND GOD BLESS YOU
    HAPPY HUNTING
    JOHN L W BLAIR SR.

So, when the not-so-nice guy showed up with the shotgun, was there the background music from &quoteliverance playing lol
    It was sort of a different not-so-nice kind of look. lol
    Minelab E-Trac/Sun Ray X-1 -- Minelab Sovereign GT/Sun Ray S-1 -- White's v3i/Sun Ray DX-1

Quote Originally Posted by Epi-hunter View Post
    I think I told the story about arrowhead hunting a plowed tobacco field and a man charged up in his pickup with his shotgun pointed at me...

Angie and I were lucky, that both of those crazy men were neighbors of the landowners, making sure we had permission to be on land, which we did. I still need to get some mace- not sure where to buy it! Angie do you carry? Know where to get? It could save us from wild animals too- like wild dogs or rabid raccoons lol
    Oldest copper-- 1820 LC

I would bet Wally World has Mace... Hope you never have to use it..

I would bet Wally World has Mace... Hope you never have to use it..
    Yeah, maybe in camping/hunting area? Thanks
    Oldest copper-- 1820 LC

Quote Originally Posted by tanacat View Post
    I think I told the story about arrowhead hunting a plowed tobacco field and a man charged up in his pickup with his shotgun pointed at me...

Angie and I were lucky, that both of those crazy men were neighbors of the landowners, making sure we had permission to be on land, which we did. I still need to get some mace- not sure where to buy it! Angie do you carry? Know where to get? It could save us from wild animals too- like wild dogs or rabid raccoons lol
    Do I carry? lol You mean mace, right? lol I'm not going to carry a gun; innocent people everywhere would have to fear for their lives

I have mace, but I don't carry it with me 8/ I know, a lot of good it does in my nightstand drawer, but that's where it is. I need to start carrying it when detecting.

Candidate Member

If Walmart does not have it you can go check gun store,pawn shop or a uniform store that has law enforcement items for sell. When I go I carry pepper spray with me and my pistol is in my Jeep.
    John
    HAVE A NICE DAY AND GOD BLESS YOU
    HAPPY HUNTING
    JOHN L W BLAIR SR.