Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Unexpected hunt

Unexpected hunt

Was just expecting to go over a friends house and tag some targets with the E Trac to see if we could get his DFX to respond better to iron mixed targets. But it turns out another friend wanted to see how we were doing and also offered to let me detect a couple of 1700's houses I promply said NO rofl Yeah right lol So after a couple of quick comparisons, we scooted over to the first house and it was a real nice colonial. Of course they were hit before, especially with that date on the door But the ground was perfect and there were some targets left in the front yard. Got me the 1900 Barber dime right off the bat at about 7 Yes Angel, even a blind squirrel gets a few nuts lol So I figured there may be hope. Nothing for a while and then a pulltab / shot gun kinda reading at 4 I dig it all at old sites, so I was really surprised to get a first year Fattie Indian (1859) Soon after an identical target and out comes an 1858 Flying Eagle Right after that another 1858 Flying Eagle Ahhh heaven 61 degrees out and an owner of a house that says, that's great and let's me continue. <: Got a bunch of early wheats, some memorials and other stuff and finally in the trashy back of the house I got a 1746 George II Half Penny at 4 The other house wasn't much to show, but a couple of Wheats and a thimble, but I didn't stay there too long even though the date was around the early 1700's. I don't understand how the two houses could be so different. It was like night and day between them. EMI, trash and ground makeup were complete opposites and the houses were only about 100 feet apart I left the square nails in the picture because each one of them should have been silver rofl The crooked ones get me every time I can't thank Bob enough for letting me detect those two places and Mike for detecting his house. It was a very unexpected day. I can finally move that copper count and silver count up lol
    Attached Images Attached Images      
    Finding relics is in my blood

GPX 5000, CTX 3030, E Trac, Vista Gold

Re: Unexpected hunt

some beauty coins there George , the barber is a real looker and the KGII cleaned up real nice ( tell Beth i said great job lol ) how Bob doing , did he detect at all and after your display at the house when is he getting an e-trac lol lol some nice relics ( is that part of a spur i see??) congrats /
    "Honesty is an expensive gift ,
    so don't expect it from cheap people"

XP Deus II , DFX ,TDI sl -

Click here to view my finds album

Quote Originally Posted by del View Post
    some beauty coins there George , the barber is a real looker and the KGII cleaned up real nice ( tell Beth i said great job lol ) how Bob doing , did he detect at all and after your display at the house when is he getting an e-trac lol lol some nice relics ( is that part of a spur i see??) congrats /
    Thanks, I'll let Beth know you like her work lol Bob didn't detect at all. He just wanted to let me detect Was I dreaming or is this my last meal lol I don't think he is gonna lose the XLT anytime soon, but it was an interesting display There was a lot of nails in the front and a bit more of them with big trash metal out back. The spur must be a musket rest rofl Well maybe not

... <:

What a nice surprise for the day. Perhaps karma for attempting to help your buddy out?

Had a good karma day myself. The 1904 World's Fair badge I dug yesterday I really wanted for my collection... but the owner is really into the history of the house. He even asked if I would empty my junk pouch in a five gallon bucket he put out for me... so he can sift through it. I've given him a few of the silvers and an IH from the yard, but it was really hard for me to give up the medal.

Last night it came down to me realizing that he will probably appreciate it more than I would, plus I have to respect that fact that he is letting a complete stranger dig holes in his yard. Like I said, it was a hard parting, but I dropped it off to him this morning right before I headed to the spot I planned to detect this morning.... the result was my best silver day yet. Maybe karma, maybe coincidence.

Anyway, getting back to your dream finds... two flying eagles, a baber, a fatty and a half penny You are the MAN.

Quote Originally Posted by coinnut View Post
    I don't understand how the two houses could be so different. It was like night and day between them.
    I have scratched my head almost raw in spots pondering the same thing.

Quote Originally Posted by jkress View Post
    :Had a good karma day myself. The 1904 World's Fair badge I dug yesterday I really wanted for my collection... but the owner is really into the history of the house. He even asked if I would empty my junk pouch in a five gallon bucket he put out for me... so he can sift through it. I've given him a few of the silvers and an IH from the yard, but it was really hard for me to give up the medal.

Last night it came down to me realizing that he will probably appreciate it more than I would, plus I have to respect that fact that he is letting a complete stranger dig holes in his yard. Like I said, it was a hard parting, but I dropped it off to him this morning right before I headed to the spot I planned to detect this morning.... the result was my best silver day yet. Maybe karma, maybe coincidence.
    Too bad about giving up everything good you found, but it happens sometimes. I just wish they would appreciate your hard work too Maybe at least an offer of something to you, even if you decline, but hey, I believe it all comes around to you some other time. You got rewarded rather quickly. Congrats on your good hunt too thumbsup01

GEORGE!!!!!!! Awesome digs my friend <: 2 flying eagles in 1 hunt is sweet! Great coins
    Having fun is what it is all about!

Very nice George. The KG is in great shape and the flying eagle....i am speechless.....great work!
    And now the metal detectorist pledge.
    "I pledge to do my honor, to do my best AND seriously investigate ALL deep signals!"

Minelab SE (Is there really any other manufacturer?) 2011 totals = 24 silver coins, 3 LC,1 war of 1812 artillary button , 1 token, 6 IH pennies, 1 2 cent piece

Nice finds. Old houses seem to yield old stuff, but commonly lots of trash.
    For the DFX high trash/iron - turn the sweep speed down, recovery speed up, and filter probably at 1 or 2. Signals on deep targets mixed with trash will usually be a single narrow beep with short nulling if iron next to target. Rely on sound and depth not VDI to determine when to dig.
    Metal Detector, Inline Pinpointer, 6th Sense

Great finds! You never know when opportunity is going to knock like that.

I know what your mean about 2 houses being so different. I've seen that myself, albeit with mush newer (c. 1900) houses. One has beautiful loam, and great finds. The house next door has crappy ground that destroys what few coins it holds.
    Minelab E-Trac, Sunray X-1 probe
    White's SM2
    White's SM PI pro

Check out my treasure hunting videos at http://www.youtube.com/user/TheSilverFiend

http://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Si...03270629825473

http://www.thesilverfiend.com

wow, dueling eagles and a handsome KGII.......awesome!

Veteran Member

Sweet digs <: Those FE's and that copper are in unbelievable shape
    Oldest: 1755 Spanish silver; 1800 half dime | 1842 seated half | 1857 seated quarter | 516 silver coins in 2011!

Quote Originally Posted by randy View Post
    Sweet digs <: Those FE's and that copper are in unbelievable shape
    Um.... that copper was not very readable at all after I cleaned it. :-\ So I had to take it to the scuff pad lol Works wonders. thumbsup01

Awesome hunt, don't know that I have ever seen two flying eagles dug in the same hunt before, WTG!
    Minelab Equinox 600 & Whites Coinmaster, Garrett Propointer, Lesche Digger
    Oldest silver: 1853 Half-dime & 1876S Seated Quarter / Oldest coin: 1849 US Large Cent / 1854 Upper Canada One Penny Bank Token

Two flying eagle cents? One wasn't enough? lol Sweet hunt, George! Those are some great finds.

george the one on the right looks like a 56!!! <: ya i know willy

WTG SWEET FIND'S
    TDI Pro MXT Pro Mxt V3i 4x6 6x10 9 1/2 10" 12 super 9x14 12"DF 7.5 DF dx-1 garrett pro pointer

Elite Member

George, thems sum sweet digs u got thar. Like dim flien birdies, rel nise. And dat big coin wit de fat man, tis sweet as molasses. Dat der be a nise day of huntin if I do say sir.
    2014 Goals: 20 Silver, 5 Large Coppers, 1 Gold Coin (not anticipating being able to detect much this year; NEW BABY HERE!!)
    So Far: (0) Silver; (2) KG, LC 1807; (2) IH; (3) Buff

2013 Total: 36 Silver; 5LC (including 1 FUGIO)
    2012 Total:101 Silver; 11 LC

Quote Originally Posted by RobW View Post
    George, thems sum sweet digs u got thar. Like dim flien birdies, rel nise. And dat big coin wit de fat man, tis sweet as molasses. Dat der be a nise day of huntin if I do say sir.
    Dank ya vury mch

Quote Originally Posted by wild willy View Post
    george the one on the right looks like a 56!!! <: ya i know willy
    willy..... '56 lol I wish

George, nice finds and if Murphy's Law ever lets go of me we need to get together as I have a 1700 hundreds house we could hit and I am sure the owner will be very OK with it, But until then, pray for me to never hear from Mr. Murphy again.
    Ernie
    Minelab E-Trac, Minelab CTX 3030, XP Deus, Tesoro Cortes

Quote Originally Posted by trout-hunter View Post
    George, nice finds and if Murphy's Law ever lets go of me we need to get together as I have a 1700 hundreds house we could hit and I am sure the owner will be very OK with it, But until then, pray for me to never hear from Mr. Murphy again.
    Ernie
    Hey Ernie, nice to hear from you. We need to get together with or without that 1700's house. I got a good feeling Mr. Murphy is needed somewhere's else lol