Thread: Weekend Silver Strike Out

Weekend Silver Strike Out

Lots of digging this weekend... I got out Friday evening and hit a favorite spot, happy to just be outside and digging clad. I managed 64 coins in the few hours I had before dark. I sure do love the cool fall weather but those early sunsets are rough.

Saturday I was intent on digging some silver, so I headed a few towns over to a nice field where I had dug a mess of wheats, two buffalos, a V nickel, and a 1926 chauffeur’s license in earlier hunts this year. I dug for several hours, but silver was not to be had. I wound up with 75 coins which included 5 wheats and a 1926 buffalo nickel. The nickel is a nice find for me but I really wanted to find something shiny. I was so intent on silver that I had to give it another try in the afternoon, this time at a spot that had given up 8 silver coins over the past few weekends. This time I dug 31 coins which included 8 more wheats but still no silver! This was pretty frustrating.

I figured if I gave it one more go this morning I had a good chance at finally getting silver but it was not to be... I returned to the same spot that gave up the 8 wheats but wound up with only another 25 clad coins and a non-sterling Miraculous Medal.

Total for the weekend was 195 coins worth $16.95. Silver would have been nice but digging is fun none the less. Time now for some football and a nice Sunday dinner with the family, which besides being great in its own right is probably for the best because the Mrs seems to be getting a little sick of the time I spend detecting!

happy hunting!
    Attached Images Attached Images      
    Minelab E-Trac - Minelab Sovereign GT - Bounty Hunter Tracker IV - Tesoro Compadre
    Oldest find - 1804 Draped Bust Half Cent

Re: Weekend Silver Strike Out

Are you sure you are not discriminating silver?? You worked very hard those days and from the looks of the wheats, there should be some silver there. Maybe it's all been found. Did you dig any iffy readings at depth. I think I remember Angel saying any signal that is deep (over 6?) and reads even a little, should be investigated. Those silvers may be just out of range with your present settings. But this weather is great and most of the bugs are gone But the sun sets too early.
    Finding relics is in my blood

GPX 5000, CTX 3030, E Trac, Vista Gold

Elite Member

Apparently, Angel has already been there!!! lol

Nice hunting...good deal of wheats and a buff.

I know what you mean about the Mrs....mine feels the same way too...weekend widow
    2014 Goals: 20 Silver, 5 Large Coppers, 1 Gold Coin (not anticipating being able to detect much this year; NEW BABY HERE!!)
    So Far: (0) Silver; (2) KG, LC 1807; (2) IH; (3) Buff

2013 Total: 36 Silver; 5LC (including 1 FUGIO)
    2012 Total:101 Silver; 11 LC

Lots of digging It looks like there should be some silver there, but who knows. Maybe you have already found all the silver there is to find at that site
    Minelab E-Trac/Sun Ray X-1 -- Minelab Sovereign GT/Sun Ray S-1 -- White's v3i/Sun Ray DX-1
    Fisher CZ3D -- Tesoro Tiger Shark -- Garrett ACE 250