Thread: Meteorite ?

Meteorite ?

I found this hot rock last night . It's very heavy and magnetic but it doesn't look like any of the few pictures of meteorites I have seen . Anybody out there know if this is a meteorite ? It is definitely not a petrified turd that fell out of an airliner ( yes those are said to exist ).
    Attached Images Attached Images      

Re: Meteorite ?

Since moving from Los Gatos, I've done a lot of meteorite hunting (and a little finding) in Arizona. Here is a link with some tests that you can do yourself...the most important being the nickel test.

http://meteorite-identification.com/streak.html

Nickel test kits are cheap and obtainable on the web or at a good pharmacy. Be sure to grind a small, flat spot to ensure that you test the inside and not the shell.
    I've traveled a long way, and many of the roads weren't paved.

Thanks Lowjiber , that is quite a nice link thumbsup01. I'll bet you found some great old stuff in Los Gatos . My dad used to hunt mushrooms on Mt. St. Charlie's Rd . The last time in his life he went up there ( I drove ) someone had built a home right over his best hunting patch , we were really disappointed (sounds a bit like metal detecting at times doesn't it ? ) .

If you're really interested in what's happening in the goofy world of meteorite hunting, you need to get yourself on the Meteorite List. It's a daily email of all kinds of articles and other stuff associated with meteorite hunting world-wide. It's free and very informative.

Go here to sign up: http://six.pairlist.net/mailman/listinfo/meteorite-list
    I've traveled a long way, and many of the roads weren't paved.

I don't know if that is a meteroite or not, but it may well be. Some iron based rocks are magnetic, so that doesn't determine it, but it helps If you get a test kit, let us know if Nickel turns up. Have you ever found a meteorite Baba??
    Finding relics is in my blood

GPX 5000, CTX 3030, E Trac, Vista Gold

Thats cool!! What state do you live in?

There must be a science center where a geologist can confirm it and authenticate it. I've seen detectorists in Kansas find ones 50 lbs. and bigger worth 5 -6 figures. That size would be a nice conversation piece for sure.
    Great find

The worst case senario is they say it is just iron ore which kinda looks like what you have, No?
    " What doesn't kill you makes you stronger"

Quote Originally Posted by coinnut View Post
    I don't know if that is a meteroite or not, but it may well be. Some iron based rocks are magnetic, so that doesn't determine it, but it helps If you get a test kit, let us know if Nickel turns up. Have you ever found a meteorite Baba??
    I have another rock around the house here somewhere that may be a meteorite but I haven't as yet found a proven , tested meteorite . Mine don't look at all like the few I have seen pictured .

Quote Originally Posted by sjv View Post
    Thats cool!! What state do you live in?

There must be a science center where a geologist can confirm it and authenticate it. I've seen detectorists in Kansas find ones 50 lbs. and bigger worth 5 -6 figures. That size would be a nice conversation piece for sure.
    Great find

The worst case senario is they say it is just iron ore which kinda looks like what you have, No?
    California . I think it's a cool looking rock myself and I really don't want to break it to see if it is a meteorite . I don't have the foggiest notion what kind of rock it could be but I've never seen one that looked like that around here before .

Better than finding just a old rock
    Today is my day