Thread: 1920 Walker

1920 Walker

This weekend I was going to check out two parks I had recently been looking into, but today I decided to scout them out after it stopped raining. I worked them for a while, but both parks were surprisingly devoid of targets, hardly any trash and no clad coins. I did manage a few finds though, including four wheat cents, two Indian Head cents, and one lone silver, a 1920 Walking Liberty half.

The walker wasn't deep, at most four to almost five inches, and it did not yield Fe/Co numbers corresponding to that of a half dollar. It turned out that there was another target a few inches under the half, a round metal piece having a rusted end. The Fe/Co numbers on the metal piece were a steady 14-46.

The Indian Head cents are dated 1899 and 1902.

HH!

Veteran Member

Re: 1920 Walker

great find, i had that happen with my se last year , got a big nail sound and numbers , with and occasional good signal, i dug it , it was a huge old spike, 16 penny or better and bent into an L -shape , but below was a walker , a silver quarter , 2 silver dimes and a buffalo nickle , the nail was i guess about 5 inches down and the spill was directly under it maybe another 3 -4 inches , i was blown away . my best ever spill. Great find angel, only one though . good hunting
    Minelab E-Track ,Minelab SE, with stock coil, 10/12 sef coil , sunray 8 inch coil

silver count: 2011, 117 silvers , 20 indian heads

I bet the Walker made you smile Not gonna be silver skunked thumbsup01 Them parks over there are tough huh? You will find a spot that is trashy and get the goods I bet
    Finding relics is in my blood

GPX 5000, CTX 3030, E Trac, Vista Gold

Veteran Member

Nice one Angel thumbsup01 I'm curious what it read before you dug the half? I had one on Tuesday -- no threshold anywhere, then a 12-42, which turned out to be a merc at 1 inch. The merc air tested at the normal 12-45 12-46. So, that's why I'm curious about this big junk target under the good target thing. It definitely has an effect -- I'm just trying to quantify it (and sorry for hijacking your thread with a technical question -- I hope you don't mind )
    Oldest: 1755 Spanish silver; 1800 half dime | 1842 seated half | 1857 seated quarter | 516 silver coins in 2011!

Quote Originally Posted by dave in iowa View Post
    great find, i had that happen with my se last year , got a big nail sound and numbers , with and occasional good signal, i dug it , it was a huge old spike, 16 penny or better and bent into an L -shape , but below was a walker , a silver quarter , 2 silver dimes and a buffalo nickle , the nail was i guess about 5 inches down and the spill was directly under it maybe another 3 -4 inches , i was blown away . my best ever spill. Great find angel, only one though . good hunting
    Now that must have had you smiling all day! lol I love those kinds of spills.

Quote Originally Posted by coinnut View Post
    I bet the Walker made you smile Not gonna be silver skunked thumbsup01 Them parks over there are tough huh? You will find a spot that is trashy and get the goods I bet
    Man, did it ever! lol I was thinking that I was finally going to get skunked, but the Walker saved the day. I did try to find the trashy locations at those parks, but there were none. There are other parks in the area I have to look at, so maybe I will come away with something good.

Quote Originally Posted by randy View Post
    Nice one Angel thumbsup01 I'm curious what it read before you dug the half? I had one on Tuesday -- no threshold anywhere, then a 12-42, which turned out to be a merc at 1 inch. The merc air tested at the normal 12-45 12-46. So, that's why I'm curious about this big junk target under the good target thing. It definitely has an effect -- I'm just trying to quantify it (and sorry for hijacking your thread with a technical question -- I hope you don't mind )
    The Fe and Co reading was mostly 11-47. Since it was a shallow target I decided it was a clad quarter, though the numbers and tone were that of silver. Was I ever surprised to see that large shiny disk. lol It isn't the first time such has happened, though on the other occasions the good targets were deeper than six inches.

Quote Originally Posted by angellionel View Post
    The Fe and Co reading was mostly 11-47. Since it was a shallow target I decided it was a clad quarter, though the numbers and tone were that of silver. Was I ever surprised to see that large shiny disk. lol It isn't the first time such has happened, though on the other occasions the good targets were deeper than six inches.
    How big was the interfering iron/junk piece?
    Minelab E-Trac/Sun Ray X-1 -- Minelab Sovereign GT/Sun Ray S-1 -- White's v3i/Sun Ray DX-1
    Fisher CZ3D -- Tesoro Tiger Shark -- Garrett ACE 250

Quote Originally Posted by Epi-hunter View Post
    How big was the interfering iron/junk piece?
    The piece of junk is almost the width of a half dollar.

Veteran Member

Nice Walker! Those are such pretty coins.

Very nice, early date! Is there a mintmark underneath that mud?
    From The Pacific Northwest to Orange County...
    White's XLT, Ace 250 - 2010 YTD $4.28

x marks the spot on that indian lol how many walkers you gonna find this year? willy

Quote Originally Posted by Stang1968 View Post
    Very nice, early date! Is there a mintmark underneath that mud?
    No, there is no mintmark. A 'D' would have been nice.

Quote Originally Posted by wild willy View Post
    x marks the spot on that indian lol how many walkers you gonna find this year? willy
    It does. lol

I think I have exceeded my Walking Liberty half limit. So far this year I have found 26 - 12 at parks with the E-Trac and 14 with the Excalibur while shallow water detecting.

Love the WLH!!

Just think about how many detectorist have let that one go.

Was it the sound that made you go after it? I always thought, until recently, that the tone and the FE/CO numbers were tied together. Lately I have noticed that the sound might be independently generated from the numbers.... meaning, a target may sound a lot better than the numbers are suggesting. Is this true or just my imagination?

Anyway, great recoveries for the day and super job at interpreting the WLH target correctly. Congrats.

So far this year I have found 26 - 12 at parks with the E-Trac and 14 with the Excalibur while shallow water detecting.
    .... perhaps the E-Trac is a little jealous and wants to catch up. lol

I cant imagine not digging any 1147 thats just me!!!!!

1147silver steve thumbsup01

Quote Originally Posted by jkress View Post
    Love the WLH!!

Just think about how many detectorist have let that one go.

Was it the sound that made you go after it? I always thought, until recently, that the tone and the FE/CO numbers were tied together. Lately I have noticed that the sound might be independently generated from the numbers.... meaning, a target may sound a lot better than the numbers are suggesting. Is this true or just my imagination?

Anyway, great recoveries for the day and super job at interpreting the WLH target correctly. Congrats.

.... perhaps the E-Trac is a little jealous and wants to catch up. lol
    Deep targets or worn coins may yield Co numbers that do not correlate to the tone being heard. I have found plenty of Barber dimes and a good number of seated dimes where the Co numbers were as low as 42 but where the tone was clearly that of a silver target. On several of the dimes this was still the case even after they had been retrieved.

The tone on the Walker was good enough to get my attention for a shallow target, though the Fe/Co numbers were more like that of a clad to silver quarter. Despite being a shallow target I dug it since I normally dig clad quarters anyway, though I had for a second or two thought of passing this particular target up.

Deep targets or worn coins may yield Co numbers that do not correlate to the tone being heard. I have found plenty of Barber dimes and a good number of seated dimes where the Co numbers were as low as 42 but where the tone was clearly that of a silver target. On several of the dimes this was still the case even after they had been retrieved.

The tone on the Walker was good enough to get my attention for a shallow target, though the Fe/Co numbers were more like that of a clad to silver quarter. Despite being a shallow target I dug it since I normally dig clad quarters anyway, though I had for a second or two thought of passing this particular target up.
    Thanks for the info Angel. Several times I have had a target sound like silver, but the cursor placement was definitely off from the tone being produced... but the target turned out to be silver or a clad dime or quarter. I guess I always assumed the tone produced is the direct result of the FE/CO properties.

....I'm still learning.

Elite Member

Sweet find Angel. I always look to your insight in working with the E-Trac and your posts are always full of great tips.....and inspiration!
    2014 Goals: 20 Silver, 5 Large Coppers, 1 Gold Coin (not anticipating being able to detect much this year; NEW BABY HERE!!)
    So Far: (0) Silver; (2) KG, LC 1807; (2) IH; (3) Buff

2013 Total: 36 Silver; 5LC (including 1 FUGIO)
    2012 Total:101 Silver; 11 LC

Quote Originally Posted by RobW View Post
    Sweet find Angel. I always look to your insight in working with the E-Trac and your posts are always full of great tips.....and inspiration!
    Thank you for the kind words, Rob.