Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Scarey hunt

Re: Scarey hunt

Quote Originally Posted by Epi-hunter View Post
    Do I carry? lol You mean mace, right?
    I chuckled when I wrote that- well, mace can do a lot of damage to a person...
    Oldest silver-- 1838o seated dime (no stars)
    Oldest copper-- 1820 LC

White's V3i, Coinmaster, XLT, Prism IV, Whites new TRX PP- Love it!!! Garretts PP

I hunt the woods a lot and for a long time I hunted alone. I've been pretty lucky that I haven't been face to face with a bear and we have a lot of them up here. Several years ago while hunting an abandoned campground I came across some VERY fresh bear scat. I turned down my threshold to the point I could just hear it just in case. But the nice thing about most bears is they don't want anything to do with you and will try and avoid you. Just don't get between a sow and her cubs. or this could be you. Now I hunt with someone else and there is comfort in that. Now that the wife is my hunting partner I'm gonna get her a can of pepper spray. Just hope she never uses it on me.
    Minelab ETrac,Whites BH-ID, Fisher F2, Vibraprobe PP,Bullseye II PP.

Quote Originally Posted by hoser View Post
    Now I hunt with someone else and there is comfort in that. Now that the wife is my hunting partner I'm gonna get her a can of pepper spray. Just hope she never uses it on me.
    Someone told me a good deterent is a can of wasp spray. One shot in the face and hopefully you can buy the time you need. Plus the 10-15 ft spray distance, doesn't hurt either lol
    Finding relics is in my blood

GPX 5000, CTX 3030, E Trac, Vista Gold

Excellent idea coinnut. Just so happens I have some of this right in the garage. thumbsup01
    Minelab ETrac,Whites BH-ID, Fisher F2, Vibraprobe PP,Bullseye II PP.

Elite Member

You need a permit for mace in Mass!!!! Yeah, just try to carry a gun in this state, sorry we are not a state we are a commonwealth, I've asked every attorney I know what the difference is and no one seems to know.
    2014 Goals: 20 Silver, 5 Large Coppers, 1 Gold Coin (not anticipating being able to detect much this year; NEW BABY HERE!!)
    So Far: (0) Silver; (2) KG, LC 1807; (2) IH; (3) Buff

2013 Total: 36 Silver; 5LC (including 1 FUGIO)
    2012 Total:101 Silver; 11 LC

Quote Originally Posted by RobW View Post
    sorry we are not a state we are a commonwealth, I've asked every attorney I know what the difference is and no one seems to know.
    Rob, The difference is that we are a commonwealth......that means the state has all the wealth and we are all common rofl Mass is extremely strict in just about everything you can do

You need a permit for mace in Mass!!!! Yeah, just try to carry a gun in this state, sorry we are not a state we are a commonwealth, I've asked every attorney I know what the difference is and no one seems to know.
    That's brilliant. 8/ You need a permit to defend yourself in a non-lethal and non-permanently disabling way against an attacker?
    Minelab E-Trac/Sun Ray X-1 -- Minelab Sovereign GT/Sun Ray S-1 -- White's v3i/Sun Ray DX-1
    Fisher CZ3D -- Tesoro Tiger Shark -- Garrett ACE 250

Quote Originally Posted by Epi-hunter View Post
    That's brilliant. 8/ You need a permit to defend yourself in a non-lethal and non-permanently disabling way against an attacker?
    yes Angie , and then your more than likely to be sued by the attacker in a civil suit. yes Mass. is a great place
    "Honesty is an expensive gift ,
    so don't expect it from cheap people"

XP Deus II , DFX ,TDI sl -

Click here to view my finds album

Candidate Member

I guess you could carry wasp spray in mass then.I have been sprayed with pepper spray when I was a Security officer so I could carry it. I have also been sprayed with wasp spray it hurts just as bad. I was spraying a wasp nest and a gust of wind came up and it blew back in my face.
    HAVE A NICE DAY AND GOD BLESS YOU
    HAPPY HUNTING
    JOHN L W BLAIR SR.

Del. Remember the time we were hunting and it started to rain and lightning was striking all around? That was a little scary carrying a metal detector and running back to the truck. I now do the one headphone on and one a little off, especially in the woods.
    " What doesn't kill you makes you stronger"

Elite Member

Quote Originally Posted by del View Post
    yes Angie , and then your more than likely to be sued by the attacker in a civil suit. yes Mass. is a great place
    Yeah, I miss living in TN where you can just walk into a Wal-Mart and buy a shotgun right off the shelf. It's only the lawbiding citizens that are getting screwed here. A criminal will just buy it off the street, the heck with permitting. There are cases all the time of people defending themselves and their homes and being sued by the person breaking in. I read about one where the burgerler fell through the skylight onto a knife on the kitchen counter, sued and won!
    2014 Goals: 20 Silver, 5 Large Coppers, 1 Gold Coin (not anticipating being able to detect much this year; NEW BABY HERE!!)
    So Far: (0) Silver; (2) KG, LC 1807; (2) IH; (3) Buff

2013 Total: 36 Silver; 5LC (including 1 FUGIO)
    2012 Total:101 Silver; 11 LC

Was hunting a very, very old picnic grove in NJ, and it was way off the main road. Was quiet, peaceful and one of my favorite sites....probably found well over 100 coins from the late 1800's. Anyway I was digging a target, and suddenly a deer hunter, who was in a tree stand right above me, jumped down in front of me. To this day I can remember the shock, the fright and how far I threw my detector.

Wound up being the landowner's son, who lived quite a few miles away. He laughed his a$$ off, and I peed my pants. True story....
    You can never have too many pugs....

rofl rofl rofl

Great stuff folks!!!

Coming from the cheap headphones on my Ace 250 to a better set with my Minelab... I can definitely relate to your stories. With my Ace headphones, I could hear plenty of ambient noise... not too much with my new ones.

I try to make a habit of continually scanning the area when I detect, but once I get locked into that zone the world disappears.

I've let out more than one school girl scream when startled. lol I guess I need to invest in a proximity detector.

I can't imagine hunting in bear and mountain lion territory... don't know how you folks do it.

Yeah, I miss living in TN where you can just walk into a Wal-Mart and buy a shotgun right off the shelf. It's only the lawbiding citizens that are getting screwed here. A criminal will just buy it off the street, the heck with permitting. There are cases all the time of people defending themselves and their homes and being sued by the person breaking in. I read about one where the burgerler fell through the skylight onto a knife on the kitchen counter, sued and won!
    Yeh Rob, Im with you.. you break in my house, you're finished. But let's remember the Speedy punishment of Karma.. IE, last year in Miami, FL, a guy robbed a store, the cops were chasing the robber. The Robber decided hiding in a pond would be a great place till the alligator snatched him up for a late night snack. LOL

But Arizona was like that once upon a time where criminals would sue their victims when injured.. finally someone got the smarts (sheriff Joe Aparo) and got a law passed that ciminals couldn't sue victims if hurt during criminal activities.
    Equipment: Garrett AT Pro

Quote Originally Posted by catskillcomics View Post

But Arizona was like that once upon a time where criminals would sue their victims when injured.. finally someone got the smarts (sheriff Joe Aparo) and got a law passed that ciminals couldn't sue victims if hurt during criminal activities.
    It amazes me that we even needed a law for what was once common sense lol One of these days we may need a law that says we can even pass laws rofl

last year in Miami, FL, a guy robbed a store, the cops were chasing the robber. The Robber decided hiding in a pond would be a great place till the alligator snatched him up for a late night snack. LOL

And to the alligator I say &quoton appetit lol

Reminds of some cop photos I saw one time. One was a bad guy, running from the cops, decided to jump off an bridge. I guess he didn't see the wrought-iron fence below. Self decapitation with the head stuck on the fence like a pike.

Wish they all got what they deserved!
    Minelab E-Trac, Sunray X-1 probe
    White's SM2
    White's SM PI pro

Check out my treasure hunting videos at http://www.youtube.com/user/TheSilverFiend

http://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Si...03270629825473

http://www.thesilverfiend.com

last year in Miami, FL, a guy robbed a store, the cops were chasing the robber. The Robber decided hiding in a pond would be a great place till the alligator snatched him up for a late night snack. LOL
    well i think florida ought to adopt the alligator for their new crime fighting mascot because he really does take a bite out of crime lol rofl rofl

when i was very youg growing up in Arizona , it was a place without alot of crime for a few reasons . for one it was perfectly legal for a law abiding resident to carry a gun out in the open on your person but you had to have a permit to conceal it . our state freely enforced and used the death penalty and use to rule in victim's rights over criminal's . i think sherrif Arpaio is from that old school of thinking when common sense made more sense than politics . i'd like to see him run and win the govenor of Az.
    "Honesty is an expensive gift ,
    so don't expect it from cheap people"

XP Deus II , DFX ,TDI sl -

Click here to view my finds album

Hey I live here in E Tenn you don't go by yourself here to many drugs going on I live on top of a mountain love it here but I take my little buddy with me it 32'' long and got two trigger we got a lot of copper head here to try to let them along but some time you can't five the year in the yard ooo buck do it thing got stop last year by two boy getting to close to there lab at old house place saw that I was carry we all trun and walk back the way we came father-law found what was left of there lab three day later so watch your self out there GOOD LUCK AND GOOD HUNTING
    TDI Pro MXT Pro Mxt V3i 4x6 6x10 9 1/2 10" 12 super 9x14 12"DF 7.5 DF dx-1 garrett pro pointer