Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Silver And Large Cent

Silver And Large Cent

A return trip to the park to pick up from where I had left off gridding yesterday yielded me four more silver coins, three mercury dimes and one Rosie. I also dug up a 1829 large cent. I was happy to see that it was in fairly good condition, even with the environmental damage .

The large cent was not far from where I dug up the 1917 mercury dime. After digging about nine inches of soil I used the probe to help me determine the location of the target as I did not want to clip it with my digger. The Fe/Co numbers were hitting much like a silver quarter would. I scooped several more inches of soil expecting (hoping for) a Barber quarter or a Standing Liberty quarter. Then I saw the large cent, which was a very nice surprise too. Up to now all the large cents I have picked up with the E-Trac have hit with a Co no higher than 46. This one was hitting a solid 47 while using the probe.

Here is one silver coin still encased in soil.

It turned out to be a 1917 mercury dime.

Four more silver dimes added to my collection.

HH!

Re: Silver And Large Cent

Man I want to go to your park but I probably still wouldn't find any silver Congrats Angel great finds.

Nice hunt Angel. Them silvers keep coming at you! You might make 400 yet Nice surprise on the large cent, it should clean up fairly well. Most every large cent I have found, read 12-46, thicker ones have read 10-46 and some George II, III's have read 12-44 or 45. Never found one that read 12-47 yet. All I find that read that number is ox knobs

Quote Originally Posted by coinnut View Post
    Nice hunt Angel. Them silvers keep coming at you! You might make 400 yet Nice surprise on the large cent, it should clean up fairly well. Most every large cent I have found, read 12-46, thicker ones have read 10-46 and some George II, III's have read 12-44 or 45. Never found one that read 12-47 yet. All I find that read that number is ox knobs
    If I make 400 someone better have a video recorder, because I will be doing the Macarena, Samba, and merengue all at once.

On the large cent, that's why I thought the target was likely going to be a silver quarter. It's the first one I have come across to have hit that high. I'm glad it wasn't an ox knob though.

When putting the probe into the dug hole you tend to get a more accurate Fe-Co reading because you are closer to the target. And if the coin is more worn, the Co numbers tend to be a bit lower than expected in my experience, correct? This LC is in better condition than most LC's found in the northeast that I have seen (although fairly bad condition compared to how they come out of the ground in the Midwest )

I have only found one LC with the E-trac, but it read Co 46-47 before I dug, and closer to 47 with the probe in the hole. It was about six inches. I thought at the time that it was a silver quarter.

Nice finds Angel. Yet again

Minelab E-Trac/Sun Ray X-1 -- Minelab Sovereign GT/Sun Ray S-1 -- White's v3i/Sun Ray DX-1
    Fisher CZ3D -- Tesoro Tiger Shark -- Garrett ACE 250

OK, sorry for the side-track, but what the heck is an ox-knob?
    Minelab E-Trac, Sunray X-1 probe
    White's SM2
    White's SM PI pro

Check out my treasure hunting videos at http://www.youtube.com/user/TheSilverFiend

http://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Si...03270629825473

http://www.thesilverfiend.com

Holy cow.. a few more silver coins and you can do this
    Equipment: Garrett AT Pro

Quote Originally Posted by Jason in Enid View Post
    I'm not sure, but I think coinnut had posted a photo of one recently.

Quote Originally Posted by catskillcomics View Post
    Holy cow.. a few more silver coins and you can do this

Congratulations on finding even more silver in that mine of your's! Good luck on that 400 number.

now thats my kind of day Angel some silvers and a large copper cent , keep it up and you'll beat Coinnut to 40 coppers before him

as for oxknobs he is the king of finding them and probably has a name for each and every one he has now

Even Plataville doesn't have that much silver.
    [move]White’s MXT Minelab E-Trac Oldest coin: 1875 Indian Head Cent Oldest Silver Coin: 1886 Seated Liberty Dime[/move]

Quote Originally Posted by del View Post
    now thats my kind of day Angel some silvers and a large copper cent , keep it up and you'll beat Coinnut to 40 coppers before him

as for oxknobs he is the king of finding them and probably has a name for each and every one he has now
    Are you kidding? I'm still at the starting line doing my shoelaces. I think I have only 13 coppers this year, but I'm happy with that, even if all I'm seeing is dust before me.

Quote Originally Posted by OkieDigger View Post
    Even Plataville doesn't have that much silver.
    I'll tell you Dale, one of the things I love about the E-Trac is being able to work the trashy sites most others tend to avoid. I have been doing so with every park I have hit this year, 34 or so, and with the exception of perhaps four or five, they all have yielded at least one silver coin.

OK since Del is too busy making his ox knobs into earings and necklaces (he likes to wear them out detecting) , I will show you what an ox knob looks like. They are used to put on the cut horns of the ox. I guess oxen can get pretty fiesty and hurt you and each other, so they make these guards for the horns. They ring out between a quarter and half dollar. They are usually deep and are always good for a swear word or two They are the pull tabs of colonial hunting!!!
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Way to pull some more silver from that park Angel! Seems to be a never ending supply of silver there! The LC definatley would have made my day though!

Candidate Member

Sweet! I think those large cents are so cool. Nice digs all the way around.
    Minelab E-Trac, Fisher F4

Quote Originally Posted by angellionel View Post
    If I make 400 someone better have a video recorder, because I will be doing the Macarena, Samba, and merengue all at once.
    OK, everybody get your cameras ready, cuz he just might make it!!
    SeabeeRon on the beach in Santa Cruz,CA.

Quote Originally Posted by SeabeeRon View Post
    OK, everybody get your cameras ready, cuz he just might make it!!

I'll make sure to wear a clown outfit too.

Quote Originally Posted by angellionel View Post

I'll make sure to wear a clown outfit too.
    Nah, just put on the 70's detecting wear in that pic that has made the rounds!!

Quote Originally Posted by SeabeeRon View Post
    Nah, just put on the 70's detecting wear in that pic that has made the rounds!!
    Even better!

Here's a few more different styles, J:
    (pesky buggers, with thier silver-soundin' signals, they are)
    Attached Images Attached Images