Thread: 13 x face for silver?

13 x face for silver?

A friend, who has a nice side gig trading coins for some 30 years, said he was sending in some silver coins for melt value. He offered me 13 x face.....WDYT? Worth it? I could always use the cash to purchase a nicer coin or an upgrade. The thing is the silver pieces are kind of like trophies to me.

And now the metal detectorist pledge.
    "I pledge to do my honor, to do my best AND seriously investigate ALL deep signals!"

Minelab SE (Is there really any other manufacturer?) 2011 totals = 24 silver coins, 3 LC,1 war of 1812 artillary button , 1 token, 6 IH pennies, 1 2 cent piece

Re: 13 x face for silver?

Perhaps the really badly worn silvers...but once they are gone they are gone forever. I figure I'll hold onto my mercs until they are going for $5.00 each...lol.
    DFX, 6x10dd, 5.3, stock 950. 120mm pp. E-Trac, Garrett PP

Elite Member

I think it all depends on the coins...at 13X face, a very worn common date roosevelt would be $1.30...that's too much, if it was a barber, then maybe...it just depends....
    2014 Goals: 20 Silver, 5 Large Coppers, 1 Gold Coin (not anticipating being able to detect much this year; NEW BABY HERE!!)
    So Far: (0) Silver; (2) KG, LC 1807; (2) IH; (3) Buff

2013 Total: 36 Silver; 5LC (including 1 FUGIO)
    2012 Total:101 Silver; 11 LC

Call around and see what is being offered for coin silver (90%). They will tell you that over the phone. They always drop the rate to make up for the worn ones. They never lose out on the deal. Personally for me, I can't part with any of them. I would look for some stuff in the house to sell. I've been selling stuff on E Bay and it gets me new stuff in return. I may have to chip in some clad money, but I get new stuff
    Finding relics is in my blood

GPX 5000, CTX 3030, E Trac, Vista Gold

The actual value of a silver coin today is 16.5 times face value. Bookmark this link, where you can check melt values every day:

http://www.coinflation.com/silver_coin_values.html

---Dan, http://thetreasurecorner.com